DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Comics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

Spider-Geddon #3 is written by Christos Gage based on a Dan Slott story. Spiders are divided into two groups, one led by Otto Octavius the Superior Spider-Man and the other Miles Morales/Spider-Man as SpOck wants to kill the Inheritors. A decent issue though my least favourite of Spider-Geddon. I did like how Otto saved Morales faction and Ben Reilly Scarlet Spider seems pre Scarlet Spider #25. I suspect that to change going on the Spider-Geddon #4 cover. Silk makes an unwelcome first appearance. A character I have very little time for.

Spider-Geddon #4 written by Christos Gage based on a Dan Slott story. The Spiders join together with compromises from the Superior Spider-Man and Miles Morales Spider-Man to stop the Inheritors. I enjoyed most of it, SpOck is one of the key leads and Spiders I like get a showing in PS4 Spider-Man and Spider-Man/Spinneret from Renew Your Vows. I didn’t like what happens to Ben Reilly’s Scarlet Spider though thinking about it, it’s not fucking awful compared to Reilly in Ben Reilly: The Scarlet Spider #25. There might be more to it in Spider-Geddon #5, the conclusion.

Spider-Girls #1 written by Jody Houser and drawn by Andres Genolet is part of Spider-Geddon. We’re in the Renew Your Vows verse as Peter Parker/Spider-Man, Mary Jane Watson-Parker/Spinneret and Annie May Parker/Spiderling get visitors. The visitors are May “Mayday” Parker/Spider-Girl who now goes by Spider-Woman but is better known as the former of Earth-982 and Anya Corazon AKA Spider-Girl senses their presence and help versus the Inheritors. It’s a good setup issue. There’s a powerful moment as Mary Jane is overcome seeing Mayday Parker alive, she’s consoled by Annie/ Mary Jane told Annie about the child they lost in the Renew Your Vows series as happened in Earth-616 before.

I learnt of the alternate timeline where Mayday lived in Spider-Man: The Ultimate Guide as a 2001 present from my parents. I still have it. Only time I’ve come across Anya prior to this is Spider-Verse (2014).

Anya was the reason they kept trying to cancel Spider-Girl.  May was selling respectably, but they couldn't reconcile having a separate timeline specifically for her, so they created a new character, assuming the fans would be idiots and accept ANY Spider-Girl.  It didn't go well.  This was around the same time they introduced Mattie Franklin as another attempted Spider-Girl, so I may be mixing things together here.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Betsy Zeidler said:

Anya was the reason they kept trying to cancel Spider-Girl.  May was selling respectably, but they couldn't reconcile having a separate timeline specifically for her, so they created a new character, assuming the fans would be idiots and accept ANY Spider-Girl.  It didn't go well.  This was around the same time they introduced Mattie Franklin as another attempted Spider-Girl, so I may be mixing things together here.

Cheers, @Betsy Zeidler. Appreciate it.

• Like 1

On 11/26/2018 at 10:58 AM, Betsy Zeidler said:

If wiki is to be believed, Mattie is about as old as Mayday and only tried to be Spider-woman.

On 11/29/2018 at 1:09 PM, The Natural said:

Nick Spencer nailed The Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 5) #10. Will do a bigger review ASAP.

The Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 5, 2018) #9 written by Nick Spencer with Humberto Ramos and Michelle Bandini’s art in Heist: Part 2. Black Cat teams up with Spider-Man as she knows where stolen superhero kit is stored while Mary Jane Watson finds out about the Lookouts. I liked this issue. Black Cat resembles how she was before Dan Slott damaged her, we learn a little more on Odessa Drake/the Thieves Guild, MJ gets a great line and the Lookouts has potential. In a nice touch, the usual Next: Issue # covers not there as “This cover was stolen!”

The Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 5, 2018) #10 written by Nick Spencer with Humberto Ramos and Michelle Bandini’s art in Heist: Part 3. Mary Jane Watson talks at the Lookups, a support group for ordinary people who know superheroes while Spider-Man/Black Cat are caught by Odessa Drake/the Thieves Guild retrieving stolen property of superheroes. The unknown, centipede, rags attired person shows up too.

This was a brilliant issue for how Mary Jane Watson spoke about her life with Peter, wondering at times if he should be with those with powers and the last pages, Spider-Man and the Black Cat’s chat. Black Cat misses who Spider-Man is under the mask and is hurt by her inclusion with everybody else forgetting. What happens next was touching. This had lovely character work for Spidey/MJ/Felicia Hardy. Nick Spencer has fixed Black Cat and Mary Jane Watson from Dan Slott, Cat was especially badly done by him as a crime boss. Shout out to the stolen cover surrounded in crime tape with Black Cat.

Spider-Gwen: Ghost-Spider #2 with the new creative team of Seanan McGuire on story and Rosi Kampe the artist. Gwen Stacy/Spider-Gwen is stranded on a different world needing to return to fight the Inheritors. I thought this was underwhelming as Gwen finds out about Gwen, Harry. Mary Jane Watson from Peter, all of the Earth Spider-Gwen is stuck on.

Spider-Girls #2 May Parker (Spider-Girl), Anya Corazon (Spider-Woman) and Annie May Parker (Spinneret) are to work out Annie’s link to the scrolls used in Spider-Verse/here. This was weak and Corazon does knack all. I did like follow up to what happened in the last story of Renew Your Vows and the art by Andres Genolet who drew the first issue also. Shame Genolet wasn’t available to join Scott Koblish when Jodi Houser became RYV writer with #13.

It seems to be some sort of event either updating a bunch of origins and big stories or having someone go back to make themselves responsible for said events. I have no opinion one way or the other right now as long as it won;t screw with anything I'm reading at the moment.

• Like 1

On 12/14/2018 at 9:53 PM, JonnyLaw said:

Wait, how long has Dr. Andre Nozick been writing comics?

He started off around 2014 I want to say with a couple of short stories in Deadpool annuals and anthologies.  He did a pretty fun Drax/Scott Lang story in Guardians Team-Up, but I think (not positive) the Cosmic Ghost Rider Destroys Marvel History thing is his first longer story.