DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Comics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

7 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

The Black Vortex really wasn't great.

You are a kind person. It sucked.

X-men: Inferno Crossovers. The Jarvis issue from Avengers was fun. The rest of the Avengers stuff was just ok. Same with FF and Daredevil. The Spider-man parts were good and made decent use of Inferno while also moving Spider-man's world and characters along.

X-men: Inferno Vol. 2. A wonderful conclusion to the story and everything built up with Madelyne & Sinister. I'm not as read up on the New Mutants, but the final part with Illyana was quite good as well. Its hard not to feel sorry for poor Maddie during this. She was so truly screwed with everything that brought her to this moment. Not really sure why the Excalibur issues were in this since they didn't really crossover with the main story at all. At least they were fun. The Power Pack's crossover conclusion was kind of messed up. Great read overall.

Now I'm onto to the first Claremont/Lee Omnibus. Just a few issues in I have to say that Jubilee's dialogue is terrible. I mean her intro issue with Claremont was bad enough, but whoever they got to do that backup story should be ashamed. That shit was indecipherable. You know its bad when Sera from DAI makes more sense by a significant amount when she speaks. It does seem to be getting better. Hopefully it continues to improve as I read more.

16 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Any thoughts on Defenders 1? Too Bendis-y? Too Quasi TV continuity? 

For some reason, it didnt grab me. 

Tried too hard to be a fast moving slow build. They basically go 'hey we should be a team' and then become one, Diamondback doesn't feel built at all, the cliffhanger was meh and basically throws crime boss Black Cat under the bus to put Diamondback over.

Lots of things meant to feel like big moments that don't land because of lack of build.

It was just a sloppy issue. Not boring but weirdly would have benefitted from more decompression in a lot of ways.

Reading post-Inferno X-men & X-Factor I caught the pieces of Acts of Vengeance both had. Is that event worth checking out? Also was there ever any follow up to Apocalypse vs. Loki? That encounter was kind of awesome.

Read X-factor #41-59, X-men Omnibus Vol. 1 (244-269), Days of Future Present, & X-Tinction Agenda. X-Factor issue were generally solid. Judgement War was neat, and I dug Sabretooth vs. Archangel. The X-men issues started off a little weak with Claremont clearly trying to have some breather issues after Inferno and Jubilee's not so great beginning. Things picked up immensely as it went on. Was glad to see Polaris herself again. Jubilee's dialogue got better, and she made an ok partner for Logan. I dug how the team split up and the different directions each took. Did find it weird though that they didn't completely acknowledge Psylocke's physical body having been changed until X-Tinction Agenda which I dug all the build to. Seeing Logan and Cap team up for the first to save a young Black Widow was a treat. I liked Gambit's introduction though it was weird how little his character was pushed considering his recent introduction. I'm digging the build whatever big story happens on Muir Island as well. Destiny's death was well done. You can almost buy the idea that Mystique was willing to just give up on life when the Shadow King orders he death. Days of Future Present was fun. I liked seeing Jean meet Rachel for the first, and Rachel in general got some solid character moments. I think was also my first time reading Cable from this era. Its weird how they hinted to him being Ahab despite Cable being seemingly older. X-Tinction Agenda was good and a decent enough payoff to what they were building with Genosha. Things maybe tied up a pinch too neatly on coup side of things, but its still fun ride on the whole.

So I believe I should be finishing up Claremont's run soon. Any suggestions for what to check out next?

Eivion, i am reading all the X-Men comics also. started like 18 months ago, i am reading the entirety of Uncanny, Excalibur, New Mutants, X Factor, and Wolverine right now.

with your latest post, you finally passed the point that i am at. it's been fun seeing your reactions basically mirror mine. 

wish i had some suggestions as to what is next for you.

• Like 1

Man that is some havy duty Claremont/L. Simonson/Noncenti narrative you're mainlining. I remember being in my teens and Mutant Massacre being so dark and violent it led to me dropping the X-books for awhile (I read Fall of THe Mutants-Inferno after the act when I worked at Marvel). Did you also read Longshot during the X-Binge'17?

14 hours ago, J.H. said:

Man that is some havy duty Claremont/L. Simonson/Noncenti narrative you're mainlining. I remember being in my teens and Mutant Massacre being so dark and violent it led to me dropping the X-books for awhile (I read Fall of THe Mutants-Inferno after the act when I worked at Marvel). Did you also read Longshot during the X-Binge'17?

yeah, i made a post about how dark/depressing the Mutant Massacre is. if i had read that at 7 years old i would've been scarred.

and yeah, i read the Longshot mini. not really a fan. i'm trying to read everything. did the same with Batman a few years back.

When I first read Long shot, it felt weird and dangerous in a way I can't quite elucidate now years later. After decades of Mojo being a goof (EDITED, originally said good because fuck my phone), it was also weird to see him be absolutely creepy as fuck.

Mojo has been good before? That fucker was always pretty damn creepy whenever I saw him be it in shows or comics. I'm trying to recall if I read Longshot. I want to say I did, but its kind of lost to me now after several years and probably reading way too much of that era's X-verse stories so close together. I really need to pace myself better.

37 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Mojo has been good before? That fucker was always pretty damn creepy whenever I saw him be it in shows or comics. I'm trying to recall if I read Longshot. I want to say I did, but its kind of lost to me now after several years and probably reading way too much of that era's X-verse stories so close together. I really need to pace myself better.

Fucking autocorrect.  That's supposed to say "goof", which he always was to me in the 90s.

I loved the Longshot mini but it's been at least 20 years since I read it.  It's on my list to pick up as a tpb (and sell the original issues), so I'll probably read it again when I buy the TPB.

I'm not really a Ann Nocenti fanboy in general, but she was doing some great work in the mid-80's.  Really enjoy her Daredevil run.  Annoyed it's not collected in full.

3 hours ago, Cliff Hanger said:

When I first read Long shot, it felt weird and dangerous in a way I can't quite elucidate now years later. After decades of Mojo being a goof (EDITED, originally said good because fuck my phone), it was also weird to see him be absolutely creepy as fuck.

Same here.  Longshot felt different and edgy to me in the 80's/90's.  I'm not really thrilled with what they've done with the characters since.  Agree with Mojo being presented more as a goofy character than a legit menace since the mini.  Feel like Spiral could have been a bigger deal too.  She's generally been presented as just another supervillain in the years since and often a flunky.

• Like 1

Even Noncenti admits that the Longshot mini is kind of a rough read and gives tons of credit to the Adams visuals for making Longshot so memorable (though she takes full credit for Longshot/'s mullet)

James

Read Ultimates2 #8. This continues to be my favorite book going in Marvel right now. I love Ewing reshaping the cosmic order. I really hope some of his changes get to stick. I also wish he was writing some other cosmic stuff like Nova or GOTG. Is anyone here reading Royals? How is it?

10 hours ago, Eivion said:

Rea Ultimates2 #8. This continues to be my favorite book going in Marvel right now. I love Ewing reshaping the comic order. I really hope some his changes get to stick. I also wish he writing some other cosmic stuff like Nova or GOTG. Is anyone here reading Royals? How is it?

Royals is okay. The art is a little weird for my taste, but its a solid book. 

Can i plug my pod with Ewing again? :)

Any good Marvel trades I should read? I'm not talking about some of the older 80s-90s stuff. I'm looking at stuff around the Marvel NOW! or Marvel Heroic Age. I've been reading a lot of DC and want to change it up by reading different stories from Marvel. Thanks!

8 minutes ago, SouderDrew said:

Any good Marvel trades I should read? I'm not talking about some of the older 80s-90s stuff. I'm looking at stuff around the Marvel NOW! or Marvel Heroic Age. I've been reading a lot of DC and want to change it up by reading different stories from Marvel. Thanks!

What are some of your favorite stories/runs?