DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Comics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

Deadpool #36-40 by Gerry Duggan and Brian Posehn. Deadpool takes place in the Axis event (heard the name, not read the book) and the characters personalities are inverted from the usual. Deadpool is now Zenpool. I liked how Deadpool gets Avengers status from Iron Man to complete the group membership set, Deadpool/Sabretooth and Deadpool reacting inside Zenpool to what Zenpool is doing. This recalls S.H.I.E.L.D. Agent Emily Preston to Deadpool in a portion of the run by the creative team. A good arc but lacking compared to the majority of the work from the run. I didn’t like the ending either.

In Deadpool #40, Roxxon Oil pays Deadpool to show him the good Roxxon does, dispel allegations against Roxxon and environmental myths. I enjoyed this propaganda piece put out by the company for positive public relations and challenge oppositions views.

Deadpool (Vol. 8): All Good Things collects Deadpool (2012) #41-44 and #250 by Gerry Duggan/Brian Posehn and the last of this run. In Deadpool #41-44, Deadpool sides with the opposition and goes up against Omega Red. Ultimatum goes back on their deal to leave Deadpool and those he cares about. An average tale.

In Deadpool #250’s first story, this is carried out and Deadpool’s preparation/attack on Ultimatum is funny. Bittersweet ending too. Six short stories on friends in this run by guest writers are okay/alright. The final story is a flashback to ’91 as Deadpool acquires the Infinity Gauntlet with the Marvel Universe attending a Marvel Universe roast. I enjoyed the cameo appearance of the dinosaur/lizard from Deadpool (2012) #1. Deadpool #250 was a very good issue.

I really enjoyed this run barring a few missteps. The highlight of it was the Good, the Bad and the Ugly also Dead Presidents.

Deadpool Gerry Duggan/Brian Posehn run I’ve read: Deadpool #1-6, #13-25, Dracula’s Gauntlet #1-7, Deadpool #27, #29-34, #36,-44 and #250. Total: 45 issues. Missing: 9.

Read the following a while ago and thought it time to post the reviews:

The Superior Foes of Spider-Man (Vol. 1): Getting the Band Back Together collects The Superior Foes of Spider-Man #1-6. This series focuses on the villains side, the Sinister Six, Boomerang/Shocker/Overdrive/Speed Demon/the new Beetle… yes there are only five of them as they commit crimes, have meetings and try to stay out of jail. A super and very funny read with the aforementioned storytelling from the rogues POV.

The Superior Foes of Spider-Man (Vol. 2): The Crime of the Century collects The Superior Foes of Spider-Man #7-11. This comic book is about the new Sinister Six: Boomerang/Shocker/Overdrive/Speed Demon/the new Beetle…yep there isn’t a sixth member. We find out about the new Beetle’s past and Boomerang’s actions continue to catch up to him. A really funny comic though it’s a shame we lose regular writer Nick Spencer for two issues and regular artist Steve Lieber for three. #10 had a different creative team but fell not much short to their level which is creditable unlike #11 by another fill-in team, easily the worst issue of the book’s history.

The Superior Foes of Spider-Man (Vol. 3): Game Over collects The Superior Foes of Spider-Man #12-17 about the Sinister Six, Boomerang/Shocker/Overdrive/Speed Demon/the new Beetle who aren’t the Sinister Six as there’s only five of them! We get the master of bullshit in Fred Myers who’s Boomerang, Overdrive’s origin and double-crosses. So ends the funniest comic book series I’ve ever read laughing out loud frequently and a comic with constant twists. I particularly enjoyed two appearances in the final issue. Thank you, Nick Spencer and Steve Lieber.

There’s a closing piece by CM Punk saying how he enjoyed the book.

Took a stab at X-Men Gold and... meeeeehhhhhhh. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy Marvel's finally given up the permanent extinction threat bullshit that's been permeating the X-books since Decimation, but this read like a plain glass of water. And as a huge fan of Marvel cosmic, watching Terrax get jobbed like that to a team he'd murderize in seconds was particularly cringe-worthy. This book kinda needed an infusion of new characters instead of another lame WaTXM/Amazing/Extraordinary permutation that's already failed over and over again. The new Brotherhood could prove to be something worth checking out especially with a former New Mutant being with them. I'll give it to the end of the first arc to see if Guggs will do something worthwhile. 

I'm gonna give Blue a shot next week(even though I really don't give a damn about the 05) because I think Bunn is good enough to hopefully do something interesting with these characters.

Spider-Gwen (Vol. 2) #16. Spider-Gwen is joined by Miles Morales Spider-Man in search of his missing Dad. Matt Murdock gives them a lead. This issue is part two of a crossover, I only subscribe to Spider-Gwen and The Amazing Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows. The first quarter/conversation between the Spiders is slow going. This issue improves from there. Fittingly Miles Morales gets the bio piece.

Spider-Gwen (Vol. 2) #17. Part 4 of the Spider-Gwen and Spider-Man (Miles Morales) crossover. Spider-Gwen and Spider-Man continue to look for Miles Dad while having to deal with S.I.L.K. The issue features appearances by Spider-Man and Ms. Marvel from Earth 616 for the first time in Spider-Gwen. This was a better issue to the last for the humour and the two appearances I mentioned. The bio piece is on Ms. Marvel.

Spider-Gwen (Vol. 2) #18. Part 6 of the Spider-Gwen/ Spider-Man, Miles Morales crossover and I didn’t like it. The issue was rushed, not feeling the relationship between the two Spiders and want the book to focus solely on Gwen’s Earth-65. The bio is fun about Spider-Ham.

On 4/6/2017 at 5:33 PM, APO said:

Took a stab at X-Men Gold and... meeeeehhhhhhh. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy Marvel's finally given up the permanent extinction threat bullshit that's been permeating the X-books since Decimation, but this read like a plain glass of water. And as a huge fan of Marvel cosmic, watching Terrax get jobbed like that to a team he'd murderize in seconds was particularly cringe-worthy. This book kinda needed an infusion of new characters instead of another lame WaTXM/Amazing/Extraordinary permutation that's already failed over and over again. The new Brotherhood could prove to be something worth checking out especially with a former New Mutant being with them. I'll give it to the end of the first arc to see if Guggs will do something worthwhile. 

I only picked up Gold because of that New Mutant (I'm a huge fan of the original group) and I'm hoping there's some decent rational behind this. 

Other than that, there was not much that would lead me to come back for more. 

Nova's cancellation saddens me. 

Catching up with my Marvel reads over the last month.

All New X-men had an ending that gave me hope we will see the original five gone. Then X-men Blue shat on that and threatened new team members which will almost undoubtedly involve people I might actually be interested in which sucks.

Extraordinary X-men's ending was ok. The attempt for an emotional moment would have likely meant more had the run not been mediocre to suck the majority of the time.

X-men Gold was ok. I don't dislike the members of the team, but I'm not big on its make-up.

World of Wakanda's first arc ended. It was kind of average on the whole. I appreciate Marvel trying a different writer from the norm, but their output just felt kind of bland and obvious with this one.

Black Panther & the Crew #1 was ok. The entire issue was pretty much set up with only two members appearing. Not the best start.

Black Panther & Ultimates are still the best things I'm reading.

5 hours ago, Eivion said:

Nova's cancellation saddens me. 

Catching up with my Marvel reads over the last month.

All New X-men had an ending that gave me hope we will see the original five gone. Then X-men Blue shat on that and threatened new team members which will almost undoubtedly involve people I might actually be interested in which sucks.

Extraordinary X-men's ending was ok. The attempt for an emotional moment would have likely meant more had the run not been mediocre to suck the majority of the time.

X-men Gold was ok. I don't dislike the members of the team, but I'm not big on its make-up.

World of Wakanda's first arc ended. It was kind of average on the whole. I appreciate Marvel trying a different writer from the norm, but their output just felt kind of bland and obvious with this one.

Black Panther & the Crew #1 was ok. The entire issue was pretty much set up with only two members appearing. Not the best start.

Black Panther & Ultimates are still the best things I'm reading.

Black Panther has been absolutely incredible. But then, seeing Brian Stelfreeze and Chris Sprouse on art helps a lot. The writing has been so great though.

5 hours ago, Matt D said:

Kingpin may be my favorite "No One Is Reading This" Marvel title, btw. 

I need to check that out. Matthew Rosenberg is a GREAT writer who hasn't super broken out yet. We Can Never Go Home is one of the best indie books that not enough people have read or talked about.

• Like 1

I've been perfectly okay with the Steve/Hydra thing so far, because I get the distinction and I also get the idea that they thought Hillary was going to win so this would be more of a cautionary tale, but the lengths they went to stress that no, Steve is REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY Hydra! this week is both overkill and unnecessary. It's, to me, a defensiveness-laden move and I don't quite get how it made it past Brevoort. It's 2017. We're okay with imaginary stories being imaginary! I mean the only thing they could have done further was to make it seem like it was Jack Kirby and Joe Simon as the US scientists using the Cosmic Cube to break the "Real" history and make Steve the Cap we know and love.

That would be the most Mark Millar thing ever.

6 minutes ago, The Unholy Dragon said:

I feel like there's still an out there. Just because it's the history he remembers doesn't mean it's the main history, you know?

That being said, they REALLY need to stop casually futzing with the timeline.

Sure but that'd be self-aware to the point of bad storytelling. "Ok, so not only will we make it seem like Steve was secretly part of our team all along, but we'll ALSO make it seem like he was not only part of our team but changed to NOT be part of our team."

Just looking at it, I think it's an attempt to smooth out the last 50 years of stories so that they don't have to make every tiny little story sync up with the idea that Steve is secretly hydra. I didn't have a problem with that, but I can see why they'd think they had to do it. I thought the "Steve was Secretly Hydra all along!" aspect is more interesting than "Steve had no idea he was Hydra until last year!" I guess it doesn't work out well for all the times he best Red Skull, etc, but I was just assuming time was changed to match up and it was all part of a longer game, etc. 

So, in the end, not that defensive but probably unnecessary.

Same.  I'm not wild about the Cap-is-Hydra plotline from a conceptual view.  Even if Spencer wraps up the storyline is some satisfactory manner, I fully expect all of this to be retconned down the line, probably by a writer I think is a hack or something.  However, I've really enjoyed the Cap book and the first issue of Secret Empire has me ready for more.  I've changed my opinion of Spencer quite a bit of late.

Interesting that they keep going further down the rabbit hole with this.  It's been assumed that Steve was somehow altered by Kobrik.  The alternate theory that Secret Empire 0 throws out there was a "holy shit" moment for me.  They can't possibly let that become canon, can they?

1 hour ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

Interesting that they keep going further down the rabbit hole with this.  It's been assumed that Steve was somehow altered by Kobrik.  The alternate theory that Secret Empire 0 throws out there was a "holy shit" moment for me.  They can't possibly let that become canon, can they?

Tell me more about this. Its likely to annoy me, but I'm curious.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Tell me more about this. Its likely to annoy me, but I'm curious.

In the Marvel Universe, the Axis won WWII with Hydra's help and Steve Rogers as Hydra Cap only for the Allies to make the first Cosmic Cube which they used to reverse the results of the war. So Kobik making Steve loyal to Hydra restored the Steve from the unaltered timeline which is why his idea of Hydra and loyalty was different than what the Red Skull intended.

But yeah, the tl;dr is that Hydra Steve is actually the 'original' from before the Allies used a Cosmic Cube do-over to reverse losing WWII which...it's an interesting concept, but I can't imagine it becomes a lasting canon people use.

Edit: Unholy Dragon posted while I was typing.

Spoiler

I actually love the idea.  I've gotten used to wacky ideas to temporarily replace heroes - Doc Ock is Peter Parker's body, for example - but this is really, really out there.  The idea is that Steve was always supposed to be a Hydra loyalist and Kobirk merely undid the first Cube's tinkering.

The bigger implication is almost all of the Marvel U's history is false and everyone should have lived in a Nazi paradise for the past 70 years.

I'm really curious to see where this goes.  It will be trippy if they run with this idea.