DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Comics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

6 hours ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:
  Hide contents

Basically.  The "real" Cap - ie, the patriotic Cap everyone is used to - is brought out of Kobik's memories.  He immediately fights Hydra Cap.  Battle ends when Hydra Cap tries to pick up Thor's hammer, but can't.  Heroic Cap can.  He picks up Mjolnir, pastes Hydra Cap with it, then returns the hammer to Jane Foster/Thor.

Story ends with Kobik unmaking most of the changes made, though Las Vegas is still destroyed and it seems like several major characters are still dead.  Hydra Cap was apparently arrested, not killed or unmade, so he'll return at some point.  Kobik was kind of a jerk when it came to deciding what changes to unmake and what to keep.

I enjoyed the issue, though the ending is the safest, least dramatically interesting way to go.  it does protect the Captain America brand, though, and sets up a new direction for Steve Rogers going forward.  I rolled my eyes when Sam Wilson told Bucky to stay out of the final fight because Real Steve "needed" to finish the final battle alone.  You see that sort of scene way to often and it's always ridiculous when the stakes are the fate of the world.  Though, since Kobik was right there, Hydra Cap was finished even if he punches out Real Steve. 

Spoiler

Rick Jones and Black Widow were resurrected.

45 minutes ago, Ace said:
  Hide contents

Rick Jones and Black Widow were resurrected.

Spoiler

They appeared in that panel at the end referencing how some scars were being left as a reminder (they were pictured among the debris of Las Vegas). I wasn't really sure what that scene with them standing in the ruins  was supposed to mean.  There's a scene that appears to be Natasha's funeral right after, so a lot of people are interpreting the LAs Vegas panel to be figurative: a remembrance of them instead of a literal resurrection.  I assume Spencer intentionally left that ambiguous so another writer can do what he wants with the character.

That said, neither one stays dead for long, imo.  I kinda think they'll be off the canvas for awhile

What's the opinion on Spencer's run?  I enjoyed it a lot.  One of Marvel's better experiments, I think.  A lot of people seemed to hate it.  I took the "I'm swearing off Marvel forever" talk on the internet as typical internet hyperbole, but my LCS seems to think they shed a lot of Cap readers, and some people did come in and drop every Marvel title from their pull list.

I wish they had put the character in a different place at the end.  It ended pretty much as I expected, but I have no real interest in seeing what they do with Steve going forward.  I felt basically the same way when Peter Parker came back, though I'm not as tired of Steve as I am of Peter.

I stopped reading the Cap books. Only skimmed Secret Empire in the store. 

I think Superior Foes is only Spenser thing I've liked off the top of my head. I disliked the tone of Ant Man (making Scott a loser). Didn't really like Sam Cap even before Secret Empire. Didn't really enjoy Standoff. Really really dislike Morning Glories. I was okay with Thunder Agents. 

9 hours ago, The Unholy Dragon said:

Houser is REALLY good from what I've read. Mother Panic is terrific, albeit entirely the wrong tone for Renew. That said, her work on Faith makes me think she could do a good job with it.

9 hours ago, Cliff Hanger said:

Is Roche writing or just drawing? I mostly know him from some truly excellent Transformers stuff but he's also drawn a fair amount of Doctor Who. Only Marvel work I remember is the Death Head story from Revolutionary War

Cheers @The Unholy Dragon and @Cliff Hanger. Roche is on art.

Time to start posting my The Amazing Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows (Vol. 2) reviews:

The Amazing Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows (Vol. 2) #1. The original five issue miniseries by Dan Slott/Adam Kubert featured a world where Peter Parker and Mary Jane Watson were still married and had a child, Annie May. I really enjoyed it, the last thing of Slott’s I can say that for.

When the news leaked of the title getting a monthly by Gerry Conway one of the best Spider-Man writers ever who may have written the best Spider-Man story on this with Ryan Stegman’s art, I added it to my subscription. In the main story by them mainly told in Peter Parker’s voice we see Spidey in action, family life and working for J. Jonah Jameson. Great reintroduction to a familiar but changed Renew Your Vows verse. The two short stories: Peter with Annie and Mary Jane with Annie are fun additions.

The Amazing Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows (Vol. 2) #2. The story is narrated by Mary Jane Watson-Parker this time round set before events in the last issue and after. We also find out Mary Jane’s superhero name. A really good issue especially when Mary Jane sees red, pun intended!

The Amazing Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows (Vol. 2) #3. Like the first two issues the story is told from a characters perspective, here it’s Annie May’s and the use of time before something happens/following on from it. This was the best issue yet for these. Annie May is a likeable new character, we get to see her at school, the twist on her spider-sense and in action. Annie doing Spider-Man’s famous pose made me chuckle. Read this issue twice and it left a big smile on my face.

The Amazing Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows (Vol. 2) #4. Team Spider-Man, Peter/Mary Jane Watson-Parker and their daughter, Annie May battle the Mole Man and his minions concluding the first story arc with Annie May receiving her code-name. Well written funny book by Gerry Conway and Ryan Stegman. This and the original miniseries batter the Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 3 and 4.)

• 2 weeks later...

So on whim I picked up Vol. 1 of X-Men BLUE and.. I really dig it. I like the characterizations, I like the interaction between Jean and Magneto (and Jean discovering Magneto's bacxkstory) hell I even like the use of Ultimate Son of Wolverine. Hopefully Vol. 2 remains just as fun an breezy though I think Secret Empire might prevent that...

James

2 hours ago, J.H. said:

So on whim I picked up Vol. 1 of X-Men BLUE and.. I really dig it. I like the characterizations, I like the interaction between Jean and Magnet (and Jean discovering Magneto's bacxkstory) hell I even like the use of Ultimate Son of Wolverine. Hopefully Vol. 2 remains just as fun an breezy though I think Secret Empire might prevent that...

James

If you like that, you should check out the current Jean Grey solo book too.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The Amazing Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows (Vol. 2) #5 by Gerry Conway. Its family fun night for Peter/Mary Jane/Annie May and at the same time, the Sandman breaks into a bank. The issue welcomes back Norman Osborn too. This was a really fun and funny done in one. Legit LOL at Annie May’s version of the famous Spider-Man ‘60s cartoon song and Peter/Mary Jane’s reaction to it. I was thrown by the Sandman as a villain, he was the opposite in the original Renew Your Vows miniseries and a small story in #1 of this ongoing. I do enjoy this Earth/universe.

The Amazing Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows (Vol. 2) #6 by Gerry Conway. We get the X-Men as guest stars. Professor Charles Xavier makes an offer to Peter and Mary Jane. A very good issue for the topic of tolerance vs. fear, Ryan Stegman back on art as he missed the last issue and a conversation between Mary Jane and Cyclops. Said conversation refers to the Superhero Registration Act and Civil War familiar to us but different to Renew Your Vows. Well done that. The talk goes against Cyclops as a follower/goodie to all things Professor X as that’s the version I’m most familiar with growing up. I understand Cyclops turned bad and or between the hero/villain line? Thanks.

The Amazing Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows (Vol. 2) #7 by Gerry Conway/Ryan Stegman. Spider-Man and Wolverine tag team to rescue their daughters from Magneto, the master of metal and his Brotherhood of Evil Mutants. This issue was rushed, it needed another issue for the arc from two to three. I also didn’t like Mary Jane Watson taking out Magneto/Emma Frost in a panel. A shame.

The Amazing Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows (Vol. 2) #8 by Gerry Conway and a new story starts here. I liked this issue returning to a plot point regarding Spinneret’s tapping to Spider-Man’s power. Here there’s a turning point as Mary Jane looks for an alternative fix, an organic technology we know as Venom. One part is slightly rushed but its better paced to the last issue.

The Amazing Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows (Vol. 2) #9 by Gerry Conway and Ryan Stegman. Mary Jane is in a prototype suit, its Venom and she with Spider-Man have to deal with it. I liked this issue particularly the part MJ’s battling the symbiote as they stop fighting Spider-Man as he watches on and why Liz Allen gave the suit to her. Like the X-Men arc, I wish this was three issues rather than two. I’d like to see the family having time outside the costumes and Annie with Stephanie Kim at school again. Shame this was Gerry Conway’s last issue, Ryan Stegman is now writing it solo.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Whoever was supposed to sell me on Aaron's Thor run so I became hooked on it did not do their job.  I think I picked up an issue or two early on, but wasn't really sold.  Aaron's Woverine and the X-Men run was probably fresh in my mind (didn't like that at all).

On a whim, grabbed a couple Thor tpb's from the library.  Turned out to be the first three Jane Foster as Thor trades.

OK, I'm hooked.  Seriously hooked.  When I get some time, I'm going to Comicbookdb to get a complete list of Aaron's Thor-related run, then to Amazon to drop some cash.

Is the Thors mini-series that came out during Secret Wars relevant to the ongoing books?

Also, I'm completely unfamiliar with the artist drawing Thor, but the art in the trades I read was pretty damn great.

• Like 1

Will do.

I liked Scalped, but the little bit of his superhero stuff has not done a whole lot for me.  I'm thinking I've probably been reading the wrong stuff and need a big sample size.  I also should probably give Doctor Strange another go.  The first arc didn't make me love the book, so I haven't read the rest yet.  

His Ghost Rider is one big B-movie, lot of tongue in cheek fun.

i didnt love his Dr Strange as much as others. I think thats a book thats more about the artist being let loose to do weird psychodelic Ditko weirdness.  

4 hours ago, Keep Calm, Akira Hokuto On said:

Whoever was supposed to sell me on Aaron's Thor run so I became hooked on it did not do their job.  I think I picked up an issue or two early on, but wasn't really sold.  Aaron's Woverine and the X-Men run was probably fresh in my mind (didn't like that at all).

On a whim, grabbed a couple Thor tpb's from the library.  Turned out to be the first three Jane Foster as Thor trades.

OK, I'm hooked.  Seriously hooked.  When I get some time, I'm going to Comicbookdb to get a complete list of Aaron's Thor-related run, then to Amazon to drop some cash.

Is the Thors mini-series that came out during Secret Wars relevant to the ongoing books?

Also, I'm completely unfamiliar with the artist drawing Thor, but the art in the trades I read was pretty damn great.

Read the God Butcher story

• Like 1

Yeah, Spider-Man has had it's share of high points under Slott - and I loved Superior Spider-Man - but it really does think he's running on fumes.

I actually like longish runs.  In general, I don't think 5-7 years is too long a run if the writer is motivated. I'd prefer a seven-year run with some slow periods to changing creative teams and status quo every two years or so, as is the norm these days.  But, realistically, most writers don't have plans for seven years of stories when they sign on, or they lose interest and move on to other projects.   Neither the marketplace or the business model is set up for a years-long run.  Starman and David's Hulk run are the outliers (and there are plenty of down periods in David's Hulk).

Slott's an odd one for me.  I've mostly enjoyed his ASM run - and Superior was outstanding - but i don't consider him a great writer or one of my favorites.  At the moment, i have virtually no interest in reading anything else Slott has written or seeing him jump to a new book after he leaves ASM.

• Like 1