DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Comics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

Slowly catching up with Star Wars Comics from the last 3-4 months. Finished Poe Dameron and caught up with Doctor Aphra this week.

Poe Dameron was a decent enough ending, but like most of its run nothing special. I'm not sure why, but this comic never really managed to rise above solid bt unremarkable. Poe himself while interesting enough never really hits the levels he does in the films, and they never really managed to make any of the cast particularly interesting outside of Terex. Terex was easily the highlight of the series and I really hope we see him again. Meanwhile so much of the last arc is focused on Poe's Black Squadron crew, and I'm honestly not sure I would have missed any of them had died sans maybe the alien reporter. It was never a bad book, just not nearly as good as it probably should have been given the amount of issues it managed. Kind of annoys me it survived so logn when Kanan's Rebels prequel comics was so good and didn't make it past a year.

I kind of feel like an idiot for not realizing until halfway through the latest arc that Si Spurrier had been co-writing Doctor Aphra. To be fair I think this was his first arc mostly on his own, but he did a wonderful job. What I really like about this and the past arc or two is that they have really hit a fine point in pushing just what type of monster Aphra is. There are hints of occasional morality, but the woman really is obsessed with treasure and protecting herself. As terrible as things end its sort of hard not to argue the Aphra doesn't deserve her fate by the end of the arc. Its even funnier considering the poetic justice comes at the hands of another monster who seems genuinely impressed with Aphra's ruthlessness to get what she wants. The annual also made me happy to see not completely shitty people get one over on Aphra. Looking forward to how things go with the next arc.

12 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I'm not sure how fan behind I am, but I really like the ASM issues where Boomerang took Peter to the villain bar on Spider-man trivia night. 

Only one issue behind. I also liked that arc, felt like an addition to the Superior Foes of Spider-Man. Great series that. So far Nick Spencer is delivering in his Amazing Spider-Man run.

I'm looking into subscribing to Marvel Unlimited. Is there anyway to get it on a Kindle Fire or is Comixology the best way to go? If I go the Comixology route do I get same amount of access like I would with Marvel Unlimited or is it a little more limited with titles? Thanks for the help!

7 hours ago, SouderDrew said:

I'm looking into subscribing to Marvel Unlimited. Is there anyway to get it on a Kindle Fire or is Comixology the best way to go? If I go the Comixology route do I get same amount of access like I would with Marvel Unlimited or is it a little more limited with titles? Thanks for the help!

It's pretty easy to add the Google play services to Fires. And then you can get any Android app.

Comixology Unlimited has a lot less Marvel, but it does have a ton of other stuff. And discounts on buying things from a good chunk of publishers, if you buy things on it regularly.

It took a while for Aarons' Avengers to get there (or anywhere for that matter), but it's there, and it's worth the wait. I'd sort of taken for granted after 9 issues or so that it'd be like Brubaker's Secret Avengers: just a thing, and a kind of disappointing one at that, but nope, it's here and it's grand.

Well Slott's first FFF arcwrapped in issue 3 (why not 4?) and it was just kinda... there. No grand epic feeeling to it. The overall arc was like shaking up a soda can only to find out the contents inside were flat.

James

1 minute ago, J.H. said:

Well Slott's first FFF arcwrapped in issue 3 (why not 4?) and it was just kinda... there. No grand epic feeeling to it. The overall arc was like shaking up a soda can only to find out the contents inside were flat.

James

Slott's not the best at sticking the landing.

2 hours ago, J.H. said:

James

This is disappointing to hear since I quite enjoyed the first issue.

6 hours ago, D.Z said:

Avengers/Wolverine and other marvel spoilers 

Hide contents

The Wolverine that showed up in Marvel Legacy isn't the 616 version. The real one is back in his own series. 

The real Red Skull is back.

Spoiler

I read about Wolverine. Found that interesting since it seems to also connect back to Aaron's Thor and the War for the Realms.

Had no idea about Red Skull. How and why did that happen?

6 minutes ago, Eivion said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I read about Wolverine. Found that interesting since it seems to also connect back to Aaron's Thor and the War for the Realms.

Had no idea about Red Skull. How and why did that happen?

Spoiler

The Red Skull in the Marvel now era was a clone, the real one survived in Aleksander Lukin's mind.

Just now, D.Z said:
  Hide contents

The Red Skull in the Marvel now era was a clone, the real one survived in Aleksander Lukin's mind.

Spoiler

I know about the clone Red Skull. Was l was kind of iffy on him. I didn't realize Lukin's body survived.

On 11/13/2018 at 1:53 PM, Brian Fowler said:

It's pretty easy to add the Google play services to Fires. And then you can get any Android app.

Comixology Unlimited has a lot less Marvel, but it does have a ton of other stuff. And discounts on buying things from a good chunk of publishers, if you buy things on it regularly.

From my experience, you can download Marvel Unlimited onto the Fire, but you can't log in.

So, Rosenberg put out the covers for the next two issues of Uncanny after Disassembled wraps up in #10 with #11 alluding to Cyclops coming back and #12 showing him and Logan with the caption saying "The Last X-Men." 

Not gonna lie, that's intriguing as hell to me. I'm still skeptical about the whole thing, but at least it's tickling my curiosity now. 

22 hours ago, D.Z said:

People are speculating that Cykes and Wolverine (Xforce and deadpool) stay on Earth 616 while Nate whisks the rest of the mutants to a new universe or planet. 

Deadpool isn't a mutant. X-force staying would be odd.