DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Comics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

Is there anything duller than Peter and Kitty getting married in June?
I've never been for them getting back together and felt it was always a step backward for Kitty in terms of character (especially since I always saw her and Rahchel as soulmates)

James

3 hours ago, J.H. said:

Is there anything duller than Peter and Kitty getting married in June?
I've never been for them getting back together and felt it was always a step backward for Kitty in terms of character (especially since I always saw her and Rahchel as soulmates)

James

Amusingly, I was honestly thinking Peter is the less interesting Rasputin relationship with Kitty. I always enjoyed Illyana and Kitty's dynamic, and don't think enough has been done with it in recent times.

33 minutes ago, Ace said:

Because she is not Illyana Rasputin. She's the Darkchylde with none of Illyana's soul.

How do you even know that? I've read all these comics. I'm sure I don't know that. I'm also sure most of the writers don't know that. 

Kitty's most interesting relationships are always with other female characters. Her Mentor/Student relationship with Ororo, her best friend relationship with Illyana and the potentially more than just friends relationship with Rachel. She really is the best female character that Marvel has used to explore how women interact with each other in different power dynamics.

James

Will real Logan have returned by then to give her away? 

Will Lockheed carry the ring?

will Pete Wisdom get an invitation?

who will be Piotr’s best man? Kurt? 

- other jokes redacted in case they would be viewed religiously insensitive

54 minutes ago, J.H. said:

Kity's most interesting relationships are always with toher female characters. Her Mentor/Student relationship with Ororo, her best freidn relationship with Illyana and he potentially more than just friends relationship with Rachel. She really is the best female character that Marve hasused to explore how women interact with ech other in differen powr dynamics.

James

Emma too.

Oh yeah, especially with Emma!
Given that Kitty's first experience with Emma was the MA trying to recruit by using Hellfire Club goons and then all the shit that happened between them during the early issues of New Mutants is it any wonder she never trusts her?

James

Magneto is my favorite, but even now I don't really count him as an X-Man instead of a villain.

Kurt is a really fascinating bundle of character but it's not as well explored territory as Kitty.

She is a character we've literally watched grow-up in front of our eyes and you don't get to do that too often with genre characters like that. When I think of favorite X-Men from the Claremont era its usually Kitty, Storm and Nightcrawler. Hell Storm used to be such a well written character that they used to put through these grand stories where not only would she grow as a character but there were moments where she demonstrated that growth and how it made her so fascinating to read (I mean think how she grew from the Brood War to Fall of The Mutants, all the shit that happened to her).

God used to be so great when  was long stretches of character growth for everyone while a looming threat would start to build in the background. I miss that kind of storytelling

James

On 1/20/2018 at 11:56 AM, Matt D said:

How do you even know that? I've read all these comics. I'm sure I don't know that. I'm also sure most of the writers don't know that. 

It was literally her return arc. The only time she's ever had any sort of a soul, it was part of Pixie's (and why Pixie can teleport.) Both she and Nightcrawler are soulless.

2 hours ago, J.H. said:

She is a character we've literally watched grow-up in front of our eyes and you don't get to do that too often with genre characters like that. When I think of favorite X-Men from the Claremont era its usually Kitty, Storm and Nightcrawler. Hell Storm used to be such a well written character that they used to put through these grand stories where not only would she grow as a character but there were moments where she demonstrated that growth and how it made her so fascinating to read (I mean think how she grew from the Brood War to Fall of The Mutants, all the shit that happened to her).

God used to be so great when  was long stretches of character growth for everyone while a looming threat would start to build in the background. I miss that kind of storytelling

James

We've had that with Laura Kinney/X-23/Wolverine II.

• Like 1