DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Comics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

1 hour ago, Player One said:

Ugh.

I am surprised they kept Wolverine dead this long.  Though that probably has something to do with his movie rights.

Plus, having Old Man Logan running around meant there was still a Wolverine to use. Not to mention Laura, Daken, young James Howlett, etc. 

9 hours ago, Eivion said:

I want to say BC has already mentioned Uncanny is coming back though the creative team hasn't been decided yet.

Jordan White's been pretty tight-lipped about it when asked, so the BC rumor could definitely be true. Not really expecting an A-list creative team, though it'd be nice.

3 hours ago, D.Z said:

1531964993180.jpg

/projectile vomits

Just... WHY?

On 6/8/2018 at 1:05 PM, The Natural said:

Free Comic Book Day 2018: The Amazing Spider-Man. I’d argue this was the most anticipated FCBD offering as its by the new creative team on the book, Nick Spencer and Ryan Ottley. Some of Spider-Man’s quips were funny, liked the use of Wilson Fisk as I did in Spencer’s Secret Empire. Not keen on Pete flat sharing with Randy Roberson and someone in the cliffhanger. Pressure on Nick Spencer with Captain America is HYDRA controversy and following Dan Slott’s long run on Spider-Man. I’ll certainly be getting the first issue and probably till #3 to see what it does for me.

UPDATE: I write my reviews out then type them up. After writing this I nipped online to find the announcement of a Spider event already teased as Spidergeddon. Spider-Verse II? Spider cull? Something for other Spiders besides Peter keeping them busy?

The Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 5) #1. written by Nick Spencer, artist is Ryan Ottley. Things aren’t going well for Peter Parker/Spider-Man more so his civilian guise. How was this issue under the new creative team? A most encouraging start as there’s consequences for Peter when Otto Octavius transferred his consciousness to Parker’s body and Spider-Man saves the day from alien bugs despite Avengers/Defenders on the scene. The last two pages of the main story have something we’ve wanted to see a while but I’m wary as it’s been teased before. The book has surprises and that goes for the backup tale too.

In weird news, John Byrne is writing and pencilling a new X-Men comics...bootleg style, as a webcomic on his site. It's in the style of X-Men Forever with Byrne running with the ending of the Dark Phoenix Saga where Jean was the Phoenix and lives. 

All of which feels very bonkers and very Byrne.

I'm going to take Marvel not sending a cease and desist order as confirmation that there's something to the rumors that Byrne will eventually do another Marvel book.

'I'm the only person who liked X-Men: The Hidden Years, so I'm interested in this.

WTF. Why, fucking why does Marvel (and DC too I suppose) keep trying to shoehorn in new/different powers or abilities for classic characters. It never fucking works and the end result is trying some hamfisted way to get that character back to normal. Is there this clamoring among comic fans that want new shit powers for characters that never stick?

Also, why can't it just be that Wolverine is back?! Isn't that fucking mystery enough? Isn't there more than enough to explore with just that alone? No, something is up with his claws, which would make you think the rest of his skeleton gets blazing hot too, but apparently not because fire claws are kewl - BUT WHY DOES HE HAVE FIRE CLAWZ?

READ ON, TRUE BELIEVERS!

I mean, the way they killed him was pretty darn definitive in the first place although they already addressed the hardest part to get past (how did he get out of a case of solid adamantium?)

I don't mind them going kinda bonkers with it even if the baseline is silly. That said they kinda already passed that up when they had him have an Infinity Stone and then give away said Infinity Stone before ever explaining how he got it or why.

If we're gonna fixate on a part of this it should really be the BACK IN COSTUME bit. Honestly they should have gone whole hog and had Logan show his whole hog, sixty issues of Wolverine buck naked. There's a new and interesting angle for you!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, The Unholy Dragon said:

I mean, the way they killed him was pretty darn definitive in the first place although they already addressed the hardest part to get past (how did he get out of a case of solid adamantium?)

I don't mind them going kinda bonkers with it even if the baseline is silly. That said they kinda already passed that up when they had him have an Infinity Stone and then give away said Infinity Stone before ever explaining how he got it or why.

If we're gonna fixate on a part of this it should really be the BACK IN COSTUME bit. Honestly they should have gone whole hog and had Logan show his whole hog, sixty issues of Wolverine buck naked. There's a new and interesting angle for you!

That sounds like some Eastern Promises type shit.

IDW will be publishing an all ages Marvel line because Marvel apparently can't be trusted to create or market to kids anymore. Spider-man leading the pack as an ensemble with Miles and Spider-Gwen, Avengers and Black Panther to follow. No plans to have any of them crossover. 

It sounds like a really fun little line honestly.

8 hours ago, The Unholy Dragon said:

IDW will be publishing an all ages Marvel line because Marvel apparently can't be trusted to create or market to kids anymore. Spider-man leading the pack as an ensemble with Miles and Spider-Gwen, Avengers and Black Panther to follow. No plans to have any of them crossover. 

It sounds like a really fun little line honestly.

The last time Marvel did an all-ages line, it was actually really good.

Uncanny X-Men is back. No creative team listed but 4 issues are already done

And the X-Men black thing is one shots not a series. Leaving only X-men Red as the sole colour labled book.