DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Comics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

I can't find it right now but the idea is that a bunch of the groups would come together. (Mindscan was Saturn Girl; Rancor was Timber Wolf..

ok found it:

Thanks for posting this. That was interesting background info and the directions Valentino was planning to take the series were interesting.

http://comicsbeat.com/marvel-month-to-month-sales-august-2014-a-tale-of-two-spider/

59. MILES MORALES ULT SPIDER-MAN
08/04 Ult. Spider-Man v1 #64 – 94,684
08/09 Ult. Spider-Man v2 #1 – 85,917
08/12 Ult. Spider-Man v3 #12 - 42,642
---
08/13 Ult. Spider-Man v3 #26 - 32,932 ( -1.0%)
09/13 Ult. Spider-Man v3 #27 - 32,200 ( -2.2%)
10/13 Ult. Spider-Man v3 #28 - 31,462 ( -2.3%)
11/13 Cataclysm USM #1 of 3 - 36,541 (+16.1%)
12/13 Cataclysm USM #2 of 3 - 30,293 (-17.1%)
01/14 Cataclysm USM #3 of 3 - 27,650 ( -8.7%)
02/14 ---
03/14 ---
04/14 Ult. Spider-Man #200 - 41,608 ( 50.5%)
05/14 M.M. Ult Spider-Man #1 - 45,864 ( 10.2%)
06/14 M.M. Ult Spider-Man #2 - 38,231 (-16.6%)
07/14 M.M. Ult Spider-Man #3 - 37,240 ( -2.6%)
08/14 M.M. Ult Spider-Man #4 - 34,836 ( -6.5%)
---
1 year ( 5.8%)
2 year ( -18.0%)
5 year ( -59.5%)
10 year ( -63.2%)

Oof.  That...that is not good at all.

Cap relaunches in November with a new #1 and a different hero wielding the shield and should see a nice boost to sales.

Steve Rogers has gotten so fucked up over the last year, with Steve spending years in an alternate universe, Sharon getting stuffed in a fridge, his adoptive son getting killed, etc. that he really needs to be given a "break."

Let Jim Wilson take over for two years until Cap 3 comes out in theaters, then bring Steve (and Sharon, obviously) back with all the stench of the last six months washed off of him.

-------

Magneto, Cyclops, She-Hulk, Black Widow, Captain Marvel, All New Ghost Rider, Superior Foes of Spider-Man, X-Force, Mighty Avengers, Fantastic Four pretty much everything else is doing horribly.  

Who, exactly, thought it would be a fucking good idea to give Cyclops, Magneto, and Storm their own solo titles right now given all the sales problems Marvel is having?

Oh, and fuck you Dan Slott for wiping out over 20 years of character development for Felicia Hardy.

All the work that David Michelinie, J.M. DeMatteis, Tom DeFalco, and others did from 1991 onwards in taking the ditzy Catwoman rip-off and making her a well-rounded character in her own right, flushed away so you can make her the new Female Kingpin.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=55975

Peter David gets a tad bitter about the latest cancellation of All New X-Force:

"No, [the comic is being canceled] because not enough people are buying it," he wrote. "Which is exactly the reason they cancelled 'Gambit' as well, so it’ll probably be a long time before he gets to star in another book.

"All I did was write a book that got tons of positive write-ups," he continued. "Which I guess is enough to encourage people to buy it when it comes out in trades, oblivious to the fact that books get cancelled when you do that."

Just because something is "critically acclaimed" doesn't mean that us mouth breathers in Middle America are going to buy it, Peter.  

I will never understand how so many people fail to realize that just because something gets acclaim from critics, doesn't mean that it's going to be successful with the masses.

"Oh my god, how is New Girl doing so poorly in the ratings?  It gets such good reviews in the AV Club."

oblivious to the fact that books get cancelled when you do that."

Or maybe it was less people "waiting for the trade" and more "people don't care about Polaris, Quicksilver, Cypher, and Warlock enough to buy a book starring them."

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=55975

Peter David gets a tad bitter about the latest cancellation of All New X-Force:

"No, [the comic is being canceled] because not enough people are buying it," he wrote. "Which is exactly the reason they cancelled 'Gambit' as well, so it’ll probably be a long time before he gets to star in another book.

"All I did was write a book that got tons of positive write-ups," he continued. "Which I guess is enough to encourage people to buy it when it comes out in trades, oblivious to the fact that books get cancelled when you do that."

Just because something is "critically acclaimed" doesn't mean that us mouth breathers in Middle America are going to buy it, Peter.  

I will never understand how so many people fail to realize that just because something gets acclaim from critics, doesn't mean that it's going to be successful with the masses.

"Oh my god, how is New Girl doing so poorly in the ratings?  It gets such good reviews in the AV Club."

oblivious to the fact that books get cancelled when you do that."

Or maybe it was less people "waiting for the trade" and more "people don't care about Polaris, Quicksilver, Cypher, and Warlock enough to buy a book starring them."

i saw that and my first thought was "when did Peter David start writing X-Factor"? because hasn't he been on some version of that title for YEARS?

and, upon looking it up, the answer is "yes". the Madrox solo miniseries was in 2004, and AFAIK, David's been on the book ever since.

tough to complain about a 10 year run at one of the major companies, i would think.

So, hey, it looks like Fantastic Four is getting canceled early next year after all.

Brevoort's response to that was posting the covers of the last "cancellation" before the relaunch the following month. I'm pretty certain that'll happen again. This perlman stuff be damned. 

i saw that and my first thought was "when did Peter David start writing X-Factor"? because hasn't he been on some version of that title for YEARS?

and, upon looking it up, the answer is "yes". the Madrox solo miniseries was in 2004, and AFAIK, David's been on the book ever since.

tough to complain about a 10 year run at one of the major companies, i would think.

Actually, David's original run on X-Factor was in the early 90's.  He was the first writer on v1 of the title after they revamped the premise and dropped the original X-Men from the book (and added Madrox/Wolfsbane/Strong Man/etc).  IIRC, he was on the book for two years beginning around 1993.  Larry Stroman (Alien Legion) handled the art.

• Like 1

So, hey, it looks like Fantastic Four is getting canceled early next year after all.

Considering Reed's story in Hickman's Avengers and Robinson's own story in the F4 book this isn't too surprising. I also wouldn't be shocked though if the next volume starts right after Hickman's big Avengers story finishes next year.