DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Comics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

On 2/21/2018 at 12:07 AM, Dragonzombie said:

Marvel line will be relaunched. So all new number ones.

So how many Marvel relaunches in short amount of time?

Heroic Age
Marvel NOW! My favourite.
All New Marvel NOW!
Avengers NOW!
All New All Different Marvel
Marvel NOW 2.0
ResurrXion
Generations/Marvel Legacy
A Fresh Start

Civil War: Black Panther collects Black Panther #19-25. In Black Panther #19-22 Black Panther and Storm, his wife go on a diplomatic tour meeting Doctor Doom, the Inhumans Royal Family, Namor and go to Washington as the Civil War has started. #21-22 Black Panther and Storm make their choice about the Superhero Registration Act. #23-25 shows the contribution of King T’Challa and Queen Ororo to the Civil War. I liked this book seeing the couple together, their meets with others and what this means for them and Wakanda. A council of Wakanda is concerned about King T’Challa’s West adventures and their country may be attacked.

Black Panther (Vol. 6): A Nation Under Our Feet collects Black Panther (Vol. 6) #1-4 and Fantastic Four (Vol. 1) #52. In Black Panther, Black Panther has to contend with an uprising. I enjoyed this story seeing how T’Challa responds to this as King of Wakanda and the Black Panther, a look at Wakanda society from those in power/wanting that power themselves, the high and low classes too. Fantastic Four (Vol. 1) #52 sees Black Panther’s debut as he faces the titular group. Good reading Black Panther’s first appearance and he makes an impact taking them out.

7 hours ago, The Natural said:

Heroic Age
All New Marvel NOW!
Avengers NOW!
Marvel NOW 2.0
ResurrXion
A Fresh Start

That is around 8 years if we are starting with Heroic Age, and some of those are line specific like ResurrXion & Avengers NOW. But yeah they basically have one once a year and its annoying.

5 hours ago, The Natural said:

Black Panther (Vol. 6): A Nation Under Our Feet collects Black Panther (Vol. 6) #1-4 and Fantastic Four (Vol. 1) #52. In Black Panther, Black Panther has to contend with an uprising. I enjoyed this story seeing how T’Challa responds to this as King of Wakanda and the Black Panther, a look at Wakanda society from those in power/wanting that power themselves, the high and low classes too. Fantastic Four (Vol. 1) #52 sees Black Panther’s debut as he faces the titular group. Good reading Black Panther’s first appearance and he makes an impact taking them out.

The Coates run has been great if a bit slow.

• Like 1

Oh my was the Asgard/Shi'ar War from The Mighty Thor a load of fun!

I've been reading plenty lately, mostly X-Men stuff(I've expressed how I dig X-Men BLUE before but now I'm knee-deep into X-Men GOLD and enjoying it quite a bit) , but that volume of Thor was just such a good read!

I also finally read Southern Bastards Vol. 3 and really loathe Esaw a whole bunch. After all those character studies I'm looking forward to seeing how this story will play out!

James

I think the rumor is that Aaron is staying on Thor. I'm curious what that'll look like because it doesn't feel like there's much more ground to tread. While he did some of the Roxxon stuff which felt like traditional superheroics, I think that's about all that's left for him to cover, his take on the DeFalco Thor era, basically. What else is there? 

52 minutes ago, Matt D said:

I think the rumor is that Aaron is staying on Thor. I'm curious what that'll look like because it doesn't feel like there's much more ground to tread. While he did some of the Roxxon stuff which felt like traditional superheroics, I think that's about all that's left for him to cover, his take on the DeFalco Thor era, basically. What else is there? 

Has he really done much with Baldur? Since he hasn't been part of the movies, it feels like he's been MIA for a while. Or am I forgetting something? 

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

Really? In general it seems like he is wanting to lead to his All Father Thor in the future which there is still an unfinished Galactus story to do. There was stuff with Gorr happening in that Odinson mini last year. All Aaron is finishing up right now is Jane's story and War of the Realms stuff.

On February 22, 2018 at 6:03 AM, The Natural said:

Heroic Age
All New Marvel NOW!
Avengers NOW!
Marvel NOW 2.0
ResurrXion
A Fresh Start

They use relaunches like new tv seasons. Before Alonso was shafted..they admitted that wanted a tv like model for comics.

Eventually they might drop the older numbers, they did that before. The only reason they relaunch a lot is because new series and new number ones sells more for Marvel.

• Like 1

Well I dug everything I've read X-Men related I've read so far until Mojo Worldwide.

I tend to not like Mojo stories too much which is weird since I dig Longshot but Longshot in this didn't.. .feel like Longshot? Does that make sense?

I'm about to tackle Vol 1 of Jean Grey's solo book. So for the most part more than 95% of the relaunched X line has been fun reading (especially All New Wolverine).

Then I MIGHT be ready for Ressurection (eve nthugh I read X-Men Red #1 already)

James

In general, it's been great to see you delving into current Marvel and enjoying things. The mojo one sure wasn't great though.

This was one of my favorite things out of marvel last year:

https://www.amazon.com/Kingpin-Born-Against-Matthew-Rosenberg-ebook/dp/B074WH9YF6/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1519504402&sr=8-12&keywords=kingpin

Check it out if you get a chance.

I am astonished and appalled that Quicksilver is getting a new series, and they gave it to a writer and artist who don't have the guts to get rid of that ass-ugly purple fast forward costume.  The Acuna design from Uncanny Avengers v2 wasn't great, but it was better than this.  Hell, I'd prefer to see him go back to the costume from DeMatteis's X-Factor with all the extra silly metal bits hanging off a standard X-Factor uniform, and that only lasted 2 pages.

4 hours ago, J.H. said:

I'm about to tackle Vol 1 of Jean Grey's solo book. So for the most part more than 95% of the relaunched X line has been fun reading (especially All New Wolverine).

James

I haven't read the X-Men family of books in forever.  But I am really enjoying the Jean Grey solo book so far on Marvel Unlimited.  I even enjoyed the Generations: Jean Grey & Phoenix one shot

4 hours ago, J.H. said:

Well I dug everything I've read X-Men related I've read so far until Mojo Worldwide.

I tend to not like Mojo stories too much which is weird since I dig Longshot but Longshot in this didn't.. .feel like Longshot? Does that make sense?

Then I MIGHT be ready for Ressurection (eve nthugh I read X-Men Red #1 already)

James

That is a pity. I dug Mojoworld, but I actually like Mojo. He is weird, creepy, and amusing in a dark humor kind of way. That said, Longshot definitely felt weird and off in that one.

On 2/23/2018 at 7:54 AM, odessasteps said:

Has he really done much with Baldur? Since he hasn't been part of the movies, it feels like he's been MIA for a while. Or am I forgetting something? 

Killed before Secret Wars by King Loki.Before that, was a sort of King of a Limbolike Afterworld.

Loved Vol 1 of jean Grey and that is saying something given it involves the headache of the Phoenix Force. Just really solid writing coupled wit hsome dynamite artwork.

I also moved along into the the fist 2 volumes of Charles Soule's "Back In Black" volumes for Daredevil. I liked Vol 1 boatloads but was kinda disappointed that Tenfingers asn't quite the bi bad he was being played up to be. Someone running Chinatown the way Fisk ran Hell's Kitchen could've been fun.

The second volume stared strong with the Elektra story but then just.. .ended abruptly and alunched int othe single issue stories with Spidey and Echo. Still, the good outweighed the bad so I keep reading this in trade

Marvel has bene treating me way good as of late. Being rewarded with lot of really good reading

James