DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Comics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

CBR's headline for the April 2014 Marvel solicitations was "DnA Return to GotG".

What is it they are writing? A back-up story in the regular book and some kind of tie-in book to the movie.

Thanks for getting my hopes up, CBR!

They actually don't write together anymore, so no one's sure if these were inventory stories or just the last thing they did do.

DnA don't work together anymore?  What's the story behind that?

Who did the art for the X-Men/Groot cover above?

I’ve seen a book called Essential Web of Spider-Man (Vol. 2) in the library before but never taken a close look at it. It was only doing a search on the web I found out the book collects a story I’ve never read but wanted to the past two years, Kraven’s Last Hunt for the great reception it gets. I reserved the book so I could read it and see what I made of it.

Kraven’s Last Hunt takes place over Web of Spider-Man #31, The Amazing Spider-Man #293, Peter Parker, The Spectacular Spider-Man #131, Web of Spider-Man #32, The Amazing Spider-Man #294 and Peter Parker, The Spectacular Spider-Man #132. The story sees Kraven the Hunter taking out Spider-Man and becomes Spider-Man as Vermin is loose upon New York City. The story is told from the insights of Peter Parker/Spider-Man, Kraven the Hunter, Vermin and Mary Jane. This story is dark and psychological with themes of fear and rivalry. Essential Web of Spider-Man (Vol. 2) reprints everything in black and white and it fits the tone of Kraven’s Last Hunt, one of the best ever Spider-Man stories.

DeMatteis is probably my favorite Spider Man writer.  His run is undermined some by some really silly crossovers and edjtorially-mandated developments, but his run as a whole is extremely underrated, imo.

Did the volume you read reprint "Soul of the Hunter" too?  Soul of the Hunter was a semi-sequel by DeMatteis & Zeck published as a graphic novel about five years after Last Hunt.  Not really essential, but cool if you dig DeMatteis' philosophy/mystical stuff

Basically, Spider Man tries to help Kraven's ghost find peace and pass into the afterlife

Marvel's publishing a "Kraven's Last Hunt" novel later this year (written by DeMatteis).

What the fuck is going on with Thor's arms in that picture is my question. Also, why doesn't Thor have knuckles? Christ that artwork is terrible. It looks like one of those letter art submissions to EGM.

DeMatteis is probably my favorite Spider Man writer.  His run is undermined some by some really silly crossovers and edjtorially-mandated developments, but his run as a whole is extremely underrated, imo.

Did the volume you read reprint "Soul of the Hunter" too?  Soul of the Hunter was a semi-sequel by DeMatteis & Zeck published as a graphic novel about five years after Last Hunt.  Not really essential, but cool if you dig DeMatteis' philosophy/mystical stuff

Basically, Spider Man tries to help Kraven's ghost find peace and pass into the afterlife

Marvel's publishing a "Kraven's Last Hunt" novel later this year (written by DeMatteis).

I haven't but I'll see if the library has it. Thanks for the recommendation.

There's something about the Hammond Torch on the cover of INVADERS #1 that just creeps me out.  The story was OK, but kinda contravenes the past couple decades of the Torch's history.  Of course it was only the first issue, so maybe they'll go into it more later.

ETA:Maybe it's that he looks like a skull?  (spoilered for size)

All-New-Invaders-1-Cover-fd090.jpg

There's something about the Hammond Torch on the cover of INVADERS #1 that just creeps me out.  The story was OK, but kinda contravenes the past couple decades of the Torch's history.  Of course it was only the first issue, so maybe they'll go into it more later.

ETA:Maybe it's that he looks like a skull?

Did you mean "skrull?"

Wasn't too interested in the book before I read that interview, but now I'm going to pick it up.  Robinson used to be one of my favorites, but I've probably disliked more of his output post-Starman than I've enjoyed. 

In the interview, he complains about being pigeon-holed as the "golden age guy".  Fair enough, but most of the work that made him popular was set in the "golden age" or relied extensively on older characters and continuity.

Avengers 25 has probably convinced me to drop the book. Nothing to do with the AN AVENGER DIES! bit, and everything to do with the fact that I just don't give a shit about anything happening. I'll probably read it when MCU gets to this point in a year or so, but it isn't worth my four bucks over X-Factor or indie stuff.

Avengers 25 has probably convinced me to drop the book. Nothing to do with the AN AVENGER DIES! bit, and everything to do with the fact that I just don't give a shit about anything happening. I'll probably read it when MCU gets to this point in a year or so, but it isn't worth my four bucks over X-Factor or indie stuff.

This is exactly how I feel about this Avengers run, I wanted to care so much, but I just couldn't.  Infinity was the last straw for me, it was just so unfocused and over written.  It just so much plot with so little character progression.

Sam's one of my top five favorite Marvel characters and honestly? He's been all over the map in the last 30 years. He grows, he regresses, etc, etc. He generally takes a step back anytime he's on a larger profile book and then two steps forward whenever he's in a lower profile book. The only one that really beat that trend was Mike Carey on X-Men. 

A lot of people think the heart of the character is the gawky, lanky, awkwardness so they play that up and maybe they're right to. 

After his awesome FF run, Hickman's Avengers run has been really disappointing. With Young Avengers ending, Mighty Avengers is probably the best Avengers book right now.

I would say that, superior foes or DD. Right behind, hawkeye and superior spidey.

I'm actually enjoying Hickman's Avengers run. More for the ideas and concepts though. I think Hickman's biggest problem is strong characterization. Right now it mostly feels like he writing around the characters opposed to truly making them a part of the story. Too many feel like they could easily be replaced with anyone. Its kind of strange seeing how good his New Avengers is in the area.