DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Comics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

Maybe.

On one hand, they could exert more direct control. On the other, I don't think any of them are likely to impact Marvel's bottom line the way Star Was did, and adding all of them to an already bloated publication line might not be worth the hassle when they can just keep cashing those licensing checks.

Interesting side point: Disney is also getting a share of Boom! Studios in the deal.

Spider-Man vs. The Vulture does as the title says timed the same year as Spider-Man: Homecoming, 2017. The book collects 14 issues with them at it. I just read the ones I fancied: The Amazing Spider-Man #2, #63-64 as they’re written by Stan Lee and Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man #14-16 from Peter David. The Amazing Spider-Man #2 is Adrian Toomes/the Vulture’s first story as Spider-Man stops the feathered felon in a really good issue. Said issue debuts Peter Parker taking photographs for J. Jonah Jameson’s Now Magazine and Pete’ carrying extra web cartridges on his belt. I really liked the issue.

The Amazing Spider-Man #63-64 features the battle of the Vultures as the original takes out the pretender, Blackie Drago and then goes for Spider-Man. A good story getting rid of Drago Vulture which didn’t take with readers so Toomes thought dead is back.

The Kid Who Collects Spider-Man, The Amazing Spider-Man #248 Spider-Man meets a young fan of his, Tim Harrison. By Roger Stern, so short a story and so big feels. This is one of the best ever Spider-Man stories and one of the most moving comic book stories period.

Spider-Man March 2018 solicitations are out and looks like the end of Dan Slott’s lengthy solo run on the Amazing Spider-Man:

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #797
DAN SLOTT (W) • STUART IMMONEN (A)
Cover by ALEX ROSS
CONNECTING VARIANT COVER BY TBA (1 of 5)
DESIGN VARIANT COVER BY TBA
MIGHTY THOR VARIANT COVER BY CLAYTON CRAIN
REMASTERED VARIANT COVER BY TBA
B&W REMASTERED VARIANT COVER BY TBA
GO DOWN SWINGING Part 1
The Green Goblin is back — and scarier than ever! Dan Slott has saved his most harrowing Spider-Man story for last as he and Stuart Immonen kick off the AMAZING SPIDER-MAN story ten years in the making. Osborn got his crazy back and has a plan that’ll make all his past plans look like child’s play. Peter Parker and the people he loves (ALL of them) are in deep trouble. And who or what is the RED GOBLIN?! The only way Spider-Man survives is to GO DOWN SWINGING!
32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99

Hope so and this is coming from someone who likes the majority of Dan Slott’s Spidey.  Superior Spider-Man ending was the right time for him to go and at the latest, the original Amazing Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows. I may do a piece on the positives and negatives from Dan Slott’s time.

A while lot of books are wrapping up in February. Hawkeye, America, Gwenpool... Iceman soon after.

But much to my surprise the solicited Runaways #7 after all the reports/rumors that it was going to be one of those "we didn't tell you it's a mini series" minis. 

Dan Slott’s Spider-Man Run: The Positives and Negatives.

Good:

A number of great stories starting with his solo run on the Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 1): the first Big Time story in TASM (Vol. 1) #648-651, Revenge of the Spider-Slayer #652-654, No-One Dies #655-656, Spider-Island #666-673 and Dying Wish #698-#700. The first Big Time story acted as a new step on point for readers and it grabbed me so I kept looking out for this run in my library.

The Superior Spider-Man. This took everyone by surprise with the WTF nature as a dying Otto Octavius switches mind/body with Peter Parker. Otto lives in Peter Parker and becomes the Superior Spider-Man while Pete trapped in Otto, dies. We see a villain try to become a hero as the Superior Spider-Man is violent with his beatings, surveillance with his Spider-bots across NYC and kills villains. This led to Avenging Spider-Man/Superior Spider-Man Team-Up with Superior Spider-Man written by his best writer, Christopher Yost and the hilarious Superior Foes of Spider-Man by Nick Spencer/Steve Lieber. One of Spidey’s best periods and SpOck is my second favourite Spider behind only the original.

A one note villain in Massacre appears in two of Slott’s most memorable stories, the aforementioned No-One Dies and The Aggressive Approach/Emotional Triggers in the Superior Spider-Man #4-5.

Anna Maria Marconi and Mr. Negative are the only two other creations by Dan I like.

The Amazing Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows miniseries where Peter Parker, Mary Jane Watson-Parker are still married with a daughter, Annie. This was the last thing of Slott’s I really enjoyed.

The funnies when they worked.

Bad:

The Superior Spider-Man ending in early 2014 was the right time or at the very latest, Renew Your Vows (2015) for Dan to go.

The Amazing Spider-Man (Vol 3) was bad and The Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 4) made me drop the book. Bloody awful.

Peter Parker can be written as unlikeable and incompetent.

Slott’s created characters particularly Silk who he gave a big push to. My least favourite Spider. Alpha was another made worse by that story celebrating the 50th anniversary of Spider-Man.

Black Cat turned into a crime boss reached its nadir in The Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 3) #16-18. Peter Stark from the Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 4). Ben Reilly as the new Jackal for all Professor Miles Warren did to him and as a baddie. I’m open to changes in character if done well, these don’t apply.

Spidey pouring acid over the Sandman when interrogating him in Ends of the Earth. Story was poor as well.

Maybe? I just saw that it was on comicsbeat's list of stuff ending in winter 2018 along with Gwenpool and Iceman and GenX and stuff.  But that makes sense.

5 hours ago, Eivion said:

Its not a part of that weekly Avengers story? I thought all 3 Avengers comics were getting folded into that.

On 12/22/2017 at 5:01 AM, Eivion said:

Its not a part of that weekly Avengers story? I thought all 3 Avengers comics were getting folded into that.

It''s a part of that.  Apparently, it will be relaunched after the "him"/Voyager storyline wraps up.

Question: Just finished volume 3 of Chris Priest's Black Panther run (collected in four tpb's).  Was T'Challa's brain aneurysm ever retconned?  In issue 49, Priest essentially wrote T'Challa out by giving him a brain condition that would eventually kill him.  In fact, it did kill him.  For a time, Priest had two BP"s running around, with the second one being T'Challa from ten years in the future who is near death from the condition and eventually passed away.  It's implied that the present-time T'Challa is aready suffering some pretty serious symptoms.  In the last few issues before he vacates the BP title, T'Challa is shown to be suffering seizures and hallucinating.  Was this addressed later?

Ended up not liking the Priest run all that much.  It was probably viewed as being forward-thinking for a 90's Marvel comic, and I liked the attempt to make the book more about political intrigue than super-villain fights.  But, I didn't feel like the scripting was consistently sharp and the supporting cast are largely one-note.  It's an attempt to marry 80's comic book sensibilities with the current-ish comic book sensibility.  But that's been done many times since BP came out, and often done better.  It could be that Marvel editorial wouldn't fully commit to Priest's vision and steered him back to the super-villain throwdowns.  Or it could be that BP would be a better book if it were done today with Priest plotting and Lemire of Geoff Johns scripting.  I think Johns could have made me care about the supporting cast.

The constant "T'Challa is playing 4-d chess" thing got tiresome too.  Especially "Enemy of the State II" near the end of the run.  I followed the story well enough, but the storyline had so many macguffins and "Well, this is what you thought was going on but this is what is really going on!" moments that it got absurd.  Felt like issues 40-50 were lackluster; either Priest didn't want to write out T'Challa or he was given a mandate to get T'Challa out of the mask by 50 and had to hotshot some plotlines.

It didn't quite do it for me, but it's by no means a bad book.  Not looking forward to volume 4 and the Kasper Kole reboot, though.

Despite what I said earlier, I'm actually enjoying the Kasper Cole era of Black Panther.  Priest seems really energized and the writing is quite good, and the art - both on BP and on the Crew - is very solid.

That said, who did Marvel think was gong to buy this book.  The hundred thousand (more like 1,000) African-Americans you see in comic stores every week?  Black Panther fans who were clamoring for a BP that carried a gun and was basically BLack Punisher? The way they wrote out T'Challa was poorly executed and the new status quo was poorly thought out.The image of a guy in the BP mask wearing a trenchcoat and packing a couple handguns is stark, but.... it reminds me of Batman.  For all the shakeups DC has put Batman through, there's a reason they've never tried Pistol Packin' Bruce (though they have gone there with Earth-2 Thomas Wayne).

It's an interesting take and I may end up liking this more than T'Challa's portion of the run, but it's kinda one step too far and I'm kinda glad neither BP nor the Crew lasted long after this reboot.

So the ending of Spider-men II has some pretty big implications for the Ultimate Universe characters...

In that the Ultimate Universe is back. Also Peter Parker Spider-man is leading the Ultimates which includes Riri Williams among other newer characters and based on context clues it's been a few years.

Weird series in that Peter and Miles were almost incidental to things. They could have almost done just a 616 Miles mini and had basically the same end result.

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Mild Runaways spoilers

Hide contents

Nico is still Nico and inappropriate kissing. Karolina IS dating Julie Power to wrap up that discussion. The villain is seriously awesome and messed up

This was easily to me the best issue of Runaways since Vaughn left, no hyperbole. Drama, Comedy, actual character development (Molly's growing up!), etc. Rainbow was a great pick to take over the series.