DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Comics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

1 hour ago, Eivion said:

I thought Aaron was doing the Conan book?

Technically speaking the War of the Realms has already been going on for 3 or more years. I think this will just big the big climax of the story.

That’s why I said “the second” Conan book. I think there might actually be 3 of them eventually.

The Superior Spider-Man #6 (Age of Ultron Tie-in) written by Christos Gage, Dexter Soy is the artist. As the title notes, Superior Spider-Man tries to stop Ultron’s Age of Ultron. It’s a very good issue, once Otto Octavius would covet doing this in his previous Doc Ock guise but that’s changed now he’s Spider-Man via consciousness transfer. SpOck notes his mastery of machines and he will save the day. Sp-Ock is made to look naïve though by Gage as he (Otto) thinks the Ultron is there when it’s not. 

Spider-Geddon #0. The Spider-Man of Marvel’s Spider-Man PS4 video game debuts in the comics by one of the writers of the game, Christos Gage. It’s Earth-1048, Spider-Man is on patrol finding Tarantula and an arrival of the Superior Spider-Man from Earth-616. This was a very good introduction to Sony’s PS4 Spidey. I didn’t expect Superior Spider-Man to show up, Spider-Man fills him in on this world’s Otto Octavius and SpOck chooses to find out more. I liked Clayton Crain’s catchy shiny art. Backup story by Jed MacKay shows the Spiders keeping tabs on the Inheritors from 2014’s Spider-Verse. Spider-Geddon is the sequel to it.

The Superior Octopus #1 written by Christos Gage with Mike Hawthorne’s art. Otto Octavius has relocated to San Francisco fighting crime as the Superior Octopus and when he’s not he’s under an assumed name, Elliot Tolliver. I enjoyed this issue seeing what Otto’s been getting up to, his regrets over Anna Maria Marconi and HYDRA. The story sets out how Otto will drop the Superior Octopus moniker and the Inheritors escape from the radioactive bunker (the latter also features in the backup by Jed MacKay). The creative team of this one-shot will also be behind the new Superior Spider-Man ongoing series out this December. I’m looking forward as I’m a big fan of the character. 

I’m tagging @The Unholy Dragon and @twiztor knowing you do or did read Ben Reilly: The Scarlet Spider.

Ben Reilly: The Scarlet Spider #22-23. The titular Scarlet Spiders, Ben and Kaine go without knowing about the other to the same location. I right enjoyed #22 seeing what Kaine had to go through, a Big Bang Theory gag and the reveal about the people behind the Diogenes Initiative I didn’t see coming. #23, the Scarlet Spiders arrive with the antidote to cure Abigail Mercury, Cassandra Mercury’s ill daughter. Feels like the near end for the book.

Ben Reilly: The Scarlet Spider #24-25. #24 sees Ben Reilly having to survive a hour after Mephisto doctored the thoughts of Cassandra Mercury and Kaine Parker, it’s an issue length fight. It’s a poor issue with bad art by Bruno Oliveira. #25 came out yesterday and is the worst issue of the whole series Oliveira on art duties again, badly written by Peter A David, rushed, someone pops up to show a change in a person’s character and what happens to both Scarlet Spiders.

I started my Spider-Man reading as a kid with the Astonishing Spider-Man, a monthly UK book collecting recent and classic stories. The recent were made up of the Clone Saga as Ben Reilly was found to be the original Peter Parker, Pete’s Spider-Man teaming up with Ben’s Scarlet Spider and Ben taking over as Spider-Man. I found out what happened to Ben after I stopped reading it. I always liked Ben Reilly but he was never brought back despite teasers till Dead no More: The Clone Conspiracy in 2016-2017. Dan Slott using Ben Reilly as the Jackal was wrong because Ben was a superhero and why would he want to be the Jackal after all the former Jackal, Professor Miles Warren did to him.

Ben Reilly is bad once more. Reilly’s attack on Kaine is disturbing. Kaine’s fate is left open but you’d think it would kill him so that’s another death for Kaine, he’s racked them up. This series tried to undo what Dan Slott did to Ben Reilly. #6-7 was the highlight of it only to end where Ben began.

After Dead No More: The Clone Conspiracy and Ben Reilly: The Scarlet Spider, I’d rather Ben Reilly stayed dead. I’d prefer to remember Ben Reilly how he was in the Clone Saga than what he was turned into.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Eivion said:

Never read anything by Donny Cates, but the current Guardians line-up being revealed has me excited for the next book.

You'd probably be well served to poke at his Thanos/Cosmic Ghost Rider stuff just to get a sense of it all. I am interested by the line-up. 

On 10/11/2018 at 3:49 AM, The Natural said:

I’m tagging @The Unholy Dragon and @twiztor knowing you do or did read Ben Reilly: The Scarlet Spider.

Ben Reilly: The Scarlet Spider #22-23. The titular Scarlet Spiders, Ben and Kaine go without knowing about the other to the same location. I right enjoyed #22 seeing what Kaine had to go through, a Big Bang Theory gag and the reveal about the people behind the Diogenes Initiative I didn’t see coming. #23, the Scarlet Spiders arrive with the antidote to cure Abigail Mercury, Cassandra Mercury’s ill daughter. Feels like the near end for the book.

Ben Reilly: The Scarlet Spider #24-25. #24 sees Ben Reilly having to survive a hour after Mephisto doctored the thoughts of Cassandra Mercury and Kaine Parker, it’s an issue length fight. It’s a poor issue with bad art by Bruno Oliveira. #25 came out yesterday and is the worst issue of the whole series Oliveira on art duties again, badly written by Peter A David, rushed, someone pops up to show a change in a person’s character and what happens to both Scarlet Spiders.

Hide contents

I started my Spider-Man reading as a kid with the Astonishing Spider-Man, a monthly UK book collecting recent and classic stories. The recent were made up of the Clone Saga as Ben Reilly was found to be the original Peter Parker, Pete’s Spider-Man teaming up with Ben’s Scarlet Spider and Ben taking over as Spider-Man. I found out what happened to Ben after I stopped reading it. I always liked Ben Reilly but he was never brought back despite teasers till Dead no More: The Clone Conspiracy in 2016-2017. Dan Slott using Ben Reilly as the Jackal was wrong because Ben was a superhero and why would he want to be the Jackal after all the former Jackal, Professor Miles Warren did to him.

Ben Reilly is bad once more. Reilly’s attack on Kaine is disturbing. Kaine’s fate is left open but you’d think it would kill him so that’s another death for Kaine, he’s racked them up. This series tried to undo what Dan Slott did to Ben Reilly. #6-7 was the highlight of it only to end where Ben began.

After Dead No More: The Clone Conspiracy and Ben Reilly: The Scarlet Spider, I’d rather Ben Reilly stayed dead. I’d prefer to remember Ben Reilly how he was in the Clone Saga than what he was turned into.

read the last 3 issues today.  like you, i always thought the idea of Scarlet Spider/Ben Reilly was awesome. Never been a huge Spider-Man fan, but i'm big into alternate universe versions of characters, and Ben Reilly fit that mold for me. I got super excited when they announced the Scarlet Spider series a few years back, only to find out that it was Kaine under the hood, which made me lose interest 100%. Skipped over the Reilly/Jackal stuff because that sounded stupid. Like you said, Ben is a superhero. 

After a false start on my part, i started to quite enjoy this series. the twists with Mephisto, and the whole "one more life to live" deal, and a full-on redemption arc were all great ways to go.  As for the finale, meh. Not what i expected, not what i wanted. Probably a good thing this series came to an end, because i don't like what this sets up and i have no intention to follow it anymore.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, D.Z said:

Adam Warlock, Silver Surfer, Starlord, Some other Groot also part of the new Gotg.

Not really fond of alternate versions of characters being involved, but so much of that team is interesting to me that I can't help but be excited. I really like this line-up. Its also interesting since this its basically sounding like Cates is going with the type of team Quill wanted the Guardians to be in the first place.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, twiztor said:

read the last 3 issues today.  like you, i always thought the idea of Scarlet Spider/Ben Reilly was awesome. Never been a huge Spider-Man fan, but i'm big into alternate universe versions of characters, and Ben Reilly fit that mold for me. I got super excited when they announced the Scarlet Spider series a few years back, only to find out that it was Kaine under the hood, which made me lose interest 100%. Skipped over the Reilly/Jackal stuff because that sounded stupid. Like you said, Ben is a superhero. 

After a false start on my part, i started to quite enjoy this series. the twists with Mephisto, and the whole "one more life to live" deal, and a full-on redemption arc were all great ways to go.  As for the finale, meh. Not what i expected, not what i wanted. Probably a good thing this series came to an end, because i don't like what this sets up and i have no intention to follow it anymore.

Great post.

Spider-Geddon #1 is written by Christos Gage based on a story by Dan Slott. Artist is Jorge Molina. The Inheritors have escaped partly because the Superior Octopus is using their tech. A good start to the event. Miles Morales’ Spider-Man and Superior Octopus get the most coverage of the Spiders. Otto is still a arrogant ass. I LOL’d at his reaction to Miles overpowered venom blast. I wasn’t keen of the choice of the Spiders who got snuffed out though.

6 hours ago, The Unholy Dragon said:

Chuck Austen's X-Men getting collected. I'm already clearing shelf space on my worst ever shelf with Smith's Batman for when it goes on distributor clearance for $2 a year later.

I guess if you're a completist? Maybe? Jesus why