DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Comics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

On 8/1/2018 at 10:57 PM, Ace said:

Death of the Inhumans is some god-awful shit. As are the half-dozen Return of Wolverine miniseries. I already want him dead and gone again. 

Marvel's master-class in killing a property has been truly amazing to watch these last few years.

Spider-Gwen (Vol. 2) #30. A problem in space and time has moved Spider-Gwen/Gwenom to Earth-616 set early into it so she meets Gwen Stacy and other characters from it A fun issue for this and seeing Robbie Rodriguez draw them in his unique style. A funny reference to clones by the original Gwen too. Shame the second half doesn’t match the better first. This is the beginning of The Life of Gwen Stacy but the cover graphic has it under Gwenom still.

Spider-Gwen (Vol. 2) #31. Part 2 of the Life of Gwen Stacy. A mostly good issue for Earth-65’s Captain America guest appearance, Gwen Stacy-65 and 616’s Gwen talk together and a great cliffhanger picking up on  an event back in Edge of Spider-Verse #2, Spider-Gwen’s debut. I just didn’t like an arrival of another Gwen, Earth-617 from the future as you could do this without her. Said Gwen gets a bio, a comment in it is apt (“Ugh, enough time travel, Latour”).

Spider-Gwen (Vol. 2) #32. Part 3 of the Life of Gwen Stacy. Gwen Stacy has revealed she’s Spider-Woman (see, Spider-Gwen) and who Matt Murdock is, the Kingpin of Crime to the Daily Bugle. By doing so there are notable consequences. I liked this issue for certain reactions to Gwen outing herself and Murderdock in difficulties, that doesn’t happen. The bio is on Spider-Gwen and Spider-Man (Earth-8), the children of Spider-Gwen and Mile Morales who marry. It’s the beginning of the end of Spider-Gwen under the original creative team with Spider-Gwen #34. #34 from the second volume, 5 from the first plus her Edge of Spider-Verse #2 debut and one annual.

Spider-Gwen (Vol. 2) #33. The penultimate issue of Spider-Gwen and part 4 of the Life of Gwen Stacy as she faces trial for what she’s done as Spider-Woman. Only thing I liked from it were characters showing up from the book’s time like She-Hulk, Spider-Ham and the fact file is on Bodega Bandit, a speculative one which is different to the norm. An interesting rumour from it is the possible rich father of Bodega Bandit is *I’ve redacted*.

Spider-Gwen (Vol. 2) #34 not only concludes the Life of Gwen Stacy, also the original creative team’s who created Spider-Gwen, Jason Latour/Robbie Rodriguez/Rico Renzi’s run. A fitting farewell it is starting with the cover paying homage to Edge of Spider-Verse’s #2 cover where Spider-Gwen debuted, callbacks to that in the story and a heart to heart talk with Gwen/George Stacy. Said talk is about those who do/don’t like Spider-Gwen, doing things differently. In Earth-65, Spider-Gwen was always called Spider-Woman but now as Spider-Gwen, the way we know her.

The book ends with the creative team, editors talking about Spider-Gwen and giving thanks. I wish to do the same having been with Gwendolyn Stacy/Spider-Woman/Spider-Gwen from her start in Edge of Spider-Verse #2, Spider-Verse Team-Up #2, Spider-Verse, two volumes of her own book in Spider-Gwen, Spider-Gwen Annual #1, Spider-Women, owning two posters and two Spider-Gwen Funko Pops.

14 hours ago, Eivion said:

I see no teen original five. That pleases. Oh they remembered Evan exists. That pleases me more. If only that title and No one survives thing wasn't there.

See, that's the thing, they'll all die and the teenage original five will be the only X-Men left.

• Thanks 1

The Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 5, 2018) #3 written by Nick Spencer, art by Ryan Ottley. The issue starts with a well done four page tribute to the late Steve Ditko, 1927-2018. The tribute rightly includes the legendary sequence from the Amazing Spider-Man #33 (1966) as Spider-Man is trapped under a mass of steel. In this issue, Spider and Man are split, yes two different people through the Isotope Genome Accelerator. This was a really good issue for reactions to this separation of two, funny inner narration by Peter particularly when he’s meeting Curt Connors and the story opens up with morons hunting animals for trophies get what’s coming to them. Nick Spencer is 3/3 so far on the book.

Waid on Pym in 2018:

"Not really. As much as I love Hank Pym as a character, there just seems to be no redeeming him in the readers’ eyes, so making plans with Hank seems a waste. Shame, but I understand why one dumb writer/artist mistake made the character unsalvageable by inadvertently turning Hank into a domestic abuser. Ah, well."

48 minutes ago, Player One said:

Is Hank really regarded as unsalvageable?  That's news to me (though I admittedly stick to the outer fringe of the hobby and am often not up on current news and trends).

If Mark Waid thinks so, then yes.

In that half the base of writers out there see him as a wife-beater so will always go back to that well?

I have no idea. 

It's not that you can't do interesting things with Pym. You absolutely can and people try every few years. Pym as someone who has mental health issues that drove him to both heroism and ruin is fairly interesting in 2018. The world basically caught up to him. Pym who is resentful of Richards and Stark and who relates more to Banner is interesting. They've done bits and pieces of that. There's a ton you can do with Pym as a troubled character. Hell, it's not like Pym as a human face for Ultron where you never quite know which one of the two you're dealing with (and you can never be sure if it even matters), isn't inherently interesting. It is. There's a real sense of horror to him over the last few years and I thought he was used well by Remender or whoever in Uncanny Avengers. I don't think most of that is what any of you are talking about though. You just can't go back to 1963 with him as the square jawed scientist diving into the unknown.

I think there's a GREAT 25 issue series of Pym trying and deeply struggling to live up to Nadia's vision of him as a parent, being both wildly dissonant from the truth and from how everyone else in the MU sees him. It's maybe one of the very best things Marvel could do right now, to be honest. 

I think contemporary culture has shown there will always be a segment of people unwilling to forgive people for past transgressions, large or small, no matter how much rehabilitation they receive. That holds true for real people and fictional characters. 

6 hours ago, Matt D said:

In that half the base of writers out there see him as a wife-beater so will always go back to that well?

I have no idea. 

It's not that you can't do interesting things with Pym. You absolutely can and people try every few years. Pym as someone who has mental health issues that drove him to both heroism and ruin is fairly interesting in 2018. The world basically caught up to him. Pym who is resentful of Richards and Stark and who relates more to Banner is interesting. They've done bits and pieces of that. There's a ton you can do with Pym as a troubled character. Hell, it's not like Pym as a human face for Ultron where you never quite know which one of the two you're dealing with (and you can never be sure if it even matters), isn't inherently interesting. It is. There's a real sense of horror to him over the last few years and I thought he was used well by Remender or whoever in Uncanny Avengers. I don't think most of that is what any of you are talking about though. You just can't go back to 1963 with him as the square jawed scientist diving into the unknown.

I think there's a GREAT 25 issue series of Pym trying and deeply struggling to live up to Nadia's vision of him as a parent, being both wildly dissonant from the truth and from how everyone else in the MU sees him. It's maybe one of the very best things Marvel could do right now, to be honest. 

I've never read Pym from 1963. My first bit of comics Pym was Avengers Academy, and he was used quite well in that. Really the Ultron merge by Remender is kind of what set him off the rails again.

I mentioned Pym being a writers' issue because I recall hearing that every time someone had essentially done a good job using/rehabilitating Hank someone else would come along and crap on it so they could go back to the abuser and mental issues.

Silver Age Pym is your proto typical 50s science hero, fighting commies and wacky villains. 

I've not read any Silver Age Avengers lately, but my memory is that House Roy started with his inferiority complex which led to Hank becoming Yellowjacket and it was all downhill from there.