DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Comics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

On 10/17/2018 at 3:21 AM, Brian Fowler said:

I guess if you're a completist? Maybe? Jesus why

I'm perversely entertained by uniquely next level terrible comics. Needs to be on that Uwe Boll level of so terrible as to become strangely compelling in its own way though, so mediocre and plain boring stuff doesn't work for it.

Sort of relatedly, they're putting out a trade of angel Punisher the same month.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, J.H. said:

Didn't Austen write a run on Superman for DC that is almost as reviled as his X-Men run?

James

It was bad, but it didn't have anything "Nightcrawler is half demon" bad afair

The Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 5, 2018) #7 written by Nick Spencer, drawn by Humberto Ramos. A Trivial Pursuit, part two. Peter Parker and Boomerang have to fight their way out of the Bar with no Name. I right enjoyed this funny issue, there’s a sad point in it too. I welcomed the Superior Foes of Spider-Man sequence from the Spencer/Lieber/Rosenberg team. Parker doesn’t like Fred Myers/Boomerang but sees another side to him and gives him a second chance as Pete’s loved ones did for him. Creepy villain who showed up in the first issue of this volume is back. I wonder who it is. Said villain has influence over other villains.

The Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 5, 2018) #8 written by Nick Spencer, drawn by Humberto Ramos. Heist: Part 1. There are new debutants, Odessa Drake and the Thieves Guild making a promising introduction by stealing key kit from superheroes/antiheroes, so you get cameos from them and their funny reactions. Peter Parker’s quips are also on point and I continue to enjoy Pete’s inner narrations since the creative team came on board.

Edited by The Natural

Spider-Geddon #2 is written by Christos Gage based on a story by Dan Slott. Artist is Jorge Molina. The Inheritors are free and the Spiders flee. I liked this issue because Spider-Gwen shouts down the Superior Octopus, loved that, she also gets a heroic moment and the Superior Octopus becomes the Superior Spider-Man again. I’m a fan of SpOck despite Otto’s ego at times. What I didn’t like and the same went for its predecessor is the see what happened here in this title boxes, there’s five of them.

Spider-Gwen: Ghost-Spider #1 with the new creative team of Seanan McGuire on story and Rosi Kampe the artist. The book takes place in different Earths from Gwen’s native Earth-65 to what happens to her in Spider-Geddon #2. The writer gets Gwen’s voice with the odd exception, nice seeing Gwen with two characters we haven’t seen in her world recently and the art is good, less so the fight at the issue’s end. I’m not sure about the brief look we get of where Gwen is in the second half. I think Gwen’s there as her secret identity is public knowledge in Earth-65.

With Spider-Gwen: Ghost-Spider #1’s release on Wednesday of this week, marvel.com has done a piece on The Life and Times of Gwen Stacy:

https://www.marvel.com/articles/comics/the-life-and-times-of-gwen-stacy?linkId=58683962

The Amazing Spider-Man: Worldwide – Go Down Swinging collects The Amazing Spider-Man #797-801. In the title story, #797-800, Norman Osborn as the Green Goblin goes after Peter Parker as he remembers he’s Spider-Man. I read these issues in singles and reviewed them here. Go Down Swinging was the most I’d enjoyed of Dan Slott’s since the Amazing Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows 2015 miniseries.

There’s funny banter between Spidey/a purse snatcher/victim of, how Spider-Man reacts to finding out Osborn is hosting the Carnage symbiote and art in #800 drawn by regular collaborators with Slott. There are faults, Peter needing help from others, a common trope in Slott’s work on the book and the Venom symbiote doing little when Peter sported it.

#801 is better as Spider-Man saves a man’s life early on as a superhero, what he went on to do and the last five pages are a touching closure to Slott’s time as head writer on Spider-Man. Adding to it is Marcos Martin, one of my favourite Spidey artists. The book also collects the variant #797-801 covers.

Hot take: The Streets of Poison storyline from early-90s Captain America is a low-key classic. Cap gets high on drugs and turns heel, then beats the crap out of Daredevil on a playground. And Kingpin and Red Skull strip down to their tighty-whiteys and brawl under a force field in the middle of Shea Stadium. God bless Mark Gruenwald.

• Like 2

On 11/3/2018 at 9:47 PM, mattdangerously said:

Hot take: The Streets of Poison storyline from early-90s Captain America is a low-key classic. Cap gets high on drugs and turns heel, then beats the crap out of Daredevil on a playground. And Kingpin and Red Skull strip down to their tighty-whiteys and brawl under a force field in the middle of Shea Stadium. God bless Mark Gruenwald.

I love that run so much. When DD threw Cap's shield over a fence, I imagined Cap thinking "I'm going to kill this deaf mother fucker."

I thought it did a good (in a fun comics way) job of showing how drugs cloud your judgment. With Cap slowly losing control and his judgment going to shit. 

• Like 2

On 11/3/2018 at 12:47 PM, The Unholy Dragon said:

Look, I realize I may be the only person in the world who will say this, but I can't express how hyped I am to have the first half or so of Mutant X in trade paperback. 

I love that run a lot right up to the point it becomes another mutant dystonia. So much of the team are what if scenarios from my favorite era of the X-Men.

• Like 1

On 11/3/2018 at 12:47 PM, The Unholy Dragon said:

Look, I realize I may be the only person in the world who will say this, but I can't express how hyped I am to have the first half or so of Mutant X in trade paperback. 

First year of Mutant X is legit classic and almost certainly the best thing Mackie ever wrote. It should have ended at #12 like originally planned and not become an ongoing, IMO

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Cliff Hanger said:

First year of Mutant X is legit classic and almost certainly the best thing Mackie ever wrote. It should have ended at #12 like originally planned and not become an ongoing, IMO

I liked it as a long form collection of "What if" stories.  I do agree that it should have been a limited series rather than an ongoing.

12 hours ago, The Unholy Dragon said:

So Donny Cates and Ryan Stegman have been regularly clowning on Twitter thay their Venom run is better than Watchmen. The end result? A Watchmen #1 tribute cover as a variant...by Dave Gibbons.

I'm almost mad at how ridiculously that paid off for them.

How is that Venom run by Coates/Stegman? Thanks.