DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Comics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

CBR has a column up observing that Bendis' Guardians of the Galaxy run is a "love letter" to the Giffen/DeMatteis/Maguire JLI run. 

So.. I should hate Bendis' GotG more than I do?

(For the record, I like Benidis' writing an awful lot.  I like an awful lot of Giffen's output, esp. the 5YL Legion.  And DeMatteis is my favorite writer from the late 70's/early 80's.  Despite all of that, I loathe JLI with a passion.)

I really wanted to like it. Ben Reilly is maybe my favourite Spider-character ever due to sentimentality for my childhood. But the baseline of "What if Spider-man lost all the connections that humanize him?" plus identity issues worked well.

The issue was a mess though. Ben as the Jackal with conviction in what he was doing fit, but Slott failed to escalate Clone Conspiracy well which led to the character making some bad turns as it went. That left PAD in a weird spot to pick up from and tbh it just got messier from there. Super disappointing but kinda hoping once Kaine catches up to him something can happen to hard reset the character.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, The Unholy Dragon said:

I really wanted to like it. Ben Reilly is maybe my favourite Spider-character ever due to sentimentality for my childhood. But the baseline of "What if Spider-man lost all the connections that humanize him?" plus identity issues worked well.

The issue was a mess though. Ben as the Jackal with conviction in what he was doing fit, but Slott failed to escalate Clone Conspiracy well which led to the character making some bad turns as it went. That left PAD in a weird spot to pick up from and tbh it just got messier from there. Super disappointing but kinda hoping once Kaine catches up to him something can happen to hard reset the character.

I'm also a Ben Reilly fan as it was he and Peter Parker in my childhood reading Spider-Man. Naturally Batman was number one and forever will be! I didn't read the Clone Conspiracy as I dropped Dan Slott on Spider-Man (in truth I should have done it sooner) but kept tabs on it. I didn't like what Dan's done to Ben turning him bad. If Ben Reilly ever came back, I hoped as was rather than what is. 

Christopher Yost did a great job with Kaine in Scarlet Spider (Vol. 2) and New Warriors (Vol. 5)

I've reserved the first issue only from my LCS before reviews came in.

• Like 1

Invincible Iron Man: Reboot collects Invincible Iron Man #1-5 from the All-New All-Different Marvel. I bought the first issue when it came out and now I read the next four. Iron Man forges an uneasy alliance with an old enemy proclaiming he’s changed to face another old enemy. A good read, nothing more or less. The highlight is David Marquez’s art. I’ve liked the look of the Iron Man armour since it was revealed though I’m not keen on how it’s able to transform as it can.

Spider-Man: Miles Morales collects Spider-Man #1-5 from the All-New All-Different Marvel. I bought the first issue when it came out and now I’ve read the next four. Miles Morales is in the mainstream Marvel Universe rather than his own and we see how he does in/out of the costume. This was average not helped by the Dan Slott characterization of Black Cat, Ganke doing something on a bloody hunch he’s trustworthy (!) and how overused Miles’ venom blast is.

Been listening to Jay & Miles X-Plain The X-Men podcast and it has led to me revisiting all those early Claremont stories... I don't care what anyone says, this stuff is still amazing!

James

• 2 weeks later...

Started rereading Peter David's run on Hulk.  So, yeah, the McFarlane art at the beginning of the run hasn't aged well for me.  I really dug McFarlane's work back then, but now the scratchy style doesn't work for me that well.  Don't hate it - and I like the way he drew the Hulk - but I find myself looking forward to the later part of the run when Dale Keown and Gary Frank had stints as the regular penciller.  

I do think McFarlane had a good grasp of how to tell a story.  The art style may not hold up for me, but I like what he was doing in terms of layouts.  Really dig his early work on Infinity Inc. for the same reason.

I don't like the David/McFarlane run quite as much as I did at the time.  David was turning out some great scripts at the time.  A lot of the single issue stories are really good (the domestic violence issue was really well done, as was the "Savage, the Man Bull" story), but the overall arc with the Leader kinda ends with a whimper and isn't really as interesting as I remembered.  .  

Planning to read a lot of my favorite 80's/90's stuff this summer.  Been selling off my comic collection (if the issues are collected) and buying the reprint collections instead.  Last week was the Peter David Hulk Visionary set.  This week, I'm ordering a couple volumes of the Alpha Flight Classic trades, so the first 28 issues of Alpha Flight will be getting sold back to my lcs as soon as the trade paperbacks arrive,

• Like 1

On 5/17/2017 at 8:45 AM, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

Planning to read a lot of my favorite 80's/90's stuff this summer.  Been selling off my comic collection (if the issues are collected) and buying the reprint collections instead.  Last week was the Peter David Hulk Visionary set.  This week, I'm ordering a couple volumes of the Alpha Flight Classic trades, so the first 28 issues of Alpha Flight will be getting sold back to my lcs as soon as the trade paperbacks arrive,

Byrne's Alpha Flight was during his really hot period, those first 12 issues are some of my favorites

I'm out of Claremont era X-Men and Claremont/Simonson era New Mutants and am debating if I want to even continue go past that point (i.e. into adjectiveless X-Men and *sigh* X-Force)

James

22 hours ago, odessasteps said:

It certainly seems that Byrne killing off Hudson was the kind of shock that wasn't really done at that time.

I remember when it happened being totally stunned since Guardian was the most popular character (along with Puck). Sales dropped off after they killed him, dropped further after the swerve of bringing him back and then pretty much tanked once Byrne left. The title floated around cancellation for the rest of its run (at least that was what a few editors at Marvel told me back in the day)

James

10 hours ago, J.H. said:

Byrne's Alpha Flight was during his really hot period, those first 12 issues are some o my favorites

I'm out of Claremont era X-Men and Claremont/Simonson era New Mutants andam debating if I want ot even continue pastthat point (i.e. into adhectiveless X-Men and *sigh* X-Force)

James

The solo Nicieza X-Force run is fine but I can't imagine you want to read a hundred Lobdell X-Men issues. You should just skip to Mike Carey.

Jesus was Lobdell on the book that fucking long? That is mind boggling

I never read the Claremont/Davis run but no one ever seems to talk about it (which might be all the explanation I need)

James

1 hour ago, J.H. said:

Jesus was Lobdell on the book that fucking long? That is mind boggling

I never read the Claremont/Davis run but no one ever seems to talk about it (which might be all the explanation I need)

James

I liked Lobdell's X-Books tbh. Not perfect but fun superhero stuff. His Gen X was better though.

The Claremont/Davis run of UXM is...look, it's not AS BAD as people make it out to be. It's not Chuck Austen. But it's still bad enough to basically kill Claremont as a draw after that and sadly take Alan Davis with him, more or less.

If you're going to read another Claremont run, just read X-Treme. It's flawed but nostalgic in a way. He'd become a parody of himself. And the Mekanix Kitty LS. 

Seriously, either go to Casey/Morrison or just got to Mike Carey. That's when everything changed. The Nick Lowe era. Carey. Then Brubaker/Fraction/Gillen Uncanny. 

• Like 1

I'm still trying to remember where I left off on my X-men reading as far as older stuff goes. I need to remember where I was on X-Factor as well. The last thing I recall is Inferno. What comes next for the X-books after that?

On 5/18/2017 at 6:54 AM, Matt D said:

Kingpin is easily Marvel's best comic since Vision.

So I picked up issue 1 yesterday and I really love it. Going to go back and get the others. I fucking love the art. It's a scratchy Tim Sale vibe that feels really surreal and dream like. 

I really haven't been impressed with dialogue in comics the last few years. All the characters usually feel like the same extension of the author and every character manages to have some witty joke to tell when in they probably shouldn't have much of a sense of humor. Like everyone is fucking Joss Whedon all of a sudden. KINGPIN was one of the few comics I've read recently where I felt like the dialogue wasn't trying so fucking hard to be loved and I loved that. 

So I join Matt in the praise.

• Like 2