DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Comics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

On 15/12/2016 at 11:35 PM, APO said:

They should've stayed in space ruling the Kree and being one of the backbones of cosmic Marvel along with Nova and the Guardians(well... pre-Bendis, at least), IMO. Bringing them back to Earth and fast-tracking making them so important in two of the last three big Marvel events when it's blatantly obvious that their push is editorially-mandated was a huge mistake. The post-SW Terrigen mists extinction status quo making them look like villains is another and I'm honestly kinda shocked Marvel didn't see this coming.

I mean, Marvel also thought Carol Danvers as the face of predictive justice wouldn't make her seem like a huge villain the same way Tony seemed like one after the first Civil War.(and took a WHILE to shake with the IM movie dovetailing into the Fraction run helping a lot)

There's a lot of jabs at DC for burying their heads in the sand but they generally seem pretty responsive to feedback relatively speaking. It really feels like sometimes Marvel just thinks they can sell anything the way they want it.

See the fact that 'giving up' on the Inhumans still involves at least 3 Inhumans-centric ongoings including Secret Warriors being like "HEY DID YOU KNOW WE RETCONNED QUAKE TO BE AN INHUMAN LIKE AOS AND ALSO THE POPULAR MS. MARVEL AND MOON GIRL ARE ALSO INHUMANS? PLEASE LIKE INHUMANS!"

You could write a book on how Marvel has consistently screwed the pooch when it comes to Carol Danvers. I honestly believe that her siding with Tony in the first Civil War pretty much ruined her, especially when she beat the living shit out of Julia Carpenter right in front of her own daughter in her own CW tie-in issues.

5 minutes ago, Cliff Hanger said:

Too bad; I enjoy the pod and I've been a fan of CG since the Deadshot and Union Jack minis.

I think i met him at Heroes in Charlotte right after Deadshot came out, so it could have been his first con as a pro. 

5 hours ago, Jerome Miller said:

Riri Williams sales figures via ComicsBeat:

Well, that's not good.  Especially in light of the last reboot of the title in October 2015, which shipped 250,000 copies.

Yeah but that was as part of a coordinated relaunch after the whole MU spent months on hiatus whereas this picked up less than a month after the last volume ended with the same creative team and pretty blatantly could have been issue 17 or whatever. 

I wouldn't worry about it unless it drops significantly below what the Tony numbers were like.

EDIT: Also 13 variants to 6 and party promotion vs. none. And last year's series dropped to 66k for issue 2 which dropped the same month which should say something about the promo/variant vs. actual sales expectations there. Marvel has so many ways to boost their numbers for key issues that it's not always clear what the underlying sales/audience is. So yeah. Less bells and whistles means a quieter launch. Let's see what the issue 2-4 drops look like before panic sets in.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jerome Miller said:

Riri Williams sales figures via ComicsBeat:

Well, that's not good.  Especially in light of the last reboot of the title in October 2015, which shipped 250,000 copies.

The build to Riri Williams has sucked, frankly. Her book's decent though. So is the Doom version.

my Marvel wish list for 2017 (and beyond!):

The Human Torch (Jim Hammond, the Golden Age hero, not the F4 johnny storm version) becomes a major player and gets an ongoing solo series.

MiracleMan finally gets going on being published again, including new issues from Gaiman & Buckingham.

a bit off to the side, but the 1994 Spider-Man cartoon gets a proper DVD release.

I'm reserving the total reset button wish for Hank Pym.  I thought there was some potential after Rage of Ultron, even though I was unhappy with it.  But Man Who Fell to Earth just pissed it away in favor of Hanktron murdering billions while arguing with himself.

My only New Year's wish for Marvel is that, with all the fan backlash against Clone Conspiracy, Dan Slott is finally tossed off the Spider books.  

Make Gerry Conway the head writer for a year or two as a "caretaker" and let him retcon the giant continuity snarls that Slott created: put Gwen and Ben back in the grave, reveal that the Black Cat running around and murdering people and acting like a crime lord was actually a malfunctioning Life Model Decoy and the real Felicia Hardy has been undercover for SHIELD in Europe or something, have Peter go back to being a freelance photographer for the Daily Bugle, make Mary Jane stop acting like a selfish b*tch towards Peter and return as his primary emotional support, make Dr. Octopus and others who learned Peter's secret identity forget it again.

Also, bring back Sue Storm and Reed Richards, but "merge" Sue with her Ultimate version (gorgeous, single, and in her early twenties) and have her become Namor's primary love interest.

And one last thing, ban John Romita Jr. from ever working for Marvel again as punishment for the gang-rape scene he drew in Kick Ass 2.  Same goes for Mark Millar, obviously.