DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Comics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

Hm. Gage is one of those writers who I eternally expect to break through to the A-list but never quite does (I think I've been expecting this ever since his initial Deadshot and Union Jack minis) and I'm usually willing to give him a try on anything that isn't Buffyverse (because I am not willing to make the time investment necessary to watch the TV shows to get to "now"). But literally everything about ROM worth reviving belongs to Marvel. Without the mythology Hasbro doesn't own, he's just a shiny, boxy dude with a weird gun. I have marginally more faith in Micronauts since that's at least a concept.

The Amazing Spider-Man (2015) #1. This be the All-New, All-Different Marvel and the fourth volume of The Amazing Spider-Man. In the main story Parker Industries has gone global and we see Peter Parker/Spider-Man in different countries. I’ve read all of Dan Slott’s Spider-Man stories since becoming the lead writer with The Amazing Spider-Man #648 and liking the majority of it. Recent Slott stories have been hit and miss, more miss particularly the last volume of this title was mainly bad. I thought about dropping the book twice. I’m open to changes in character direction if done well. I’m not sure about casting Peter Parker/Spider-Man/Parker Industries as Batman, Incorporated with Tony Stark/Iron Man/Stark Industries. The comparisons to Stark by real life people make print: “a poor man’s Tony Stark.” The main story ends on a predictable but very welcome development. If you want me to reveal it, say so. The main story was good as was Giuseppe Camuncoli drawing it. I had a fault with Peter just giving Sajani Jaffrey a reprimand after what she’s done.

There are five short stories from new Spider-Man titles acting as samples, The Amazing Spider-Man with Miles Morales’ Spider-Man the best with a reveal I didn’t see coming. Sadly Spider-Gwen wasn’t one of the five teasers. There’s an editorial pushing the other Spider titles and a funny short to finish the book. I enjoyed this issue, much better than The Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 3) #1.

It's very BENDIS-y.

Thank you.

So what is the predictable but welcome reveal?

A backup of Doctor Octopus is inside the Living Brain. Since The Superior Spider-Man ended, I wondered the direction Doctor Octopus will go in. Will Doc Ock remember his lessons from that time? What body will Otto Octavius use? Will Otto be good or bad?

Wasn't real sure where to talk about this so I figured here was as good as place as any. I'm much more of a DC fan than Marvel. Outside of X Men. A friend of mine was buying each of the Maximum Carnage books as they came and thats what got me into comics...that and Wolverine. I could have SWORN that Moon Knight was in that book but there were so many people in that book that I can't seem to recall if he was or wasn't. 

Everything I've read about the guy is that he's a supernatural, split personality, Batman/Bruce Wayne? So does he operate in the more "supernatural" sect of the Marvel Universe? Even if seemingly a lot of those guys are still pretty anchored in the "mainstream" sect. With Blade and Morbius and what not being fairly strongly tied to Spiderman. 

I've always liked the characters look even if when I wiki him its hard to really get an understanding of his character. 

No idea if it is one of the Essentials that has jumped in price. But if it is still 20 bucks or cheaper grab Essential Moon Knight Vol 1. It is a great collection of all the early Moon Knight stuff and will help answer lots of your questions. 

With Spider-Gwen (Vol. 2) #1 about to be released, here’s my review of the first volume:

Spider-Gwen (Vol. 1) #1 Spider-Gwen’s first appearance was in Edge of Spider-Verse #2, Gwen Stacy Spider-Woman. EOSV #2 was a terrific issue for the writing and art, a new universe. EOSV #2 went to four printings, I got a first printing and due to the acclaim now has a new series by the same creative team, Jason Latour and Robbi Rodriguez. The issue had high expectations because of EOSV #2. This issue is a step down but I still liked it carrying on plot strands from her debut story with Gwen and her Dad, the Mary Janes with new ones, Spider-Gwen battles the Vulture.

Spider-Gwen (Vol. 1) #2 looks at the relationship between Gwen/her Dad, the Mary Janes as the Vulture is interrogated by someone I won’t name for trying to kill Spider-Gwen as her life is to be taken by his employer, Kingpin. The highlight of the issue is Gwen’s interaction with Spider-Ham brought on by a head injury. I liked this issue more than the first one.

Spider-Gwen (Vol. 1) #3. Spider-Gwen has a talk with her Dad as the Vulture goes for Spider-Gwen to prove she’s still alive so Kingpin can have her. A good issue though the talk between Spider-Gwen/her Dad was better done in shorter space in Edge of Spider-Verse #2, Gwen Stacy Spider Woman.

Spider-Gwen (Vol. 1) #4. The issue gives greater insight to Gwen Stacy’s relationship with Ben and May Parker. Most of the issue is dedicated to it, particularly a long conversation with Gwen and Aunt May. A really good issue.

Spider-Gwen (Vol. 1) #5 introduces Felicia Hardy to this world, the Mary Janes perform and we see Spider-Gwen talk with Matt Murdock for the first time. Spider-Gwen is really good with the two page origin stories: Spider-Gwen in Edge of Spider-Verse #2, Gwen Stacy Spider-Woman and Black Cat gets hers in this issue. What makes Spider-Gwen stand out is her world seeing which traditional characters are similar or different (Gwen Stacy and Matt Murdock are particularly well done), the writing and the art. I’d say all three make this issue probably the best of Spider-Gwen so far.

The last page by the Spider-Gwen editor, Devin Lewis says this “will be the final issue of Spider-Gwen. Everything ends with SECRET WARS, and our web-slinging wonder is no exception.” Shame the series was on hiatus while Secret Wars is happening. I wasn't sure whether the book would be relaunched or carry on where it left off. I should have known it would start with a new #1.

All-New, All-Different Marvel books I've bought or will buy:

The Amazing Spider-Man #1

Spider-Gwen #1

All-New, All-Different Marvel books I might buy:

Invincible Iron Man #1

Spider-Man 2099 #1

You, now All-New, All-Different Marvel is here?

I just started reading the Magneto series helmed by Cullen Bunn.  I am really enjoying the take on the character, but of course it is ending at issue #21 (or may have already ended.   Such is life)

It has already ended but does pick up with Magneto leading the Uncanny X-Men still written by Bunn, returning this December.

• Like 1

New Avengers #1:

It's been nearly 17 years since Avengers Forever, and Melissa FINALLY gets to join an Avengers squad.  If you liked Mighty Avengers v2/3 you're likely to enjoy this, even though the chars Ewing was strongest on (Luke, Spidey, Monica, Blue Marvel) are absent. It's a really fun start, and I look forward to seeing where it goes.  

I wouldn't know; the only two books I bought today were NAv and Unity. I've almost totally abandoned spending money on books I know I'll have access to on Marvel Unlimited, but between Ewing's Avengers being generally a treat and being inordinately invested in Songbird I wanted to give this a try. I will probably stay current on either this or Ultimates, not both.

All-New All-Different Marvel Previews #1. I meant to review this book when I got it. This book acts as a preview to All-New All-Different Marvel era as new books or existing ones will start with new #1’s and changes. The book starts with an introduction by Axel Alonso. There are two banners with characters like Spider-Man, Spider-Gwen, the current Captain America and Thor, Rocket Raccoon, Doctor Strange and Old Man Logan. Iron Man is in the centre of both. Each #1 cover is shown with the creative team. Iron Man’s is first but unlike the others includes concept art and interior art. This is followed by Avengers team books, Avengers who have their own series, the Spider-Man titles, Daredevil, Guardians of the Galaxy books and last, the X-Men books. You can read something into the running order: Iron Man getting biggest billing, Spider-Man books behind the Avengers series, X-Men last and little of Fantastic Four. Times have changed as previously that wouldn’t have happened.

At the time the new covers leaked I was definitely picking up Spider-Gwen (Vol. 2) #1, try the few issues of The Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 4) seeing if I like the new premise and maybe Spider-Man 2099 #1. I picked the first two up. I hoped back then and still do the Superior Spider-Man getting a book but it wasn’t to be.

Spider-Gwen (Vol. 2) #1. There’s a Lizard loose mystery more so if you’ve read Edge of Spider-Verse #2, Gwen Stacy Spider Woman. We get flashbacks to Gwen Stacy and Peter Parker at Midtown High School plus the debut in this reality of characters from the mainstream one. When we get a flashback to Gwen Stacy and Peter Parker at Midtown High School, I wish we could have a story arc set there though the creative team is bloody good at doing origins in two pages, see Spider-Gwen and Black Cat. I liked the introductions of this world, Earth-65’s take on characters we know from the traditional universe, Earth-616. I also liked the one page bio at the end what we already know about Spider-Gwen and new reveals in this issue, one made me chuckle. I wasn’t sure whether the title would resume from #5 after Secret Wars or start with a new #1. I should have known it would be relaunched. This was a good issue, a better #1 to (Vol. 1) #1.

Marvel: "The new Captain America is fighting the Sons of the Serpent, a racist hate group."

Fox News: "OMIGOD Captain America is fighting conservatives!"

Did Fox News give away the game here?

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I've read the majority of Batman's big stories and a pretty good section of Spider-Man's classics. Which biggie Wolverine and Daredevil stories should I read? For Wolverine I've read Wolverine by Chris Claremont/Frank Miller and Weapon X by Barry Windsor Smith. As for Daredevil a grand total of...sorry, Brian Fowler...zero. Thanks.