DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Comics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

If you like the

Hydra infiltration plot point

of Captain America : The Winter Soldier and Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D then I would suggest reading Jonathan Hickman's Secret Warriors as well.

I enjoyed Secret Warriors a lot..   Liked but didn't love the SHIELD mini.  Really didn't care for the Shield/Hydra stuff in Winter Soldier.

I would say whatever is in the big Cap Omnibus, whatever that covers.

Cap #49, 50, 600, 601, Reborn + some non-Brubaker stuff.  Reborn seems to be a good point to head for and reevaluate if i want to finish the run.  Hoping Reborn reads better than it sounds cause the way they brought Rogers back sounds absurd even by comic book death standards.

If you like the

of Captain America : The Winter Soldier and Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D then I would suggest reading Jonathan Hickman's Secret Warriors as well.

I really enjoyed Secret Warriors. That said it ended up being fairly rushed by the end.

And if you want to be supremely confused even if you re-read it a bunch of times. His SHIELD series is also nuts.

I'm not certain his SHIELD is truly good at all in terms of telling an actual story. That said I loved the art and concepts.

If you like the

I enjoyed Secret Warriors a lot..   Liked but didn't love the SHIELD mini.  Really didn't care for the Shield/Hydra stuff in Winter Soldier.

I would say whatever is in the big Cap Omnibus, whatever that covers.

Cap #49, 50, 600, 601, Reborn + some non-Brubaker stuff.  Reborn seems to be a good point to head for and reevaluate if i want to finish the run.  Hoping Reborn reads better than it sounds cause the way they brought Rogers back sounds absurd even by comic book death standards.

I recall Reborn reading well despite the absurdness..

The last two trades I've read of Brubaker's Captain America run were "No Escape" and "Two America" and I thought those two were a huge step down in quality.

So the best jumping off point would probably be "The Man with no Face".

If you like Brubaker, stick to his creator-owned work.

After hearing recommendations for it pretty much everywhere I go to talk comics, I decided to pick up the trade for Superior Foes of Spiderman.  I want to believe in The Shocker!!

I made this exact same decision about 3 days ago, and I have to say I'm digging it.  I like the trend of seeing the personal lives of some of these characters like this, Hawkeye, or the new Ms. Marvel.  So many comics are based purely on big action scenes and fighting villains, I think seeing smaller, more personal stories are a cool change of pace.  I think a Hawkeye movie based on his solo series could be great, especially with Renner as the star.  He is a really good actor who I think would be perfect for a movie more about Clint Barton than Hawkeye. 

Superior Spider-Man Team-Up: Friendly Fire collects Superior Spider-Man Annual #1, Avenging Spider-Man #20-22 and Daredevil #22. I’ve previously reviewed Avenging Spider-Man #20-22 by Christopher Yost on the board. All come recommended so I’ll go onto Superior Spider-Man Annual #1 and Daredevil #22. Superior Spider-Man Annual #1 written by Christos Gage sees SpOck go after half demon Blackout who has kidnapped Aunt May. It was a very good issue. Daredevil #21 has Spider-Man come into conflict with Daredevil. This was also a very good issue. Taking everything collected in this book, I’d recommend it to people.

After hearing recommendations for it pretty much everywhere I go to talk comics, I decided to pick up the trade for Superior Foes of Spiderman. I want to believe in The Shocker!!

I made this exact same decision about 3 days ago, and I have to say I'm digging it. I like the trend of seeing the personal lives of some of these characters like this, Hawkeye, or the new Ms. Marvel. So many comics are based purely on big action scenes and fighting villains, I think seeing smaller, more personal stories are a cool change of pace. I think a Hawkeye movie based on his solo series could be great, especially with Renner as the star. He is a really good actor who I think would be perfect for a movie more about Clint Barton than Hawkeye.

The new Hawkeye series fits right alongside street level stories like Daredevil, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, Jessica Jones..... See where I'm going with this?

Have Renner show up in the Defenders mini-series then have a Hawkeye series in their 2nd round of Netflix shows. Let's be honest, Avengers 2 is probably Hawkeye's swan song for films, but he'd be perfect for this.

Holy shit, that page is so awesome it makes me wanna read the entire run of Superior Spider-Man (I've read none).

Question that I'm gonna put in spoiler tags:

Is the Green Goblin Norman Osborn currently? If he is, that seals the deal, I gotta read all this stuff.

• Like 2

Ms. Marvel #2

Still fun. I'm not into her powers, but they make sense considering what the story is really about. This weird fog/smoke.... is that something going on in other comics? The writing has a great personality and the back-up characters are still cool, so I'll stick with it. this issue did feel like a victim of the hazards of pacing comics out for trades. Sometimes people can fit a small bit of time into one issue and it works, other times you go "This issue was literally about her walking home from the party. That's what happened." It's a tough line to walk, but this one was bailed out by the characters.

Silver Surfer #1

I'm really feeling the look and feel of this. It seems a little Dr. Who-y for Slott to create this lady character to get sucked up into Surfer's galactic adventures, but I'm not hating it. I'm a real stickler for dialogue that sounds like the character and not just a bunch of jokey Spider-Mans, which a lot of writers have a problem with, and since Slott actually writes Spidey I was extra scared. However I liked how he wrote Surfer with the exception of two lines that were just kind of used for the humor of American colloquialism, both of which I felt could have been funnier if written in the speech pattern he'd established for Surfer. It's kind of like when King Booker would just break into Booker T stuff. But I'm totally digging this so far regardless.

I'm about to hit up the first two issues of Ghost Rider and Captain Marvel. Ghost Rider scares me, because I was a huge fan of the Midnight Sons era, and this looks...not like that.

The weird fog/smoke is the Terrigen Mists that brings out the powers in the Inhumans. The Inhumans's city, Attilan was blown up during Infinity last year with the mists spreading throughout the world, transforming anyone who had Inhuman DNA in them.

Holy shit, that page is so awesome it makes me wanna read the entire run of Superior Spider-Man (I've read none).

Question that I'm gonna put in spoiler tags:

Is the Green Goblin Norman Osborn currently? If he is, that seals the deal, I gotta read all this stuff.

If you want to read Otto Octavius as the Superior Spider-Man having swapped minds/bodies with Peter Parker and has access to Peter’s memories to a point…I’d recommend:

The Superior Spider-Man #1-6, #10-13, #15-16

Avenging Spider-Man #15.1-17, #19-22

If you want the best of the best:

The Superior Spider-Man #1, #4-5

Avenging Spider-Man #15.1-17

Yes! and No, maybe.

That page really is great.  Rest of the issue, not so much

I love that page. Shame to find the series ends on a poor note.

The big problem was that there wasn't enough payoff. Peter returning was so inevitable that it felt like a throwaway given, past a page or two. The story was going to hinge on the Goblin reveal, and that ended up really unsatisfying. 

I'm about 1.5 to 2 years behind with my comic book reading, so I just started reading the first trade of the new Age of the Apocalypse series they put out a few years ago.

What the hell were they thinking, when they put out that series?

The original Age of Apocalypse event is one of the major reasons I am a comic book fan today and I was so excited, when I saw they put out a new ongoing series set in that universe.

This series has barely anything to do with the Age of Apocalypse that I know and love. I don't think they could have disappointed me more, if they tried.