DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Comics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

You know, I tried YA and it wasn't clicking for me. One of the most beautiful books I've ever read but it kept slipping to the bottom of my giant pile and eventually fell off :(

Daredevil and Hawkeye are maybe the #1 and #2 books being published today.

Do you even read, bro?  :)   just kidding, mostly.

East of West smokes either of those and until then, those were the two I talked about most as well.

• Like 1

You know, I tried YA and it wasn't clicking for me. One of the most beautiful books I've ever read but it kept slipping to the bottom of my giant pile and eventually fell off :(

Daredevil and Hawkeye are maybe the #1 and #2 books being published today.

Do you even read, bro?   :)   just kidding, mostly.

East of West smokes either of those and until then, those were the two I talked about most as well.

I have the first trade of East of West sitting on my "to be read" pile. I'm getting there!

Not one but TWO issues of AoU on Unlimited today!  What a treasure; it'll fill a full five minutes of my life!  (I really wish they'd add some of the AU side stories, since apparently those are the bits some folks actually liked.  But trying to apply reason to Marvel Unlimited's schedule is like trying to teach a pig to sing.)

Superior Foes isn't a mini, it's an ongoing.  Albeit an ongoing that's likely to end by #12 based on sales.

Cool, figured it was a mini but glad to hear that it is an ongoing.  Albeit, an ongoing that may get "future endeavored"

Not one but TWO issues of AoU on Unlimited today!  What a treasure; it'll fill a full five minutes of my life!  (I really wish they'd add some of the AU side stories, since apparently those are the bits some folks actually liked.  But trying to apply reason to Marvel Unlimited's schedule is like trying to teach a pig to sing.)

I think the strategy of Marvel Unlimited is give them enough to get them hooked, and then charge them to get a fix.  I swear they have just enough of a storyline to make you go to comixology and buy the rest. 

Read X-treme X-men Vol. 2 & X-Termination. Dug X-treme X-men with the relationship between Howlett and Herc Allison's growth as a leader/hero, & Kurt's heartbreaking return to his old world. X-Termination was a pretty solid combing of three series for a big event. I was able to easily keep up with things despite only reading X-treme X-men going in. I thought they did well with the stakes and how they ended several characters stories going in, particularly the Kurts. Another solid read. I'm happy they kept Howlett and the Black Cyclops around, especially with the talk of going to rescuing Herc from Hades. Hopefully more is seen of of all three in the future.

Age of Ultron the main story seemed like a 3 or 4 issue arc spread over 10 issues for no reason other than they had it laying around for a few years to tell.

Originally AoU was supposed to be six issues and the big event of 2012. AvX pushed it back to this year, and they made extra issues and changes to already finished issues to keep in line with the post AvX continuity.

Reread GOD LOVES, MAN KILLS for the first time since junior high yesterday.  It's still pretty awesome, though the bit with Kitty, Anne and the Latino gangbangers feels weirdly gratuitous.

Did anyone else read the body language and such on that last page as implying that Scott and Ororo were going to bed, or am I just prurient?

I don't remember her turning back into Rita either.  Can't find anything online that suggests that happened prior to the X-Force NOW book.

Speaking of X books, I'm actually caught up on most of the X-Line.  Honestly, the writers they've had on the books the past few years generally smokes any prior period in X history (though you can say that about a lot of the Marvel line these days).  Not sure this is the strongest the X-line has ever been (I liked the Gillen/Fraction/Rememder years from just before the NOW reboot quite a bit too), but it's very good right now.  I've quite liked what Bendis has done with the titles and All-New X-Men is probably my favorite book right now.

Battle of the Atom is really killing it for me right now.

Anyone else keeping up with the Avenger books?  I'm really lukewarm on Hickman, and have kinda lost interest in Infinity/the Avengers/New Avengers.

• Like 1

Hickman's Avengers dragged for a while so he could build his cast and the story for Infinity, but since Infinity began I think things have been quite good. Until yesterday I had only been keeping up with the Infinity New Avengers, but even only halfway through the first volume of the series I can say comfortable New Avengers has been good. Its deals with a smaller cast while still having a massive scope with the size and danger of the story. The smaller cast also allows for more focus on the characters themselves. I think Remender's Uncanny Avengers has been good on the average with hints of greatness. Still need to check out Secret Avengers. I have no interest in Assemble, YA, or A.I. while I pretend Arena doesn't exist.

I will likely drop the main Hickman Avengers book affter Infinity unless a must-follow character ends up on the roster. AI has been decent, but without Hank and Victor I would.probably drop it. YA is YA, very slick and stylish and exciting but I still don't have any real emotional investment. Arena is weirdly painful; it's so masterfully executed but I can't not resent the toys it breaks. The idea of buying Secret has never crossed my mind, oddly. Just doesn't interest me in the slightest.

I thought Spiral turning back to Rita happened during the Jim Lee run, like right after Claremont left. I definitely remembering it happening (though her turning back into Spiral the same issue might've happened)

James

Read The Mighty Thor/JIM: Everything Burns. Loved how all of Loki's past schemes came back to bite him and everyone else in the ass in this one. You can't help but for him as all of his scheme was done for a greater at the original time of. Loved seeing Loki and Thor really team up for a bit, and the finish to Leah's story, including her real identity, was quite nice. Damn though did it end on such a sour note with the end of Kid Loki. It was especially heartbreaking seeing the finals bits of conversation between him and the original. Damn good read overall and a great end to Gillen's JIM run.

Read New Avengers: Everything Dies. I like the high stakes of the main plot, and I love the character focus and how well both blend together. I can see now why other prefer this to Hickman's regular Avengers run. It does well focusing on the smaller cast and their general fight to save the multiverse while still maintaining some bit of their morality (sans Namor, arrogant a-hole through and through). I thought Beast was a sensible replacement for Xavier and liked how he was brought in. I liked how Cap was kicked out. He came into this group to clearly be its conscience and the breaking of the Infinity Gems pretty much gave them the excuse to kick him out. In reality there wasn't anything wrong with Cap's plan per say and you really can't fault him for the breaking of gems. It was an idea any of the group could have come with, and they know damn well they would have tried eventually with the same result. The gems breaking were just an excuse to remove the person who had the greatest chance of talking them out of the potential evil they would give in to to save their universe. I'm really liking how this story is building so far. Going off of what happens here and the effect it has on Infinity (entire reason for the Builders war), I'm getting a clear picture of how this and Hickman's Avengers will eventually collide, and I must say its an interesting prospect that I can't wait to see. Really good read, I think I will continue to pick this series up after Infinity.

Infinity #4 - Dug Black Bolt vs. Thanos, and I love Thor the Negotiator.

Battle of the Atom Part 6 & 7 (ANXM #17, X-men #6) - Really like the other future X-men and thought the timeline there looked interesting. The other shoe finally dropping with the first team of future X-men was nice, especially with the moments Jubilee, Rachel, and Psylocke all got in. The why of the first future team's goal is still unclear though.

best possible news.

Marvel has announced that they will begin reprinting the MiracleMan series in January. They'll begin with Alan Moore's stories, and follow that up with Gaiman's, including him FINISHING HIS RUN. Also it seem the whole thing will be re-colored (about time) and re-lettered to avoid lawsuits.

Now if they just announce they'll make them ad-less i'll be super happy.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=48465

apparently they made a deal with Moore that they won't use his name promotionally at all, so that specific is not mentioned in the article, but that's what the announcement was for.

Read 8 issues of the Sam Alexander Nova. Its generally decent though the continuity is a bit messy with Sam's father being Nova over 15 years ago when Rich was supposed to be the first human Nova. It fails to explain the Black Nova's power source with the World Mind having gone dormant. Gamora and Rocket Raccon knowing Sam's father for all these years is also odd. I honestly don't even blame these problems on Loeb as most of this should have been fixed/corrected by by the editor, Steve Wacker, who normally does a better job. Continuity problems aside its not a bad read. Sam is a decent enough character to build on, and Wells does a decent job picking things up after Loeb's departure. Only ting I'm bothered about with Wells' Justice and Speedball. The art makes them look a bit too young, and Wells' writing doesn't really capture the more mature characters they had become over the years.