DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Comics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

My list probably has Deadline and Adventures of Captain America and maybe Dr. Strange: The Oath, and Wolverine: Manifest Destiny, and The Burnt Offering in Cable/Deadpool ... actually, a better list to make would be the most important stories to your life.

AT that point things like Thor 437-450 (the start of the Eric Masterson as Thor stuff) and Avengers: The Crossing would be way too high. Operation: Galactic Storm. 

Speaking of which any opinions on Atlantis Rising? I noticed the trade at my library and wondered if its worth checking out.

I had a nostalgic response extolling the virtues of "Atlantis Attacks" (even that goofy "What If" issue with Set gobbling heroes whole) before rereading the question.  "Atlantis Rising"...that's a bit different.  It was the epitome of mid-'90's Marvel, which is to say not as bad as, say, Avengers or X-Force or the Spider-Clone stuff but not as good as...whatever Marvel was doing well at that point.  It was pleasantly generic.

It's amazing how good late-'90's Marvel was comparatively, post-Reborn.  I miss Busiek.

Oh, and the Lee-Kirby FF stuff has been at least partially-covered in two omnibuses that cover the first (I think) sixty issues.

As for the list...eh, I liked half of it, I guess. Secret Wars was okay, but it was a shallow popcorn movie equivalent in 1984, much less now.  Civil War was...Civil War.  Age of Apocalypse was roughly when I stopped particularly caring about the X-men franchise; it wasn't bad, but it just didn't hook me.  "Days of Future Past" is painfully overrated, but I understand its placement given the movie.

If I had my way...well, Marvel would lose a lot of money on this given my choices, but I would toss on:

Defenders # 47-50 ("Who Remembers Scorpio?"...it had a deeply philosophical bent regarding aging out of relevance, great early Giffen art, Moon Knight and the Hulk on a picnic...one of my favorite continued stories.)

Marvel Team-Up # 119 (possibly the first comic to make me tear up as it dealt in a mature way [well, it was a comic co-starring Gargoyle and Spider-Man...] with how losing someone can affect you but also how important it is to die with simple dignity...actually all of Dematteis' Marvel Team-Up issues are very underrated, but I'll stick to one.)

Wolverine LS # 1-4 (it covers the need for Wolverine, for something that's inspired a movie, and for something that was an excellent story.)

Fantastic Four # 25-26 (The biggest Marvel crossover done to that point with the FF & the Avengers against the Hulk...this was how to do a popcorn movie story.)

Avengers, Vol. 2 # 1-3 (Busiek and Perez handle the ramifications of the Heroes Return quickly & efficiently while handling a cast of dozens and - more to the point - making sure each character has his/her own voice & look without pissing away prior continuity.  It was the antithesis of the three or four years prior.)

Conspiracy # 1-2 (I have no idea if this was an "Elsewords"-type tale or if it was meant to be in continuity or what, but the dark, secretive handling of the origins of the Marvel Universe through government conspiracies was truly great.)

Nextwave: Agents of Hate (Really?  Anyone has to ask?  Hell, I'd have this included for the "Mark Millar licks goats" Not-a-Civil-War-crossover cover alone, but it was a truly mean-spirited funny series and I still throw around the "...fleshy pink god?" comment to this day.)

Avengers Vol. 1 #227-230 (I know that all that 80% of the writers remember Hank Pym for is that he hit the Wasp once, but this was how you redeem a hero and, more importantly, a man in a comic book setting.  Having him at his lowest only to come back, beat the Masters of Evil singlehandedly and triumph over everything was exhilirating as hell.)

Silver Surfer # 1-10 (Englehart & Rogers concocted the best example of widescreen cosmic that Marvel had ever done prior to Annihilation.  Galactus vs. the Elders of the Universe, random Celestial appearances, Eternity, the first appearance of Mantis since she left to be the Celestial Madonna [barring that odd Justice League of America issue...] another potential Kree-Skrull War...just great stuff.)

Some Sternako Nick Fury story (...eh, pick one from Strange Tales or his own book.  I like the Yellow Claw reappearance, but they're all of pretty much equal quality and I assume most would pick the Scorpio issue.)

Hulk # 377 (The best handling of the Hulk that I've seen in a story that does a great job of summing up what has made the Hulk the Hulk for so long.  I would also accept the first full appearance of Rocket Racoon from Hulk # 271...)

Amazing Spider-Man # 31-33 (The aforementioned Master Planner saga.  Great classic stuff)

Howard the Duck # 22-23 (Steve Gerber works through some apparent issues with "Star Wars" :) and reunites the Howard with the cast of Man-Thing for a fun homage.)

Lord knows there's more stuff to add, but...this would work for me with a few of the already-voted stories.

Edit:

Oh, and the "Welcome Back, Frank" storyline from Ennis & Dillon's 2000 Punisher LS. 

Finished reading the last few issues of Superior Spider-Man.  Damn it was good until Peter came back.

Read Amazing #1. 

Yup, I still can't stand this post OMD Peter Parker or anything about him.  Back to not reading Spidey I go.

Finished reading the last few issues of Superior Spider-Man.  Damn it was good until Peter came back.

Read Amazing #1. 

Yup, I still can't stand this post OMD Peter Parker or anything about him.  Back to not reading Spidey I go.

So far I've read The Superior Spider-Man #1-16 and the finale which I felt was rushed. That's the majority view. A review of The Superior Spider-Man run:

http://www.gatspod.com/reviews/2014/5/9/gatspod-reviews-the-superior-spider-man

I quite liked The Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 3) #1.

Same here.  I have zero interest in more Peter Parker/Spider Man stories.

Also, my general opinion is that Slott's run on Superior > his run on Amazing.

Since Dan Slott's been sole writer on The Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 1) starting with Big Time/The Superior Spider-Man/The Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 3), I liked a couple of The Amazing Spider-Man books more than The Superior Spider-Man. Those are: Big Time, Matters of Life and Death, Spider-Island and Dying Wish. I liked The Superior Spider-Man more than most Amazing Spider-Man books. Those are: My Own Worst Enemy, No Escape and A Troubled Mind.

I've almost finished a big post on The Superior Spider-Man and I hope you'll all like it.

The Amazing Spider-Man #1.1: Learning to Crawl is an expanded look at Peter Parker as Spider-Man’s early days straight after his Uncle Ben is killed. I really like comic book origin tales, comic book origin films and the short story tease for this in The Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 3) #1. For those reasons, this written by long time sole writer on The Amazing Spider-Man and The Superior Spider-Man, Dan Slott appealed to me as did the art by Ramon Perez, an updated version of Spider-Man’s first stories. I’ll be buying the next issue at least.

So despite my initial rage at the premise and the first issue, Avengers Arena won me over pretty hard by the end of it (to the point that I got sick of waiting for issues to go on Unlimited and bought the last 5-6 months). And I really liked Undercover #1. But since then, it's slid for me some, and the new one is no exception. Everything just kind of feels off to me, and I REALLY don't like the way Hopeless is using Helmut Zemo. I know that Brubaker already robbed him of much of his Tbolts-era character development and moral ambiguity, but when he's wearing a Nazi armband with a Z instead of a swastika, that's just sad. It's a sign that he's no longer a bad person doing good things or even a guy behaving amorally for his own benefit or amusement. When you get up there in front of the Not-Nazi Flag, you become a cartoonish BAD GUY and everything you tell the people around you about an opportunity to act for their own benefit instead of facing conscription in the name of the "greater good" rings hollow. Maybe it's supposed to, but I'd much rather see the Zemo who tried to save Captain Marvel's life and then had to hunt him down and kill him because he fucked up the rescue, or even the Zemo who just doesn't give a fuck.

I’ve finally got round yesterday to reading the Free Comic Day 2014 books I got on the day of the event, the 3rd of May. This was the first time I’ve taken part as a comic book shop opened recently about fifteen minutes from where I live. My review of the DC comic I chose is in the relevant thread. Spoilers follow…

I wanted Guardians of the Galaxy because of the soon to be released film and I knew there was a preview of Spider-Verse in it. The title story sees Tony Stark interviewing Flash Thompson for a spot on the Guardians of the Galaxy team. The only thing I know about Guardians of the Galaxy is through following the news about the aforementioned film. This acted as a further introduction to the team and was a very good story. I’ve liked Agent Venom in all the stories I’ve read (The Amazing Spider-Man #654, 654.1, The Amazing Spider-Man: Spider Island, Minimum Carnage and now this one). The story is to be continued in Guardians of the Galaxy. There was a teaser of Thanos: The Infinity Revelation, it was good. The preview of Spider-Verse didn’t disappoint and since it was announced, it might be the Spider-Man related event I’m most interested in this year.

He seemed legit baffled that Mighty Avengers is my favorite thing he's ever done and called it "a huge pain in the butt to work on", but he was very nice and friendly. When I explained it was one of my favorite Pym stories of all time, he brightened noticeably and said that the Hank arc was by far his favorite thing about it. (which is funny, because to my mind it was always a Hank book with Herc/Cho/Pietro et al. as a supporting cast more than an 'Avengers book.' Which may be why I like it more than he does, in retrospect.)

The Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 3) #2 starts where the last issue went off as Anna Maria Marconi talks with Peter Parker and Parker continues to contend with the fallout left in the wake of Otto Octavius’s tenure as the Superior Spider-Man. I really liked this issue, the interactions between Parker and Marconi was the main highlight. The Electro part of the story so far is familiar.