DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Comics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

The broken A/C and attempts to fix it has made me do some catching up.

Finally finished the King's Vision. That was interesting, dark, and I have no idea how to look at Vision right now. I enjoyed the backstory about how the story came to be.

Caught up with most if not all things Star Wars before this month. Poe Dameron was ok, but I'm glad its finally entering the final stages. The strong point of the series was pretty much Terex. W/o him there there isn't anything too interesting happening. Doctor Aphra was good stuff with Gillen fully pushing Aphra into a certain level of villainous territory w/o the good doctor herself realizing it. The revelation of the Triple Zero's obsession with Aphra was neat. It was also good seeing Hera. One thing I have to say is that while I do find the relationship with Tolvan somewhat cute, it does distract perhaps a bit too much from the more messed up shit Aphra does. Vader was good as expected. Dug seeing how Mon Cala fell and the general relationship between Vader and Tarkin. The one shot with Tarkin hunting Vader was especially great. I like how Star Wars tied in to Vader somewhat with you getting to see how the Mon Calamarins went full in on the Rebellion. The big betrayal in 50# was expected, but I like how it played out and it will be interesting to see how all of it is settled. Finally finished the Thrawn mini. That was great stuff and makes me so curious about whether or not they will go anywhere with it. It actually opens up a ton with the way the Rebels tv show ended.as well. I so hope more of this gets explored.

Spoiler

Two Psylockes, Two Matt Murdocks, Two Dr Stranges, Two Rouges, Two Peters are runing around in the Marvel Universe.

Also the Marvel Super Heroes are an infection to protect the planet. Similar to Earth X but in reverse. Virus instead of anti bodies, eternals instead of Inhuman stuff. 

I read Marvel: The Lost Generation by John Byrne and Roger Stern. Appropriately this book is mostly forgotten and ignored by Marvel. The timing of its creation was unfortunate because Bill Jemas and Joe Quesada had just taken over. Which lead to my sabbatical from comics and I never really returned. Marvel did not do much to promote this or books like X-Men: The Hidden Years or Spider-Girl. Because they do not match the aesthetic of the Marvel Knights books. They are traditional comics done well. 

But Lost Generation is not as traditional as you would think. It does one experiment I have not seen many times, it starts at the end and counts down to the origin. The entire cast is killed in the first issue. Now you can read the book from one to twelve which is what I did. The lead character (to the degree there is one) is a time traveler from the 22nd century. Who is dealing with a Skrull invasion, but in this time they are trying to do it thru diplomacy. Cassandra (the time traveler) needs proof they have been interfering with earth since the fifties. 

So I should explain the premise for the series. We all get Marvel time, the Fantastic Four got their powers seven or ten years ago. When FF #1 that meant they were about fifteen years from the end of the war and the golden age of heroes. But in 2000, that time has grew and grew.  So Byrne created a story of a generation of heroes between the end of the Invaders and the creation of the Fantastic Four. 

I found this idea cool at the time and still do. Moreso since I am open to the idea of looking at the years FF was being published. 

So each issue skips a few years and we get a glimpse of the team known as the Front Line. Their were a few heroes that are present in every era but you also see characters you never get to know. Just enough to want to know more. 

The comparison I would make is to Byrne's Batman/Superman: Generations, which I absolutely love. The difference being, we see the story of heroes we never knew. With appearances from characters who would have been been around at the time. Thor, Doctor Strange, Bloodstone, the Eternals, Amnesic Namor among others. Oddly no appearances by the fifties Avengers/Agents Of Atlas characters. But that might have muddied the issue. 

From what I can tell, Lost Generation was mentioned briefly in Secret Invasion. 

I would like to see Byrne/Stern get to tell some more stories set in the Lost Generation. I think the concept would make a good movie.

The series should be pretty cheap. But if somebody wants to read it in other ways, you can shoot me a PM.

So... Magneto is back to being a mustache-twirling villain at the end of this week's X-Men Blue.  New Asteroid M, Brotherhood and everything. Can't really say I like that much at all, but Bunn's on-record as thinking Erik's a true villain, so this was probably always going to be the endgame for Blue aside from sending the O5 back.

Extermination was pretty decent, though Teen Cyke being an overly emotional moron and getting the team in trouble was highly annoying. Ahab's new trick with the Hounds is interesting and I wonder who else will get turned. Have a feeling on how Mimic's gonna be used after getting kidnapped and judging by the last scene with teen Angel, he's not gonna have a real good time.

The Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 5, 2018) #4 written by Nick Spencer with Ryan Ottley on art duties. Peter Parker and Spider-Man are split into two separate people. Said split has done the same for their attributes causing differences. I really liked this issue for the inner narration of Peter Parker, a well written scene with Peter Parker and his Aunt May plus humour in the story. Next issue concludes this arc.

The Amazing Spider-Man #300 by David Micheline with Todd McFarlane’s art. Spider-Man thought he was rid of the symbiote after freeing himself from it. Now it’s found a new host, Venom. I really liked this milestone issue as Spidey faces Venom for the first time, the difficulties Venom causes in frightening Mary Jane Watson-Parker and when fighting Spider-Man. Good references back to how the symbiote doesn’t trigger spider-sense, the church location and how Spidey defeats Venom. The black costume/symbiote of Spider-Man holds up to this day, such a difference to the traditional and always #1 red and blues.

The Amazing Spider-Man #600. Dan Slott’s written three anniversary issues for the Amazing Spider-Man, #600 (2009), #700 (2012) and #800 (2018). This was the one I hadn’t read. Doctor Octopus is dying so takes control of mechanisms in New York City via his brainwaves as a parting gift. Its interesting delving in the past and knowing what followed. The seeds sown too.

I liked the issue with talk regarding Spider-Man’s secret identity, how he’s been revealing it more lately after One More Day and the guest appearances are relevant as Daredevil/the Fantastic Four/the Avengers are based in the city. Fun is had with Spidey and the Human Torch playing off one another, chuckled at Johnny hitting on captured girls Pete knows in his civilian guise. Forgot the issue also sees J Jonah Jameson Sr. marry May Reilly Parker-Jameson and Mary Jane Watson shows. Was this her first appearance in Brand New Day?

https://www.newsarama.com/41710-uncanny-x-men-relaunch-to-reveal-something-big-affecting-all-marvel-mutants.html

I gotta be honest, rolling with possibly ANOTHER extinction-level event for the X-Men after what's happened the last 12 years makes me not want to even bother the Uncanny relaunch this time. I know I'm being cynical and all, but Marvel hasn't exactly inspired any confidence that they know what they're doing when it comes to the X-line.

On 9/5/2018 at 9:48 PM, D.Z said:

Noticed Venom is weak from electric attacks now, something borrowed from the old ultimate universe. I also noticed the Ringer is wearing his ultimate costume as well.

I thought he was always weak to electricity. Could swear I saw a story where he was defeated by a shock in the 90s. 

10 hours ago, Eivion said:

The sad thing I don't think this is the actually proper relaunch despite the name. Its really just the next event with the actual relaunch happening later.

They were talking on House to Astonish that by calling this upcoming thing Disassembled, they were doing what they just did with Avengers before the Aaron run started. 

11 hours ago, Victator said:

I thought he was always weak to electricity. Could swear I saw a story where he was defeated by a shock in the 90s. 

Handbooks and writers would say that only fire and sound works. Electric attacks working on Venom in the past may had been an error or attempted possible weakness that was dropped by writers. Symbiotes used to be able to go through electric wires in the older comics.

Secret Wars changed things up here and there, the 616 history is mostly intact with added things.

For several examples, Fantastic Four powers seems to only work when all four are next to each to others in the same universe. Miles was inserted in history with his family and friends along with Kong. Regent too. Several dead characters not being dead as if they never died in the first place. 

2 hours ago, odessasteps said:

They were talking on House to Astonish that by calling this upcoming thing Disassembled, they were doing what they just did with Avengers before the Aaron run started. 

That was the sense i got goign off of the BC articles I skimmed. Makes me wonder if none of the writers involved will be doing the new Uncanny book when it at actually launches.