DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Comics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

Let us not sell short Dave Cockrum's art during his 2 runs with Claremont. The majority of the Brood War was Cockrum and then that flows into Paul Smith's incrdible run followed by JRjr's first run. Basically, read everything from Giant Sized #1- Mutant Massacre (jesus talk about a giant status quo shake-up). If you want ot follow through to Fall of The Mutants, X-Men Australia and Inferno I would not dissuade you bcause you get great story and some early Silvestri, Lee and even Leifeld. I do recommend reading New utants as a supplemental seris to UXM during Brood War. In terms of characterization New Mutants might be even BETTER than UXM when Claremont was writing it

James

What should I check out from Casey?  I haven't read a lot of his stuff, but, from word of mouth, I've always put him in the category of, say, Scott Lodbell.  Lodbell isn't someone I'd go out of my way to read.  On the other hand, I really dug Wildcats 3.0, so maybe i'm selling him short,

Going on a massive Byrne binge.  Really into 80's/90's stuff right now and i'm picking up a lot of reprint collections so I can sell off my single issues.  I'm not a collector anymore and comics isn't really a huge hobby of mine, so it makes sense to buy the stuff i want to read in a format that's easy to read and store.  Anyway, in the past few weeks, I've picked up the 8-volume Marvel Visionary set that covers Byrne's entire FF run (as writer, still a volume or two out there where he did the art but not the scripting), all three volumes of Alpha Flight Classic, the two West Coast Avengers tpb's that cover his run, the Hulk Visionaries tpb, and the two trades that collected X-Men: The Hidden Years.  Tonight, I'm ordering the two Namor Visionary trades and the uncollected issues that finished out the run,

I'll never argue that Byrne is a good writer, but he understands how to tell a story in this medium.  And, when he's on, his books are damn fun.  His FF run is probably my favorite run on the book and Alpha Flight was so much fun when he was writing it.  I'm one of the three people that thinks X-Men; The Hidden Years was rather good.

Never read his Namor run.  Looking forward to it and I've never particularly liked Namor.  Those Namor Visionary trades must have sold awfuly, though, since Marvel never bothered to collect the rest of his run,  Not looking forward to the end of the run, when Byrne stopped drawing the book and a young Jae Lee took over.  Those covers look hilariously bad.

• Like 1

Yeah I noticed how there seems to be lack of love X-Men: The Hidden Years. I never read it but some people told me it as fun but way more said it was not worth reading a single issue. Apparently all the love is saved for X-Men: Year One

James

I'm actually using comicbookdb.com to scan through the bibliographies of writers and artists I like, and see what else i should check out,  Really helpful for finding runs you'd forgotten about.  I completely forgot about the Namor run (didn't read it at the time) and I have no memory of him writing Iron Man for a couple years.

I really enjoyed X-Men: The Hidden Years, fwiw.  I really wish I had enjoyed Byrne's run on Doom Patrol (It was dire, imo).  I love Doom Patrol's characters and concept, but I've never enjoyed a Doom Patrol book (not even Morrison's run, even though I like most of Morrison's output quite a bit).

also for the record, you should all be giving the Excalibur EPIC Collection your best "Come here and let me read you in bed" look. Dear lord I forogt how much I love Alan Davis teamed with Claremont

James

• Like 1

FWIW, there's a John Byrne Alpha Flight Omnibus coming.

Also Amazon is running a promotion where if you buy a graphic novel, you can get a free Kindle Marvel gn from a pretty big selection. I used it to get the aforementioned Excalibur book.

5 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

FWIW, there's a John Byrne Alpha Flight Omnibus coming

It was actually published a few months ago.

I prefer the softcover collections.  The hardcover omibuses tend to be expensive and hard to store.  If I was going to display my collection on a bookshelf, I'd go with hardcovers.  As it is, a trade paperback is easier to bag and store in a comic box.  Also, the OOP hardcover omnibuses tend to command ridiculous prices on eBay.

I would normally prefer hardcover first printings, but I'm just not serious enough about collecting.

I'm guessing because of the Visionaries editions of Simonson Thor and Byrne FF we will not be getting EPIC Collections for either anytime soon or The ASgardian Wars (but that really needs a cheaper digital edition released pronto)

James

and... HOLY FUCK! Did Mrvel buy Dark Horse back catalog of Star Wars reprints because there are more EPIC SW collections than I remember there being issues of the original SW run

James

3 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

It's weird, the random holes you find in Unlimited.

How big is the Marvel selection on Comixology's unlimited service?

It's mostly evergreen TPBs with a small selection of recent #1s they want to push.

33 minutes ago, J.H. said:

and... HOLY FUCK! Did Mrvel buy Dark Horse back catalog of Star Wars reprints because there are more EPIC SW collections than I remember there being issues of the original SW run

James

I'm not sure if they bought it, or if they just came with the license, but yes, they own the entire comic book library.

On 5/28/2017 at 0:37 AM, J.H. said:

also for the record, you should all be giving the Excalibur EPIC Collection your best "Come here and let me read you in bed" look. Dear lord I forogt how much I love Alan Davis teamed with Claremont

James

I have been eying it for a while, Alan Davis is coming to Heroes Convention this June.  All of my single issues are at my parents in storage

Went to one of the local shops today looking for that ff annual. Didn't find it but did find the 3 issues of Section Zero.

Fear the kickstarter for the revival is not going to succeed. Around 70% with 3 days to go.