DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Comics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

Daredevil #22 by Mark Waid and illustrated by Chris Samnee. Daredevil comes into contact with the Superior Spider-Man. Stilt-Man then shows up. This was a great story as Daredevil is surprised how Spider-Man is acting out of character even though Matt’s senses say this is Spider-Man. Daredevil notices the lack of humour and wonders if it’s mind control That it is as Doctor Octopus’ is Peter Parker, the Superior Spider-Man. Daredevil bad mouths Doc Ock when he as SpOck recognizes Stilt-Man’s arms were made by him. That’s funny. The issue ends downbeat with Foggy Nelson’s news as he reconciles with Murdock.

Inhumanity: The Superior Spider-Man by Christos Gage. Superior Spider-Man assists the fire service after Attalian came down on New York City. It’s a good one mainly for the ending as the SS-M lets someone off because of the circumstances and SpOck saying the fire brigades are superiors to his Spider army minions on the scene/…and mine. Rare behaviour by the Superior Spider-Man. I liked Stephanie Hans’ painted art.

In the latest Fantastic Four, Franklin lost his ablity to create worlds and Owen is killed by the Griever. Griever and her goons start to dismantle and destroy the new realities created and plan to go after the remaining thousands. And the multiverse isn't infinte post Secret Wars.

8 hours ago, Matt D said:

That level of breaking the social contract aside, Infinity Wars is way more of a gimmick than a story at this point.

This is disappointing to hear. Dughgan's GotG was good, and the idea of Gamora being so obsessed with making her soul complete that it leads her to a very dark path sounded pretty interesting.

Rereading lots of 90's marvel, I don't like most of the art. Distored figures and scratchy ness everywhere. Only Mark Bagley and Ron Lim and George Perez and Alex Ross and Paul Ryan art looks good to me.

Reread 80's book Marvel strike force morituri , it is a very underrated book tbh. Wish they revived the concept, it's very engaging. 

On 9/14/2018 at 6:30 AM, Matt D said:

With four issues in the can, they should have just went Elseworlds with the thing. 

Apparently King's Vision never sold well in the first place which brings up a good question of why they ever asked for a sequel even with the critical success.

7 hours ago, Eivion said:

Apparently King's Vision never sold well in the first place which brings up a good question of why they ever asked for a sequel even with the critical success.

Long tail. It perked up digitally and then they did a directorship cut reissue which sold better than you'd expect that sort of thing to before then doing well in trade.

Sort of what happened with Iceman too. Series cancelled for low sales then did great trade sales so they relaunched it. The current system is killing a lot of books before really determining what their long term or alternate market sales might look like.

I feel like Sandman would have died before Death was introduced if it launched in today's market conditions. No name writer/artist with a new character? Yeah, no.

Which really does make you wonder how many potential Gaimans are slipping through the cracks because they aren't getting those kinds of real, sustained chances.

I've been saying this for a while but I really do think the Big Two need lines where they expect to take an upfront loss and hope to recoup it. Publish weird or new books and give them minimum 18 issues to find their feet (basically up to the second trade's sales numbers coming in). Because while it's cool seeing Iceman and Wasp pop back, they could have had more material when the material was hot if they gave it a longer chance.

• Like 1

1. I don't think this is about sales. I think it's about plans. Either Vision and Vi are going to play into some major company wide event or at least into an Avengers arc or something and this would have put things in the wrong place or it's from higher up the chain in corporate due to them wanting to do a movie/sitcom/whatever. 

2. I actually think Marvel's done a fairly solid job of letting things breathe, even past the point where they should from an immediate profit level. Look at something like Moon Girl. The fact that Marvel Rising is launching later this month and will likely be a success both in ratings and in merchandise sort of shows the benefits of this.

3. It's actually amazing this sort of thing doesn't happen more often.

My understanding is that Moon Girl was golden as soon as the first trade hit the Scholastic market and prior to that it was doing the Ms. Marvel thing of digital pulling higher than normal relative to print. It's less that it was given a ton of rope and more that it was succeeding in markets we lack line of sight for almost immediately.