DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Comics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

Personally, Angela feels a little bit special just because she's more or less the first character that Marvel has purchased like this and so fully integrated into their universe. It's not like DC where it was done a bunch before I even started to read comics. Yeah, sure, Godzilla or Rom has been there before, but Marvel never actually owned them, not like this. 

And it does feel sort of important now, with the whole Thor's sister thing, even if it hadn't really before. Gillen will do an amazing job with her, and the Gamora/Angela friendship is shaping up well.

Did they integrate the Ultraverse? Or just do the cross-over?

I have to say that I pretty apathetic about Marvel taking over the Star Wars books, but they announced that Waid, Aaron, and Gillen are writing the first three titles and I am now intrigued.  Aaron and Waid are writing my two favorite ongoing Marvel series right now, and Gillen's recent work has been pretty damn good too. 

I just straight couldn't afford $5 an issue and decided to wait for collections. You can say "it's worth it" from an artistic perspective, but it wasn't worth dropping two other books to make room for it when I'm already buying about half what I was a year ago.

It will prob be better collected anyway.

I wonder if the big prob is that all the revolutionary stuff in the book is now common place (except the child birth scene).

The kid miracleman fight used to be the high/low water mark for excessive comic book violence. Now, as common as can be in most DC or Marvel books or Inbincible.

It will prob be better collected anyway.

I wonder if the big prob is that all the revolutionary stuff in the book is now common place (except the child birth scene).

The kid miracleman fight used to be the high/low water mark for excessive comic book violence. Now, as common as can be in most DC or Marvel books or Inbincible.

this really nails it. it was revolutionary for its time, but the whole "deconstruction of superheroes" has been done ad nauseum since. i can definitely see why Marvel pursued this, as i'm sure it will sell very well in trade. and it's great to have such a seminal work available. and they get Gaiman to finish his story. and (like i said) the re-coloring is amazing. but storywise, it's just not groundbreaking anymore, and anybody just now latching onto it has to think "whats the big deal?"

and yeah, in Siege, the Sentry literally ripped Ares in half. graphically in a two page spread. Kid MiracleMan doesn't really stand up against that.

• Like 1

The other problem is that Alan Moore, like Miracleman itself, is a product of the time.  Moore has mostly hung around the fringes of the industry the past 20 years, so you have to be fairly old to remember when Moore was a huge deal.  I would guess the Gaiman issues might sell better. 

I thought Miracleman was outstanding back in the day.  Now, it seems kinda quaint.  It's a good story on it's own, but it hasn't aged as welI as, say, Watchman or Swamp Thing.  I'm glad Marvel is reprinting it.  The recoloring is worth the price of admission, so to speak, and I'm looking forward to seeing Gaiman finish the story.  But I can easily see why it doesn't resonate with new readers.   Honestly, I'd be surprised to learn Marvel really had high expectations for the reprints.

SHIELD by Steranko. Pretty much a lot of stories about the badassness of Nick Fury, but enjoyable. The writing is a bit dated, but still ages much better than I would have thought. I wasn't too into the Yellow Claw stories, but I enjoyed the stuff with Strucker and Scorpio. That said, I did enjoy the ending of the Yellow Claw story. It was such a troll in a way, but still fun. This also marks the first time I actually read something by Stan Lee which was nice. The transition from Lee to Thomas to Steranko was pretty seamless. Decent read all in all.

Nick Fury vs. SHIELD. Absolutely loved this. I loved the art. I loved the characterizations of the various people involved. I loved the plot, its mystery, and where it all led. The ending had some real weight as with the decimation of Marvel's two biggest criminal agencies and SHEILD's destruction. I think half of the main SHIELD agents ended biting when all was said and done. Really great stuff. I'm somewhat surprised I haven't heard more about Harras as a writer because he really delivered here.

Nick Fury: Agent of SHIELD Vol 1 (#1-11). The first arc with the aliens wasn't as favorite, but it wasn't terrible per say. I did enjoy the next arc with SHIELD starting up again on a smaller scale. What I really dug here though was the characters. I thought the relationship change between the Contessa, Fury, McKenzie, and Neville was an interesting one though I admit it felt weird to see Fury with someone so young. I loved Pierce. You can see the events of Nick Fury vs. SHIELD have brought such massive changes to him with having clearly studied up a good and having just a bit blood lust. I like the way he and Fury play off of each other. Actually the cast in general plays off each other well making for plenty of fun conversations. McKenzie's constant wonder of how he got involved with this weird shit is good fun. Madame's Hydra's institute scenes revealing her love/obsession for Pierce was great. And Network Nina made for a pretty fun addition with her slightly off personality. In way this was a bit of disappointment after such a strong strong like Nick Fury vs. SHIELD, but I still found it pretty fun to read for the characters.

Iron Man: Iron Metropolitan. Not the best follow up to The Secret Origins of Tony Stark, but not a bad one per say either. The story is mostly focused on the Mandarin's rings seemingly gaining sentience and trying their damnedest to destroy the world while completely screwing over Tony. The plot is decent enough, and I am interested in the Malekith story hinted to at the end. That said,I would have preferred seeing a more exploration into Tony and Arno's relationship, but what was there was decent enough. I fucking loathed Red Peril, but I generally enjoyed the continued pushing of the idea of that Tony has become "the man". You can really see the set up for the upcoming Superior Iron Man run with what Gillen has been building. Decent read.

Might Avengers: No Single Hero. Have to be honest I was kind of put off of this last year as it very much felt like a forced show of diversity despite having a fairly interesting cast. Having actually read it finally, I'm disappointed it took me so long to check out. The team actually comes together in a pretty natural manner, and there is some really good team dynamic all around. It has a good blend of action & humor, and manages to have a nice, fun atmosphere that makes it stand out well from the other Avengers books. Pretty good read overall and something I wish I had the money to pick up more regularly.

Superior Spider-man: Goblin Nation. Thought this was a pretty good culmination to the Superior story with everything coming to a head and everything Otto built up crumbling a fast pace before him. I particularly dug the callback to nearly to save a child being what convinced Otto finally that his way just wasn't quite the right way and Pete was needed back. The stuff with Liz and Norman building up Alchemax for Normie was a nice touch and something that should be interesting when explored further in the future. My only real disappointment probably came from the epilogue where you can see Slott do his damnedest to get rid of MJ. He tries to be as respectful as possible with it, but its still didn't leave her looking all that great due to her strength of will  in the past. Outside of that and my forever disappointment of Phil being evil this was enjoyable and a good conclusion to Superior Spider-man.

After hearing Remander talk about that "inversion" nonsense, I think I'll be skipping Axis. Honestly, I hope the Uncanny/All-New X-Men teams won't be affected even if Remander is getting his grubby hands on Cyclops.

Captain America: Loose Nuke. Pretty much Steve going through PTSD over what happened in Dimension Z while Nuke is running around gunning people down in a Marvel Vietnam equivalent country over America not losing the war. The character stuff was pretty solid, and the plot was decent enough. Iron Nail doesn't quite grab me yet, but I'm interested in seeing where Remender goes with it. This was a solid read and good follow up to Dimension Z overall.

Avengers World: A.I.M.PIRE. The Avengers split up trying to deal with crazy shit happening in Italy, Barbuda (AIM Island), & Madripoor all at once. I liked this. The threats are big, but the atmosphere it too serious and tries to keep things fun. It also builds well off of things left behind by Hickman and does a decent job with the characterizations of all involved. It was a nice read. its somewhat more what I was hoping for from Hickman to be honest though I am enjoying his work on the main books.

I never really took to the Eternals, since it felt likeJack trying to redo the Fourth World again.

The Gaiman mini is okay, but it helps to know the chsracters already.

A good inhumans story is the wedding of crystal and pietro in ff 149-150.

Also, a few early issues of Byrne's Thing book, with the Lockjaw reveal.