DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Comics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

Is there a crankier old man than John Byrne?

I just read the whole Dan Slott/John Byrne "discussion" on BleedingCool and Slott couln't possibly be any more polite and even kisses Byrne's ass as much as humanly possible and Byrne is all like "Get off my lawn, you damn whippersnapper".

Uncanny: Steve Rogers, Rogue, Quicksilver, Brother Voodoo, Spider-Man (Parker), Toro, Deadpool

According to IGN, that's not Toro, it's Inferno, the Inhuman. The tagline they use is "Fighting for Humanity, Inhumanity, Mutants.... and Deadpool."

Guardians of the Galaxy: Rocket, Groot, Drax, Venom, The Thing, and what is assumed to be Kitty Pryde.

I think it's Peter Quill's sister. Wouldn't make sense for Peter to decide to live on Earth with Kitty and Kitty to peace out.

Byrne isn't a cranky old man. He's a dick. He's ALWAYS been a dick.

Fair enough. I probably would be able to take his opinion more seriously, if his output over the last 20 years wasn't so awful and he wasn't involved with some of the worst Spider-Man stories.

Man, you guys have been awfully negative on Marvel for an awfully long time. I'm only a casual follower, but I think Secret Wars has been great and I'm excited to see some of these shake ups.

I'm only negative towards their treatment of the X-Men and Fantastic Four. I have a "wait and see" atittude towards everything else. I actually like a lot of their books.

I've been very high on Marvel the past several years (ten?  More?).  When I was really into comics (late 80's/early 90's), DC had a lot of writers I really dug working for them.  Grant Morrison, James Robinson, Neil Gaiman,  The Marvel line back then tended to have good art (albeit a lot same-ie looking styles, courtesy of what became the Image founders) and occasionally be well written (Peter David's Hulk, Kurt Busiek's really fun run on Avengers), etc.  As I said a few posts back, I buy books mostly on the strength of who's writing them.  So I was a much bigger DC fan than Marvel. 

That's turned around in the past 15 years.  Marvel seems to have better writers and as more focused product.  The X-Men have had a lot of good creative teams lately.  I dug Fraction's run quite a bit.  Gillen's run was probably the best the book has been.  Mike Carey had good runs on two different X-books, as did Bendis.  Rememder's X-Force was outstanding.  Most of the A books have had at least a really good run or two over the past several years, and a lot of the B characters have gotten great runs (Brubaker on Iron Fist, Fraction's Hawkeye, etc.).

I've loved Hickman's Avengers epic and Secret Wars has been a lot of fun so far.  After that, it's up in the air.  'm not too interested in the across-the-board changes they seem to be making, but Marvel's done a lot of radical things to individual books status quo's the last few years and those experiments have mostly worked (young X-Men, SpOck, female Thor).  But I'm not so attached to the characters that that even bugs me much.

My main gripe is the company's rotation of writers seems a step down from what Marvel's had the past few years.  Nothing against Hopeless or Cullen Bunn, but nothing they've done to date has interested me as much as a good Rememder or Fraction book.  If I named ten or 12 writers who have worked for Marvel recently and who I want to see writing a new Marvel book, only two or three look to be writing Marvel books post-Secret Wars.  No Fraction, Rememder, Carey. etc. makes me a sad camper.

Honestly, the only thing I'm really negative about/ is the Fox/X-Men thing.  I don't believe for a second that they'll succeed in making the Inhumans this decade's mutants.  I like the core Inhumans well enough (the Royal Family), but I've never really though there was a lot of interesting characters in the group.  Forcing the Inhumans into seemingly every corner of the line and hitting a lot of the same notes they've hit with mutants for the past 20 years does nothing for me,

They'll be three or four books that make my pull list (Bendis' Spider Man book, Squadron Supreme, Thor), and I'll check out a lot of the rest, but only a couple of the maybe's look even mildly interesting to me.  On the other hand, Marvel isn't DC so there's some reason to think the line will keep it together..

• Like 1

I'm not sure what all he has done at Marvel , but i'd say Sixth Gun is better than anything Bunn has done there.

Bunn's indie stuff is good to great but his Marvel stuff has been good as well if not on short runs:

- Fearless Defenders

- a more extended run on Venom (surprised no return to the cliffhanger ending in that book)

- Wolverine (following Aaron)

- Magneto (dipping it's toe into great)

- the glut of "Deadpool Kills" miniseries - caveat emptor

Man, you guys have been awfully negative on Marvel for an awfully long time. I'm only a casual follower, but I think Secret Wars has been great and I'm excited to see some of these shake ups.

I'm generally fine with Marvel. I'm loving Secret Wars. I'm just not very excited for what comes after it so far as most books are either using casts I'm not big on (all three X-men titles, ANAD Avengers), are using writers I'm not big on (Bendis on Guardians), writers who I think may be misplaced (Duggan on Uncanny Avengers),  or just haven't grabbed with the current planned plots (Amazing Spider-man)

I think I would be disappointed if I met Byrne wasn't a jerk. That's how I felt the first time I met Howard Chaykin. Admittedly, it was at San Diego and i was trying to explainthe Toby Danger cartoon playing at the DC booth.

Marvel: Uncanny Inhumans & Mutants

4:30pm – 5:30pm

Room 6DE

Terrigenesis is upon us! Join Editor In Chief Axel Alonso, writers Charles Soule, Cullen Bunn, and Jeff Lemire, and artist Humberto Ramos to get the 4-1-1 on Marvel’s royal family and merry mutants. What does the future have in store for Black Bolt, Queen Medusa, Cyclops, Storm and the rest of the gang? And how do their stories intertwine in this all-new all-different age of storytelling? Find out here!

Shit like this is why I'm negative toward Marvel.

Two quick related questions from someone who at this point only picks up a few TPBs a year and hence isn't totally up to date on all the current goings on.

One: Does this mean that Hickman's Avengers run is over or coming to an end?  I generally only go for these big story runs once they are done so I've been waiting for the day this one wraps up.

Two: If so, what is Hickman up to next?  I didn't see him listed on any of those reveals.  I know he has a couple creator-owned series that have been running for a bit but beyond that I know nothing.

People holding the Inhumans stuff against the comic writers/editors is pretty goofy to me. I assure you that Mark Pannacia, upon taking over X-Men, doesn't want to bury the characters. He wants to make the best comics he can. Because some corporate overlord is pissy doesn't mean he isn't going to try to make good comics. The X-Books over the last ten years or so have been really good for the most part.

• Like 1

Gotta say I'm increasingly jazzed for Ultimates. Then again, it includes three of my favourite Marvel characters on a five person team so of course.

I'm interested as I like everyone involved, but I'm not big on Black Panther and Galatctus on the team.