DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Comics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

Daredevil had some of the best tie-ins with crossovers in the 80's: Mutant Massacre, Fall Of The Mutants, and Inferno particularly.

I was always partial to Acts Of Vengeance myself, particularly the Captain America issue where Magneto confronts the Red Skull.

Are any of the Marvel animated shows of the past few years worth catching up on? I know there was Super Hero Squad, Ultimate Spider-Man, at least one Avengers show (I think maybe two), Wolverine & the X-Men, and now Hulk and Agents of SMASH. Any of them come close to the X-Man Animated Series of the early 90's?

Are any of the Marvel animated shows of the past few years worth catching up on? I know there was Super Hero Squad, Ultimate Spider-Man, at least one Avengers show (I think maybe two), Wolverine & the X-Men, and now Hulk and Agents of SMASH. Any of them come close to the X-Man Animated Series of the early 90's?

Why are you asking that here instead of the action cartoons thread (ie DC and Marvel animated series and movies)?

W&tX is probably better than the 90s series though you may dislike the changes they made and it is a bit short lived at one season. Spectacular Spider-man is generally beloved. Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes has a fantastic first season. The second season remains quite good for the first half and falls in quality afterword due to Loeb and Man of Action taking control.

Ultimate Spider-man is generally hated though I think its ok, just not for adults. Avengers Assemble is the other Avengers series you're thinking of. Its perfectly fine though nothing special. Hulk: Agents of SMASH plays a similar not to serious style like AA and USM. That said its a bit easier to enjoy since Paul Dini is the one writing.

Why are you asking that here instead of the action cartoons thread (ie DC and Marvel animated series and movies)?

W&tX is probably better than the 90s series though you may dislike the changes they made and it is a bit short lived at one season. Spectacular Spider-man is generally beloved. Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes has a fantastic first season. The second season remains quite good for the first half and falls in quality afterword due to Loeb and Man of Action taking control.

Ultimate Spider-man is generally hated though I think its ok, just not for adults. Avengers Assemble is the other Avengers series you're thinking of. Its perfectly fine though nothing special. Hulk: Agents of SMASH plays a similar not to serious style like AA and USM. That said its a bit easier to enjoy since Paul Dini is the one writing.

Watched little Wolverine and the X-Men unlike X-Men from the 1990's so  it would be unfair of me to compare them. Agree with you on Spectacular Spider-Man, I easily rate it as the best adaptation of the original material either on film or TV. i also agree with you about Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes. Don't like Ultimate Spider-Man at all. Haven't seen Avengers Assemble or Hulk: Agents of SMASH.

Watched little Wolverine and the X-Men unlike X-Men from the 1990's so  it would be unfair of me to compare them. Agree with you on Spectacular Spider-Man, I easily rate it as the best adaptation of the original material either on film or TV. i also agree with you about Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes. Don't like Ultimate Spider-Man at all. Haven't seen Avengers Assemble or Hulk: Agents of SMASH.

Bummer. Spectacular Spider-Man is not available on Netflix Streaming. But Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes and Wolverine & the X-Men are. I'll get on them soon.

Daredevil had some of the best tie-ins with crossovers in the 80's: Mutant Massacre, Fall Of The Mutants, and Inferno particularly.

I was always partial to Acts Of Vengeance myself, particularly the Captain America issue where Magneto confronts the Red Skull.

I felt Daredevil's crossover issue in Mutant Massacre felt out of place though.

I've heard about the basic premise of Acts of Vengeance but never anything more like the actual quality of the story. Magneto confronting Red Skull makes it seem worth checking out alone.

Been catching up with comics released from the past two weeks. Dug Uncanny X-men #11. The latest sentinel looks cool, and I liked how the fight against it played out. The Apocalypse Twins story in Uncanny Avengers #11 continues to be pretty damn good with some interesting directions being taken. Its impressive the scale Remender manages to write on with it despite the series being so self-contained. UA and Thor make me hope the rumors of next year's big event being spearheaded by Remender and Aaron are true. Speaking of Thor, I loved Thor #12. It was nice and calming after such a massive story in Gorr/Godbomb. What I really loved though was how Aaron painted Thor's relationship with humanity. It was great seeing him talk and connect with so many people from different ways of life. Not sure about the direction he went with Jane Foster though I did like how it generally played out. Wolverine and the X-men #35 saw the end of the Hellfire Saga. I thought it was a good conclusion and great climax to much of what Aaron had been building over the past 30+ issues. Not entirely sure about where he is planning to take though the epilogue building to Amazing X-men was cool.

I can't separate the rest of those X-Factor uniforms from Hank's disgusting brown & yellow monstrosity.  I think it's odd that his is the only one that reminds me of a military outfit to boot.  Probably just the color scheme.

X-Factor had the best segment of FotM by a mile. Moved the Apocalypse story ahead and fleshed him out a bit, introduced Archangel and my favorite version of the X-Fac uniform.

Their Mutant Massacre crossover issues were the better ones as well.

X-Factor had the best segment of FotM by a mile. Moved the Apocalypse story ahead and fleshed him out a bit, introduced Archangel and my favorite version of the X-Fac uniform.

Their Mutant Massacre crossover issues were the better ones as well.

I thought the same as well far as Mutant Massacre is concerned,

Were the X-Factor issues the ones were Katie Power of Power Pack touched Mjolnir and then immediately vaporized Blockbuster with an energy sphere?

Bald Bombshell:  I just started listening to Welcome to Night Vale that is quite the mind trip. 

I prefer the X-Men issues of Massacre and Fall Of the Mutants. I still like the X-Factor stuff though. I think the Adversary story is one of the best X-Men stories ever. I read Inferno in an Essential volume and loved it. Thought it did a great job making the best of the Madelyn Pryor situation.