DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Comics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

On the pod, a chat with comics and animation writer JM DeMatteis, discussing Batman: bad blood, JLU, Brave and the Bold, writing all ages comics, Dr Fate, Defenders, Captain America, Justice League 3000/3001 and JLI. And podcast recommendations in wrestling, comics and sports.

http://tinyurl.com/winter25

• Like 1

The Doc Ock/Spider thing was always a temp thing. Its not something you run long term. Sam as Cap, just like Bucky could have easily lasted, but Marvel is unwilling to let go of Steve

Heroes getting replaced by a colleague, student or their enemy are an interest of mine. Dick Grayson replacing Bruce Wayne's Batman written by Grant Morrison mainly then Scott Snyder was the best of these. You mentioning Superior Spider-Man reminds me how I miss that era so.

• Like 1

Very good Marvel week so far.

I'm through (in prioritized order read) All New Avengers, New Avengers, Ultimates, Old Man Logan, Ms. Marvel, Black Knight, Illuminati, Totally Awesome Hulk, Silk, and Red Wolf, and everything was good. It really is a hell of a relaunch.

• Like 1

King may also get a set period exemption for that book alone. There's precedent for allowing current runs to finish before bringing the hammer down. That said, I don't feel like Vision was ever going to get more than 12 issues anyway.

King confirmed on Twitter that his last issue is 12 which is when the storyline was originally ending.

Weirdworld was a real comedown after the battleworld version.

Plus, one of the many new marvel books with a seemingly obligatory young girl sidekick. Its like they all want to be nuWho and theyve already got silver surfer doing that.

I re-read a bunch of the Posehn/Duggan Deadpool run last night. God, that is good stuff. I know a lot of hardcore comic fans don't like Deadpool, and some of their critcisms are valid. But not this run. It's classic stuff. Especially towards the end when everything is going great for Deadpool, and she he can't shake a feeling of depression, though he masks it with jokes (obviously). I don't know, I related a lot to that.

Also, Deadpool & Shiklah FOREVER.

• Like 2

I re-read a bunch of the Posehn/Duggan Deadpool run last night. God, that is good stuff. I know a lot of hardcore comic fans don't like Deadpool, and some of their critcisms are valid. But not this run. It's classic stuff. Especially towards the end when everything is going great for Deadpool, and she he can't shake a feeling of depression, though he masks it with jokes (obviously). I don't know, I related a lot to that.

I have been a fan of Deadpool for a long time and The Good, the Bad and the Ugly might be my favorite Deadpool story arc.  Posehn and Duggan did some great work on that.

I've been going back through the stuff I've missed in the past decade with MU and... how did Wolverine & the X-Men not blip on my radar?  Post-Schism Logan as headmaster of the Animal House of mutant schools might be one of my favorite Marvel concepts ever.

• Like 1

I have been a fan of Deadpool for a long time and The Good, the Bad and the Ugly might be my favorite Deadpool story arc.  Posehn and Duggan did some great work on that.

I've been going back through the stuff I've missed in the past decade with MU and... how did Wolverine & the X-Men not blip on my radar?  Post-Schism Logan as headmaster of the Animal House of mutant schools might be one of my favorite Marvel concepts ever.

Hell yeah, Vol. 1 of Wolverine & the X-Men is another recent classic. That book made Quentin Quire one of my favorite characters, even though it's the first I've heard of him.

Shame about Vol. 2 though.....

Namor is one of my favorite characters. Can't explain why, I just always liked him. I had a buddy that used to forget his name and just referred  to him as "Undersea Spock" until I pointed out that Namor got laid a lot more than Spock does.

James