DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Comics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

Loki: Agent of Asgard Vol 1. Ewing has a solid handle on Loki and does a good job continuing Gillen's direction Loki trying to reinvent himself and being his own worst enemy. Dug the supernatural espionage deal Ewing had going on, and i thought the ending was both awesome and cruel. It made me feel a decent bit of sympathy for Loki. Good read.

Avengers World: Ascension. Good fun read. The focus on one particular character each issue was nice, and Spencer does a good job bringing these characters to life in ways Hickman really never really couldn't with the big plot he was focused on. I'm also quite happy with the teams like SPEAR, Euro-force, & Next Avengers being brought in as its fun to explore the lesser known groups like the latter and expand upon groups like SPEAR which Hickman created. Hopefully there will be more of all three groups in the near future. Post-Secret Wars I kind of would like to see Spence and Ewing take over the Avengers. They both seem to know how to make the characters fun, grow, and come up with decent plots that aren't too small or large.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest The Magnificent 7

Can one of you comic experts settle something for me?  My kids constantly argue about which superhero would whoop another superhero. 

My oldest says Deadpool could kill Hulk, because Hulk can't kill Deadpool.  He says no one can kill Deadpool.  (I don't get how logically one follows from the other, but this is 8 year old logic we're talking about).  He says even if Hulk threw Deadpool into outer space it wouldn't kill him.

My youngest says Hulk would kill Deadpool.  He doesn't really argue anything, but gets that Hulk is the strongest of all, and he ain't having anything different. 

I've weighed in and said that Hulk can kill Deadpool because he could smash him into paste and you aren't surviving that, regenerative healing or not.  But even if he couldn't kill Deadpool, he'd just whoop his ass whenenver Deadpool wanted to get down so what does it matter.  Hulk would hand that dude his dinner every single time. 

Whatever is needed for the story. :)

I saw Stan Lee getting asked that question once about Hulk and the Thing or Hulk and Thor.

His answer was "Well, it depends, if it happens in an issue of Thor or an issue of Hulk".

Probably the best possibe answer to that question.

• Like 2

New issue of New Avengers is kind of Hickman's most frustrating tendencies encapsulated:

a flashback and travelogue as to what Hank Pym has been up to during the time jump, told in a way that makes it feel like we've missed out on the most interesting part of TRO to focus on the 'all the Avengers groups splinter over how to deal with the Incursions' story in excruciating slowness.

I kind of get why Hickman wanted to save all this information for one infodump at the most dramatic moment, but I'm so fucking tired of Team Rogers chasing Team Richards all over the place while Team Namor kills people and Team Sunspot sees the big picture but doesn't do much about it and Team Hyperion (and Dr. Strange) just vanish to presumably reappear at the most important moment like Hank did.

Dude can do some really interesting stuff when he puts his mind to it, but so much of the time it feels like we're getting the music-video before the blowoff match, stretched to a year's worth of comics, instead of the actual story.

Fair point (response waited til I had something else to say).

Just finished the original The Right story (X-Factor v1 #18-23). Man, the X-Factor 'gimmick' where they dress up as mutant busters to get leads on new outbreaks, then dress up as the 'terrorist'/'freedom-fighter' mutants the X-Terminators, is terrible. Since Simonson took over in the first half year and immediately started showing how they were doing more harm than good and the concept was inherently toxic, I've always wondered if this was Bob Layton's plan had he stayed on the book or if it's a situation where Louise Simonson took over, said "This idea is terrible, what can I do to fix it?" and turned Hodge into a villain.  Nonetheless, this is a really good culmination of that first 18 months' build. Too bad so much of that build (basically everything not tied directly into the Mutant Massacre) is unavailable digitally, so you basically read #1, skip to the MM, miss out on the aftermath with Caliban joining the team, Warren's suicide attempt, etc. and jump straight into a story where the kids are secondary protagonists and everything's going to hell because Hodge has been trying to start a goddamn race war without the people who pay him noticing.  Still, the Simonsons working together produce some fucking great comics and I would happily drop sixty bucks for a Louise Simonson X-Fac omnibus taking us at least through Judgement War, preferably all the way to the end of her line.

Is there a specific point at which Pyro becomes an Australian? In his first appearance (Days of Future Past) he's clearly intended to be English. He's wearing a Union Jack shirt, and Blob calls him 'limey'--either of these would be incidental, but together they make it clear that Claremont intended him to be a Briton. By the mid-80s, he's clearly from Down Unda. 

Inhumans: Genesis. The writing was generally solid and the Nuhumans were interesting enough. I like Soule's Medusa. She isn't the ruthless leader she was during Realm of Kings, but she shows a similar intelligence and cunning. The set up with the various groups and different agendas potentially at play was another positive. they mentioned this being their Game of Thrones and I can kind of see it from that perspective. I'm not quite hooked yet though it has more than a little of my interest.

Magneto: Infamous. This was an interesting direction for Magneto and an interesting look into his head. It was also bloodier and maybe a little darker than I was expecting since I hadn't read much about it. Magneto does feel a bit disconnected though from the character that was in Bendis' Uncanny. It especially seems odd to me now that he and Scot have been at odds. Still good read overall.

Thor & Loki: The Tenth Realm. They do well setting up Heven's modus operandi and the nature of their feud with the Asgardians. They also do well building off the first from agent of Asgard. I was expecting a bit more from Angela since this was about her history, but she doesn't really do much. This basically felt like more of an intro/beginning for her character which I suppose was the point. Considering the things introduced here it would be a shame if Aaron doesn't revisit Heven is his current run. With the way the Angel of Heven are they feel like an interesting opponent for Asgard and could easily be built into something big story wise in Thor or even the cosmic side of Marvel in general. Anyways solid another solid read.

Today's New Avengers has the reveal of Rabum Alal, the "great destroyer" the Black Swans serve, who is allegedly the cause of the incursion crisis.

It's Doom.

That simultaneously makes very little sense to me in terms of the timeline, and is the only person it could be if it was going to be a pre-existing character using a false name, due to where we know this story is going. I really don't know what to say about it.

EDITED: the spoiler tag now covers my thoughts of the reveal as well as the actual information, just to be safe and keep people from figuring out on their own from my comments that Alal has been Steve Rogers all along.

(Just kidding, totally not Rogers)