DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Comics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

I'm really excited about a few things coming out of NYCC.

First and foremost is Yost's New Warriors which is the best sounding New Warriors launch since the 90s. PAD relaunching X-Factor with Quicksilver and Gambit should be a lot of fun. Avengers Undercover actually sounds great as Hopeless did a really good job with the characters and this will be a far less exploitative book. Plus lots of fleshing out of villains and lots of Zemo. Slott/Allred Silver Surfer is going to be a sick amount of fun. It LOOKS like we'll be getting Robinson/Kirk on Fantastic Four. I've been enjoying both X-Force books so a crossover should be worth reading.

I don't really care about Iron Patriot/Ghost Rider/Elektra or Miracleman for that matter, but still a lot of stuff to look forward to.

I'm not actually too excited for any of the new books announced. I'm a bit interested in Captain Marvel since I like Carol and the cosmic area of Marvel, but having reading the first volume of KSD's run I'm little worried as I think she writes a great Carol, but seems to be weak in actual plotting. Interested a little in New Warriors as well though I'm little worried whether or not Yost actually will remember the growth and maturing Justice and Speedball have gone through.

Would have read a Punisher book about Rachel Cole-Alves.

Seriously, who even needs DC anymore at this point? Marvel is having a great run right now.

Interested a little in New Warriors as well though I'm little worried whether or not Yost actually will remember the growth and maturing Justice and Speedball have gone through.

He can sweep the whole Penance thing under the rug for all I care.

Man, I miss Faerber on Noble Causes and Superboy.  Most of his other stuff I could take or leave.

Really dug Dynamo 5 as well. He's said in the past both Dynamo 5 & Noble Causes are done for good, the sales weren't up to snuff, sadly.

He did. He's such a crap writer.

Zeb Wells is an anomaly to me. I loved his arc in Amazing Spider-Man (Shed) maybe the best Lizard story ever but nothing else he has written comes close to that, but nothing is in the 'crap' category, IMO.

From the January solicitations:

- Fearless Defenders seems to have been cancelled. Not surprising as the numbers were terrible but a very fun book

- No Hawkeye in January, but I don't think it's cancelled. I hope it's not cancelled

- Miracleman is shipping twice a month and Alan Moore is being credited as 'the original writer'

EDIT:Bleeding Cool also seems to think the solicit text for Wolverine MAX, X-Men Legacy and Young Avengers is telegraphing cancellation as well.

Hate to see YA winding down, but I've heard that the writer said that he only planned on a 15 issue run to tell his story.  If the book continues I'll pick up the next few issues, but I'm afraid it won't be the must-read for me that it's been.

As far as NYCC, looking forward to the new X-Factor.  I'm curious about the Miracleman reprints (I've never read any MM stuff but I've heard really good things).  I may give Loki a flip through on the stand before I make up my mind about it.

Read Captain Marvel: Down. I dug the first story focusing on Carol relationship with Monica. The dynamic between the characters was fun and plot while kind of throw away wasn't too bad either. Dexter's Soy art was probably the best it had been up to that point within the series as well. The second story focusing on Carol having some kind of lesion on her brain was interesting. First, fuck everyone who hated Soy's art because there is no way in hell the artist who replaced him wasn't a punishment. Filipe Andrade's art was just terrible. It was far too stylistic and belonged nowhere near a superhero book. Shitty art aside the actual story for the second arc wasn't too bad. It wasn't a direction I liked seeing DeConnick go in, but it was generally well written with a good balance between Carol's stubbornness of facing her reality, her various friends trying to help her, and various superhero moments to test Carol's patience. I will say that one the decent sized fault of this whole plot though is the idea that Carol with her strange Kree/Human hybrid physiology would be seeing a normal doctor and not someone like Reed Richards, Donald Blake, or Dr. Strange. I understand wanting to give Carol a somewhat normal life, but it just makes her look like a dumbass. Complaints aside this was a solid read. I continue to love Deconnick's general characterization of Carol and her growing cast though actual plotting continue to be an area Deconnick shows weakness in. Its not even so much her writing of said plots out which is usually well done. It is her writing truly interesting plots that really draw you in that she seems to have trouble with. Hopefully her taking Carol out into the galaxy will lend to some more interesting stories.