DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Comics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

On 4/6/2018 at 5:20 PM, The Natural said:

Secret Wars, Back in Black and Renew Your Vows (an alternate Earth miniseries) are the ones off the top of my head.

20 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Kraven's Last Hunt had the black costume as well. 

I feel like maybe briefly during Larsen's Amazing he wound up wearing it because all of his regular suits got destroyed. 

The Death of Jean DeWolff, the Return of the Sin Eater, and the Alien Costume Saga going into Spider-Man vs. Venom in Amazing Spider-Man #300 also sport Spider-Man's black costume.

The Amazing Spider-Man #798 came out this week. The second part of Go Down Swinging, Dan Slott’s closure to his Spider-Man run. This was great with Spider-Man and the Green Goblin going at it along with Peter Parker’s reaction to learning Norman Osborn’s attached to the Carnage symbiote. Also great is Stuart Immonen on art and Alex Ross’ cover.

still on my massive X-Men read. just finished Legion Quest, and wow. i was describing the storyline to my wife and she said "that's some heavy stuff, let alone for a comic book". for sure. powerful stuff.

this of course leads in to one of my top two storylines of all time, the Age of Apocalypse. I'm pretty pumped, but i think I'll check something else out for a short while and let this simmer.

Jay & Miles X-Plain The X-Men cover Bishop joining the team this week and they point out that Forge is kind of a dick to Storm when he leaves the team (especially since she was going to say yes to marry him). I think I need to go back and start re-reading the post Claremont era. I was working at Marvel at the time but had little interest in how the characters were being written and didn't care for Bishop... I might need to give him another shot in hindsight

James

John Byrne was writing the book at the time and said Bishop was created by marketing. That their was going to be a new X-Man named Bishop and he had to be black. 

As a character I thought that was liberating. Since he was a blank slate and you could do what you wanted with him. So like Cable you could put him in any environment. 

Has anyone here read the full Essential X-Men series. That is how I read the classic X-Men stories. The last volume is a mess as Bob Harras decided to kill the golden goose. Despite that, the final story ends up working as a series finale. Even if it turns out Magneto is a dickhead no matter what. It adds a pathos to him. 

• Like 1

Ben Reilly: The Scarlet Spider #15-17 is part of the Damnation crossover. Mephisto’s hotel has arisen in Las Vegas where Ben Reilly’s based. Scarlet Spider has to battle Mephisto’s demons including superheroes turned into them. Ben’s forced for Aunt June’s safety. #15 is a setup for it. #16’s where it’s at peaked by Reilly’s Scarlet Spider badly misjudging two things, the first is funny while the second ends the issue on a controversial note. It’s a callback to an infamous chapter of Spider-Man’s history. #17, Ben’s not sure whether to go through with it. I’ll be only reading the Scarlet Spider Damnation issues.

You still reading/jumped on,  @The Unholy Dragon and @twiztor?

1 hour ago, Victator said:

John Byrne was writing the book at the time and said Bishop was created by marketing. That their was going to be a new X-Man named Bishop and he had to be black. 

I completely forgot that Byrne was writing X-Men at that time.  I read the quoted part and said "That's not right, is it?"  Looked it up. Nope. it's right.  I remembered Whilce Portacio was drawing the book.  Actually, I remember that run fairly well, mainly for Portacio's art and some cool looking character designs.  I really liked Whilce Portacio's art back then.  Judging from the response his name gets at the LCS, I might be the only one.

Whatever happened to the two dudes who came back from the future (I think that was where Bishop came from) with Bishop in his first appearance?  I vaguely remember two guys with him, wearing the same blue outfit with a red bandana or something around the neck.  I can't remember what became of those two (may have been killed off right away or something.  Can't recall).

• Like 1

I think they died in that first appearance. Byrne was not there very long, he was frustrated with how late the art was, editorial was way too heavy handed, which is what ran Claremont off. Finally he said he did not really like what the X-Men had become. 

I think Harras got Byrne to try to make transitioning from Claremont easier. But at that point, Harras just wanted a writing bot to write the book for him. 

take into account Byrne was also writing Iron Man at he time and writing and writing and drawing Namor, so he was pretty busy. Harras felt that it was the artist that were selling the books and and Claremont (and in the case of New Mutants, Louise Simonson's) writing. In the end, Harras missed the point that the one consistent thing for 17 years on UXM was Chris Claremont and in the end backing the artists instead of the writers (in regards to story content) bit Marvel as a whole in the ass

James

And the thing is, Claremont could get you another Jim Lee. It was Claremont recruiting these artists and not Harras or Ann Nocenti. That is not a slam on Nocenti, she let Claremont do what he needed to do and the books thrived. He was the one who discovered guys like Paul Smith and Silversti. He tried to get Alan Davis on X-Men and did get him on Excalibur. 

This is like killing the golden goose for its latest egg. Then the egg fucks you over. 

• Like 2

Nick Spencer interview about Amazing Spider-Man, he and Ryan Ottley are the new creative team:

Nick Spencer has written his way to the top of the heap of Marvel’s elite, and he gets to prove it like never before with Amazing Spider-Man, inarguably one of the most prized gigs in comics. Now, we dig a little deeper into what Spencer calls “the book of my dreams.”

Marvel: Congratulations on landing ASM. It’s quite an assignment, following up Dan Slott and coming at a time when the character is getting renewed life in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Are you feeling ready?

Nick Spencer: It’s the best gig in comics and the job I’ve dreamed of since I was a kid, so it’s all still a little surreal. The first time I met with [Marvel Editor in Chief] C.B. Cebulski, probably a decade ago now, I told him that this was all I really wanted to do. So to actually be here, working on this, it’s equal parts terrifying and exciting. Which means no, I don’t feel ready. But something would be wrong if I did. You channel that fear and those nerves and that sense of challenge into telling the best stories you possibly can. That’s part of the fun.

Marvel: What kind of book will your Amazing Spider-Man be? For every new writer, there’s always the struggle to balance the competing interests — and screen time — of Spider-Man and Peter Parker. What’s going to be your take on that?

Nick Spencer: The story really always begins and ends with Peter. He’s the heart and soul of the thing, and what makes Spider-Man special. You’re always trying to balance those personal struggles with the high-flying adventure, and in the best stories the two are playing off of and feeding off each other, dovetailing in weird and wonderful ways. Being Spider-Man should always come at a cost to Peter — that’s the great responsibility that comes with the great power.

One thing that struck me looking at the history of Spider-Man comics is how many different kinds of stories you can tell with the character. He can bounce between genres and tones so easily, I want to take full advantage of that. So some months there will be laughs, some months there will be tears. In some stories the universe itself is in danger, in other stories Peter’s missing laundry is in danger. We want to just tell good, foundational Spidey stories. We keep saying “Back to Basics” for a reason. We want to give people the Spidey they’ve known and loved for decades, and remind them why he’s the best character in comics.

Marvel: Which supporting characters from Spidey’s storied past will get prominence as you launch the series?

Nick Spencer: I have to be careful here, as I don’t want to tip my hand too much on what’s to come, but I will say a big part of the thrill of this job is getting to write the best supporting cast in comics. I’m excited about writing Aunt May, and giving her a story where she’s really controlling her own destiny and showing us how Peter was raised by a hero in her own right. The whole Daily Bugle crew will get some key stories. I’m working closely with Chip Zdarsky on some really cool Jonah stuff; he’s telling what I think is a definitive JJJ story over in Spectacular, so I wanted to make sure anything we do on that front complements his stellar work there. Randy Robertson is a character we haven’t seen a lot of for a while, but he’ll have a prominent role. And expect to see a lot of Felicia Hardy, as she’s one of my all-time favorite characters. Little-known trivia: What eventually became Superior Foes of Spider-Man was originally a Black Cat pitch.

Marvel: Ryan Ottley comes over to draw Amazing Spider-Man from a career-defining run (so far) on Invincible. This will be his first major foray into the Marvel Universe, and it’s on your debut Spider-Man book. How’s that work for you?

Nick Spencer: Yeah, pretty great, to put it mildly. Ryan is one of the best artists working in comics today. What he and Robert Kirkman did on Invincible is just remarkable. And now to see him on Amazing Spider-Man, it’s just such a perfect fit. I really think he could end up being one of those quintessential Spidey artists, right up there with the greats. His sense of action and motion, his layouts, his comic timing, his acting — there’s just so much fun and so much energy on the page. It really forces you to up your game.

Marvel: What are some of your favorite Spider-Man creators and/or storylines from the past? Which of those — if any — do you see having the biggest influence on your run?

Nick Spencer: Any conversation there has to start with Lee/Ditko/Romita, obviously. That run is, in my opinion, the high-water point of mainstream American super-hero comics and can never be surpassed. It takes your breath away reading it through.

Beyond that perfect foundation, I’m especially fond of two writers: Roger Stern and J.M. DeMatteis. I’m a different kind of writer than those guys, but they both have a huge influence on me and how I view the character.

But really, there are so many fantastic runs I could mention. When I got the book, I sat down and tried to comprehensively read through basically everything — every issue of Amazing, Spectacular, Team-Up, Web, Spider-Man, Sensational, Friendly Neighborhood and all the titles in between. You name it, I read it. And it really shows what a proud tradition there is. Everyone tries to bring their A-game when they’re writing Spider-Man. And I’m directly following one of the most acclaimed and successful runs of all time in Dan Slott’s. So no pressure! It really does inspire you to do your best work. I’m just honored to be a part of this.

The first issue of Nick Spencer and Ryan Ottley’s Amazing Spider-Man swings into stores July 11, 2018, but don’t miss their first Spidey story in Free Comic Book Day 2018 (Amazing Spider-Man/Guardians of the Galaxy) #1 on May 5! No excuses, Spider-Fan: It’s free!

On 4/17/2018 at 9:29 AM, The Natural said:

Ben Reilly: The Scarlet Spider #15-17 is part of the Damnation crossover. Mephisto’s hotel has arisen in Las Vegas where Ben Reilly’s based. Scarlet Spider has to battle Mephisto’s demons including superheroes turned into them. Ben’s forced for Aunt June’s safety. #15 is a setup for it. #16’s where it’s at peaked by Reilly’s Scarlet Spider badly misjudging two things, the first is funny while the second ends the issue on a controversial note. It’s a callback to an infamous chapter of Spider-Man’s history. #17, Ben’s not sure whether to go through with it. I’ll be only reading the Scarlet Spider Damnation issues.

You still reading/jumped on,  @The Unholy Dragon and @twiztor?

Nah. Lost track of it. It's a steady seller here but basically has its audience, no more no less so it's less important for me to keep on top of for work and I hit the point of preferring to tradewait. As much as I'm glad Ben is back, his character has been so turned from what made me dig him in the day that it's not as great a time as I'd hope.

On 4/17/2018 at 9:43 AM, Keep Calm, Akira Hokuto On said:

I completely forgot that Byrne was writing X-Men at that time.  I read the quoted part and said "That's not right, is it?"  Looked it up. Nope. it's right.  I remembered Whilce Portacio was drawing the book.  Actually, I remember that run fairly well, mainly for Portacio's art and some cool looking character designs.  I really liked Whilce Portacio's art back then.  Judging from the response his name gets at the LCS, I might be the only one.

Whatever happened to the two dudes who came back from the future (I think that was where Bishop came from) with Bishop in his first appearance?  I vaguely remember two guys with him, wearing the same blue outfit with a red bandana or something around the neck.  I can't remember what became of those two (may have been killed off right away or something.  Can't recall).

Malcolm and Randall died in the first arc, but did act as co-stars in the two XSE minis that told Bishop's origin which, honestly, I'm a little surprised we haven't had a trade for yet.

On 4/17/2018 at 7:20 PM, Victator said:

And the thing is, Claremont could get you another Jim Lee. It was Claremont recruiting these artists and not Harras or Ann Nocenti. That is not a slam on Nocenti, she let Claremont do what he needed to do and the books thrived. He was the one who discovered guys like Paul Smith and Silversti. He tried to get Alan Davis on X-Men and did get him on Excalibur. 

This is like killing the golden goose for its latest egg. Then the egg fucks you over. 

Had to have been a tough spot. The artists were such a huge deal at the time and you couldn't have foreseen them pulling what they did with Image, but the fact Claremont was the gateway to them coming through also impaired their ability to recruit. In a lot of ways, it's not super shocking they spent decades moving character/property focused at first, then writer focused after. 

• Like 2

Another thing Claremont would do is give the letterer and colorist royalties out of his own pocket to help the book. 

Claremont also constantly kept new characters coming into the book. He was a master of cycling in and out characters before they got stale. Giving Marvel new IP, while Lee just wanted to do remixes of Magneto and the Sentinels. Not that he did not have rough patches, I did get tired of the Adventures Of Rogue and Storm and maybe the X-Men. But I think on any long creative tenure, you get that.

I got to meet Claremont last year and it was everything I wanted. He was very giving and generous. I felt bad for taking so long (or I thought I was) but everyone in line encouraged me to take my time. Such a great day.

• Like 2