DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Comics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

I miss the unfettered creativity and the anything can happen nature of it, and I miss that things actually stuck, universe changing events actually changed the universe.

Plus the Millar/Hitch Ultimates, the Ellis Ultimate FF, the Guh Lac Tus trilogy, evil genius Reed.... All stuff I love dearly.

Oh and Nick Spencer's Ultimate Comics X-Men was fucking amazing until he left.

• Like 2

I fell off the Ultimate Universe bandwagon around the end of Kirkman's run of UltXM and the Ultimate Clone Saga on USM.  (Both of those happened after Ultimates 3 started IIRC, but I've never read it.)  Up to that point, I enjoyed basically everything.  Even the dumb shit like Cable and Bishop being the same person at different points in the timeline.

It took a bit too get back on track after Ultimatum, but it eventually did and they moved from "modern update of the Marvel U" to "where we can do any batshit crazy thing we want" and it was great again.

• Like 1

If not for the latter day wildness of the Ultimate Universe, Miles Morales would have had all the profile of Sam Wilson as Cap. Short term pop, some definite push, but no question that it's temporary before he goes to another identity. He would have ended up as Spider-Kid or Spider-Boy or Black Spider. Instead he is unquestionably Spider-man and that's pretty cool.

So when I started reading the Claremont/Lee omnibus I realized I was further behind than I thought and hadn't actually read Inferno yet. Its been a good two years at least since I was reading the books so I'm thinking I must have just been reading the build up when I stopped. Just finished Inferno Vol 1. I was never too into the younger mutants outside of the main book when I was reading the Claremont years before, but this ended up far more enjoyable than expected. In general the war between demons with the poor kids caught in the middle is neat, but I also find the general atmosphere and style of Inferno nice. Its completely nuts in general and gets a little creepy with the way poor Manhattan inhabits in the background keep getting taken out. Reading the Crossovers volume next and then Vol. 2.

Digging back into 80's and 90's Marvel and DC reminds me that I really don't like 90's Marvel.  80's Marvel holds up pretty well for me.  DC spent the 90's giving us Vertigo and Sandman and Grant Morrison, etc.  When I think of 90's Marvel, I think of... the Clone Saga, Rob Liefeld and his many imitators, heroes who were borderline sociopaths, and so many character replacements that flopped hard (Thunderstrike, teenage Tony Stark, etc.). I don't even hate Rob Liefeld, but the whole look of those books and covers has lost it's appeal for me:

X-Force_Omnibus_Vol1_HC.jpg

Ok, granted, that's a pretty good lineup for a X-team book.

There's definitely some good runs to be found in 90's Marvel, but I'm remembering why I read so much DC in the 90's and an just now reading a lot of this Marvel stuff for the first time.

Feel free to suggest some.  I'm more reading 80's/90's runs than I am current Marvel/DC/indy.  As I've said before, I generally follow a writer, not an artist or character.  So I read an awful lot of DC when I was collecting and not much 90's Marvel. 

6 minutes ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

Feel free to suggest some.  I'm more reading 80's/90's runs than I am current Marvel/DC/indy.  As I've said before, I generally follow a writer, not an artist or character.  So I read an awful lot of DC when I was collecting and not much 90's Marvel. 

Kesel/Nord DD

Ostrander Heroes for Hire/Quicksilver

Slingers

Did they ever the Slingers gimmick again?  I can't think of any series that used it after that.  Personally, I'd prefer to buy four versions of the same book because they each featured original story rather than buy four copies of the book because of variant covers.

Didn't read Slingers (or know much about Joe Harris' writing, in general), but the bool sounds interesting enough.  Lot of pencillers for a series that lasted 13 issues.  I don't think they had the same penciller for three consecutive issues.

Glad odessasteps mentioned Kesel DD.  Never read it but heard it talked up a fair bit.  Kesel's not really on my radar as a writer, so it might have been a while before I thought to add his run to my list.

Karl was supposed to do my podcast during the section zero kickstarter campaign. Hopefully he will be on at some point. I wanted to talk about the DD run, amongst other stuff (FF, the amalgam books, etc).

I got The Wife a Kindle for Christmas last year and recently its become my "James buys cheap Marvel TPBs" device. I've been reading the Ms. Marvel trades, the 1st 2 Ms. Marvel tradesand the recent Star Lord run.

First off, holy Katz Deli Corned Beef Sammich Special is Ms. Marvel so fuckin fun! Just a really great character who has a clearly defined voice and motive.

I dug th 1st 2 Captain Marvel Volumes though I still wish Carol was Binary (yes, I'm still better). I must admit, I need ot be better versed in recent Marvel cosmic lore because all he stuff that ties to GotG sometimes makes me scratch my head. Which makes me wonder, why did I jump into Star Lord so readily? (easy answer: Kitty Pryde). My only complaint is that The Black Vortx SAga should have been collected into a single volume because the X-Men crossover parts don't appear in the tar-Lord trades and thus I have to piece together some details.

Also reading Waid's Daredevil.. .fuck I wish Waid would right Daredevil until the sun implodes a billion years from now

James

• Like 1