DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Comics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

On 6/18/2018 at 5:15 PM, dogwelder said:

Bleeding Cool has spoilers for the X-Men wedding issue.  Sure does seem like Russo-level booking.

Haven't read the issue yet, but I'm kind of ok with this though its weird they did it in a book where two of the characters haven't really been involved much.

14 hours ago, Eivion said:

Haven't read the issue yet, but I'm kind of ok with this though its weird they did it in a book where two of the characters haven't really been involved much.

I just read it. I hadn't been spoiled except for the fact something big happened and I saw the Russo comment. As such I was expecting a Russo thing and it actually came off as way more believable and natural than I would have expected. As someone who was hugely, hugely engaged with all of this stuff in his teenage years (like a lot of us), it actually worked quite well for me. 

• Like 2

I liked the timing of having Slotts final (I presume) Spidey and first Iron Man ship the same day. DC prob would have shipped one of them a week late.

I only skimmed them, but Spidey looked quite the tear jerker.

Quite the big week overall, with those 2, Avengers, JL, Cap, Batman shipping today. 

---

A little late, but I liked Chips M2in1 annual with Ben and Doom in a very Hickman story. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Matt D said:

I just read it. I hadn't been spoiled except for the fact something big happened and I saw the Russo comment. As such I was expecting a Russo thing and it actually came off as way more believable and natural than I would have expected. As someone who was hugely, hugely engaged with all of this stuff in his teenage years (like a lot of us), it actually worked quite well for me. 

I had a similar reaction; it was bittersweet and felt real.  And the big surprise at the end?

Not gonna lie, Remy's vow made me a little misty.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Finally made it to Iron Man #1. That's probably Marvel's best #1 in years. 

Good to hear. I asked my LCS if he had a spare one to put it aside for me.

Subject of #1's, Deadpool's was most unappealing.

On 6/19/2018 at 11:44 AM, Dragonzombie said:

1529371210559.jpg

Okay, help out an old guy who is way behind on his comics. I recognize Moon Knight, of course (at one time I was foolish enough to attempt to have a complete set of every comic he appeared in, thankfully I smartened up),  at first I was elated to think that they were doing something with the Blazing Skull, but he doesn't have fangs, so I'm guessing that's Vengeance. That looks like a weirdo version of Iron Man, but probably isn't, the others I'm clueless about though quite intrigued.

It's a group of combined Marvel characters, I forget what all of them are combinations of. The Moon Knight one is a SpiderMan/Moonknight combo, there's Ghost Rider/Black Panther and Captain America/Dr Strange, I forgot who x23 and Iron man are combined with. The picture seems to be a teaser of something Marvel might be planning but idk.

7 hours ago, OSJ said:

recognize Moon Knight, of course (at one time I was foolish enough to attempt to have a complete set of every comic he appeared in, thankfully I smartened up), 

I have the two Epic collections in my comixology library, which takes us well into his first solo series. The solo book is superb, as was the Hulk Magazine run that preceded it. 

But all the random appearance before that Hulk Magazine? Ugh. Unreadable. It's a wonder they were able let the character last long enough for Moench to find his groove. 

On 6/20/2018 at 4:49 PM, odessasteps said:

I liked the timing of having Slotts final (I presume) Spidey and first Iron Man ship the same day. DC prob would have shipped one of them a week late.

I only skimmed them, but Spidey looked quite the tear jerker.

Quite the big week overall, with those 2, Avengers, JL, Cap, Batman shipping today. 

---

A little late, but I liked Chips M2in1 annual with Ben and Doom in a very Hickman story. 

It was. Review be up when back on my knackered computer.

15 hours ago, The Natural said:

It was. Review be up when back on my knackered computer.

The Amazing Spider-Man #801 by Dan Slott and Marcos Martin. Spider-Man rescues a man from a robbery. This was a great issue by Dan Slott ending his long on the book on a high. Marcos Martin is one of my favourite Spider-Man artists. The highlights are the retelling of Spider-Man’s origin from Peter Parker’s first person view, Spider-Man’s earliest days as a superhero, the rescued man’s lifetimes thanks to Spidey’s save, him aiding the wall-crawler in the now and the last couple of pages gave me shivers. There’s a piece at the end by Dan Slott and Spider-Man Editor Nick Lowe on Slott’s Spider-Man.

The Amazing Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows (Vol. 2) #15 #15 concludes the first storyline from the Houser/Roche team as the Amazing Spider-Man, Spinneret and Spiderling help the Lizard out in a solid issue.

The Amazing Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows (Vol. 2) #16 #16 begins a new story, Fast Times at Midtown High as Peter starts teaching photography at Annie’s school. I liked Peter teaching. Peter as a teacher was a strength of Joseph Michael Straczynski’s Spider-Man  run (2001-2007). I really didn’t like how Annie behaved to her father. Nathan Stockman is on art, prefer his to Roche’s. I’d rather have someone else. I’m thinking about dropping the book and I’ve read the title since the ongoing miniseries by Dan Slott/Adam Kubert and the ongoing which began with Gerry Conway/Ryan Stegman. Aging Annie up has proven to be a mistake as most felt it would be.

The Amazing Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows (Vol. 2) #17 Annie May-Parker comes across two kids at school gaining powers, she checks up on them wanting to without her parents involvement. A good issue, Annie is written better unlike last time’s series worst. Two times under Jody Houser’s writing, she’s unlikeable. I prefer Nathan Stockman’s art to Nick Roche nut prefer someone else.

The Amazing Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows (Vol. 2) #18 Two students made themselves super-powered as Annie walked in, she acts the same to keep eyes on them. One wants revenge on Norman Osborn Jr. This was a good conclusion to Fast Times at Midtown High seeing a brief flashback to Spiderling as a kid again, Norman Osborn Jr. back and the talk between Spiderling and Spider-Man/Spinneret about her actions.

New knowledge: Marvel did two issues of Sledge Hammer! in 1988, with one issue guest-starring Satana and the other featuring Spidey.  This means there is an Earth in the Marvel multiverse where Sledge and John Walker just sat in a bar for 4 hours screaming about COMMIES(TM) and eventually team up to fight the Watchdogs without the self-awareness to realize they're right-wing menaces rather than left-wing menaces.  I kind of want to see this hypothetical story.

The Pokemon-themed X-Men books is getting bit annoying now. Kinda hoping Marvel will at least hint at Uncanny coming back since both Gold and Blue are ending after Extermination. Guessing Black will be Mags' new Brotherhood. Shame Bunn won't be writing it, though.