DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Comics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

I never read anything from Runaways after going through Vaughn's run. People here told me how terrible it all was. The only thing I've read of them of post Vaughn is the Avengers Academy appearance which I recall enjoying. I'm with El Dragon on Avengers Arena ever happening just kind of pissing me off. I still want Marvel to pretend it never happened.

I'd rather they not go there, because I just feel it's pretty well established that Nico is straight. Besides we have established that Kar is seeing someone so you could still hit that drama.

Although she definitely has a habit of turning to intimacy when stressed.

I'm deeply curious to see where they go with Karolina, that's been my favorite issue so far.

But c'mon... Runaways In Space!

1 minute ago, Eivion said:

I never read anything from Runaways after going through Vaughn's run. People here told me how terrible it all was. The only thing I've read of them of post Vaughn is the Avengers Academy appearance which I recall enjoying. I'm with El Dragon on Avengers Arena ever happening just kind of pissing me off. I still want Marvel to pretend it never happened.

Whedon's arc isn't terrible, just... I think he had ideas for a really long run, didn't have time to do a really long run, and couldn't decide which ideas to let go. It's a massive step down from Vaughn, but way better than what came next.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

I'd rather they not go there, because I just feel it's pretty well established that Nico is straight. Besides we have established that Kar is seeing someone so you could still hit that drama.

I'm deeply curious to see where they go with Karolina, that's been my favorite issue so far.

Whatever happened to Karolina dating Julie Power?

You are making the new book sound appealing, but I find the art so off putting.

You know, I don't remember it ever being brought up again. They set up a date.

Although, to be fair, the book didn't specially preclude Julie being the unseen and unnamed girlfriend. I have no idea if Power Pack are appearing anywhere these days though.

Sometimes I go through and read the Joss run on Runaways just to reminder myself how much he drove me god damned crazy sometimes. It wasn't even that it was awful, it's that it took him almost a full god damned year to release 6 issues. All momentum the title had from that point on was completely dead. That was in that 2 year stretch were he basically ruined my favorite comic of all time, and killed off my favorite comic character of all time (Kitty). I'm still not sure if I've ever really forgiven him for that.

I've had this conversation a lot with people, and I think it's an interpretation thing. Basically, if you go back and read everything from the time Karolina tried to kiss Nico to the point that Gert is killed, you can either read it two ways.

1. Nico is upset at losing her best friend, and feels vulnerable and fucks up by kissing Chase (Cause Nico is real good at fucking up relationship things), that leads to fallout, they fight, Nico is overjoyed when Karolina comes back, but doesn't respond well at all to when Xavin comes with her because of either her having prejudice against the gender swapping thing or because it means she doesn't get to enjoy being the main person of Karolina's world, because at her core Nico would probably admit to anyone she's a pretty selfish person in that regard.

2. Nico had never thought if she was attracted to girls before the moment Karolina tried to kiss her. Because she is most certainly attracted to boys, and thus never had reason to think about it. But then in a rush, her best friend tries to kiss her, and apparently thought they were already dating. After Nico gives her initial reaction, before anything else happens, her comes Xavin to scoop her away off planet. The next time we see Nico is at least a month later, and she's still hanging out in Karolina's room going through her clothes, talking about how much it hurts. Then, in a moment of Nico being Nico, she kisses Chase, which I always thought could be interpreted as a "Wait, I'm not gay, right!?" type of panic move. To continue, when Karolina does come back, that's probably the happiest Nico has ever been in any comic, which led to the big emotional hug that completely shifts when Xavin is with Karolina, and they are very much together. This also explains a lot of Nico's dislike for Xavin from that point on which kinda carries over until we kinda end the main canon. At that point the story just could have shifted to "Nico knows she likes Karolina, but the timing is never right."

Also, I'm clearly and obviously biased on this discussion.

You know, I don't remember it ever being brought up again. They set up a date.

Although, to be fair, the book didn't specially preclude Julie being the unseen and unnamed girlfriend. I have no idea if Power Pack are appearing anywhere these days though.

I thought the picture that is shown featured Karolina with a cute redhead. I'd put decent money that's supposed to be Julie.

I refuse to try and have a favorite or least favorite (okay, fine, Klara is my least favorite) I just love the team, the concept. They mostly just don't work nearly as well on their own (although the Mystic Arcana issue with Nico was good) or with the rest of the MU as they do together.

Nico is awesome though. A really, truly good person except she's incredibly deeply selfish. 

I always liked Nico because of how flawed she was. She had no business leading anyone and somehow she got picked as the defacto leader of these kids, just trying to make sure not to get anyone killed.

I will say I always liked Gert the least in the comics as a character. She does have arguably my single favorite joke the comic ever produced though, so I'll give her that. Also, I never really liked Alex, even before he was revealed as the bad guy.

Oh, and also, yeah, not everyone wanted Nico/Karolina to get together. For whatever reason, every time they had a scene things just clicked for me that "yep, they are gonna get together at some point" the entire way through. I actually think the fact that some (I and tumblr, apparently) could interpret that way and others could not see it at all is actually just a testament to how good Vaughan's writing was, cause I am 100% it was intentional.

Oh man I totally liked Alex. I actually remember sitting in my car reading that issue before driving home and just being stunned by the finish. 

Which joke?

Spoiler for the new series [/spoiler] Her "congrats Nico, you managed to lose a kid I haven't even met" about Klara got a legit laugh from me. [/Spoiler]

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Oh man I totally liked Alex. I actually remember sitting in my car reading that issue before driving home and just being stunned by the finish. 

Which joke?

Spoiler for the new series [/spoiler] Her "congrats Nico, you managed to lose a kid I haven't even met" about Klara got a legit laugh from me. [/Spoiler]

My superpower is I can make people empty their bowels at a moments notice.

really?

*Old Lace jumps on him*

More or less

Amusingly, the Nico Karolina Staff of One joke from literally the next page is probably no.2

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Same for me. I'm still surprised I managed to not being spoiled on that despite reading it years later.

Speaking of Runaways, in June they are releasing a Runaways by Brian K. Vaughn and Adrian Alphona Omnibus, has all 42 issues from BKV's run on vol 1 and 2 (mostly drawn by Alphona) and the X-Men/Runaways fcbd one shot.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, blitzkrieg said:

2017 and I'm just now taking the time to really read Priest's Black Panther. Such great shame on my part.

I read the run as it came out, and bought the tpb's as they were released, but I've never gone back and reread it to see how it holds up.  Started the first tpb this morning.  Fun stuff.

My memories of the reboot near the end of Priest's run are dire.

2 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Speaking of Runaways, in June they are releasing a Runaways by Brian K. Vaughn and Adrian Alphona Omnibus, has all 42 issues from BKV's run on vol 1 and 2 (mostly drawn by Alphona) and the X-Men/Runaways fcbd one shot.

I'm buying a physical copy of that one. Admitted most of the comics at this point are so locked into my brain now I can still remember specific panels without thinking too hard, but that's something I want to hold onto.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, El Dragon said:

I'm buying a physical copy of that one. Admitted most of the comics at this point are so locked into my brain now I can still remember specific panels without thinking too hard, but that's something I want to hold onto.

It's crazy for me too. I have all three of the hardcovers, and I have Complete Collection vol 3 in paperback, plus the somewhere all four digests from vol 2, so I have all of this stuff at least once, most of it twice, a few of them even three times in collected forms....

Yet I really want it.

• Like 1

So Bleeding Cool posed an interesting question.

Following the purchase of Fox by Disney and the move of Star Wars comics to Marvel Comics after the Lucasfilm deal being successful, do they pull the varied Fox properties currently being published from Dark Horse (Aliens, Predator, Prometheus, Buffy, Angel, and Serenity being the big ones) over to Marvel with big name creators and see if they can replicate that success?

And if they do, what creative teams do they use?