DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Comics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

I'd have to disagree with mercy killing the Ultimate Universe.  I think they are doing exactly what they should be doing with it.  If I had to make a choice between Miles Morales, Doc Ock, and Peter Parker, Peter Parker would be the first to go.  I think the Ultimate Universe should be different than the regular Marvel Universe.  The Ultimates shouldn't just be The Avengers in different outfits.  I like that they are making them a younger, more diverse team.  I hope that they write it in the style of Spider-Man where they focus on the characters personal lives as much as they do fighting the villains.  All of these characters with the exception of Miles Morales and Kitty Pride have pretty vague back stories and hopefully they can expand the characters and make it a more character driven book instead of another Avengers clone where they are always fighting some villain hell bent on destroying the world.    

Superior wasnt a new direction. It was telling a story where we always knew the ending.

I mean, on one hand, superior was a long running version of kravens last hunt, except peter wasnt actually dead.

I have been plesantly surprised by the storyline.

This doesn't surprise me at all, it's just that the storyline possibilities going forward for Superior Spider-Man would be new ground, while bringing Peter back seems like we will be getting more of the same.  With that said, Spider-Man, along with The X-Men, are where I started my comic fandom and hopefully they do something to refresh the character.  They kind of have to do something, because Doc Ock just seems so much better at being Spider-Man than Peter ever did.

But isn't the point of Spider-Man that he is someone just getting by in all facets of his life yet still keeping his moral compass?

If Doc Ock is a better Spider-Man by being a bit more ruthless it defeats the point of the character's purpose

James

• Like 1

But isn't the point of Spider-Man that he is someone just getting by in all facets of his life yet still keeping his moral compass?

If Doc Ock is a better Spider-Man by being a bit more ruthless it defeats the point of the character's purpose

James

I agree with this, but I was just talking about the crime fighting part.  Doc Ock is better at being a superhero than Peter Parker, but it is because he'll take measures Peter won't take.  Peter trying to keep his moral compass is what makes him interesting, Doc Ock trying to find a moral compass is what makes him interesting.  I'm more interested in the latter right now, because it is bringing in fresh, new ideas of what Spider-Man can be as a superhero.  Peter at this point kind of is who he is, and his version of Spider-Man has basically been the same since the beginning, Doc Ock's version is much more fluid.  Hopefully it leads to Peter having more interesting internal conflicts than he has had in the last few years, as he tries to keep up with Doc Ock's effectiveness while not using his ruthless nature.

• Like 1

It was inevitable... Peter Parker is Spider-Man. Steve Rogers is Captain America and Bruce Wayne is Batman. These characters are icons now, there's no reason to waste energy about new directions.

I liked the replacements of all three. Peter Parker controlled by Doctor Octopus as Spider-Man, Bucky Barnes as Captain America and the best of all, Dick Grayson as Batman. Man, Dick Grayson as Batman written particularly by Grant Morrison and then Scott Snyder was awesome.

James

I agree with this, but I was just talking about the crime fighting part.  Doc Ock is better at being a superhero than Peter Parker, but it is because he'll take measures Peter won't take.  Peter trying to keep his moral compass is what makes him interesting, Doc Ock trying to find a moral compass is what makes him interesting.  I'm more interested in the latter right now, because it is bringing in fresh, new ideas of what Spider-Man can be as a superhero.  Peter at this point kind of is who he is, and his version of Spider-Man has basically been the same since the beginning, Doc Ock's version is much more fluid.  Hopefully it leads to Peter having more interesting internal conflicts than he has had in the last few years, as he tries to keep up with Doc Ock's effectiveness while not using his ruthless nature.

Both well said. The idea that somebody can control someone by entering them and what they do as is how others who know that person pre-switch react is what we get in The Superior Spider-Man and its interesting seeing that because Peter Parker and Otto Octavius are so different.

Comic Book Resources looks at the Superior Spider-Man era which contains spoilers if you haven't read the issues:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=50251

#5 would probably be my #1. #10 would be higher on my list.

They want all your money.

SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN #31
Dan Slott (W) • Giuseppe Camuncoli (A/C)
Connecting Variants A & B by J. Scott Campbell
Variant cover by Kevin Maguire       
Captain America Variant Also Available

• SERIES FINALE! The end of an era! A tale of triumph and tragedy! The GREEN GOBLIN unmasked! A hero reborn! But what does this mean for OTTO OCTAVIUS?!

• There’s only one man who can save us from the Goblin Nation… PETER PARKER: The one, true SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN!

64 PGS./Rated T …5.99

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #1
Dan Slott (W) • Humberto Ramos (A/C)
Variant Cover by Marcos Martin
Variant cover by Ed McGuinness
Variant cover by Pop Mhan
Variant cover by JEROME OPEñA
75TH ANNIVERSARY VARIANT COVER BY ALEX ROSS
75TH ANNIVERSARY SKETCH VARIANT COVER BY ALEX ROSS
Young variant cover by Skottie Young
Blank Cover variant ALSO AVAILABLE

The Greatest Super Hero of All Time RETURNS!

The world may have changed since Spidey’s been gone, but so has Peter Parker. This is a man with a second chance at life, and he’s not wasting a moment of it. Same Parker Luck, new Parker attitude. Putting the “friendly” back in the neighborhood, the “hero” back into “super hero,” and the “amazing” back into “Spider-Man!” Also returning: The recharged and reenergized ELECTRO!
64 PGS./Rated T+ …$5.99

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #1

The Greatest Super Hero of All Time RETURNS!

The world may have changed since Spidey’s been gone, but so has Peter Parker. This is a man with a second chance at life, and he’s not wasting a moment of it. Same Parker Luck, new Parker attitude. Putting the “friendly” back in the neighborhood, the “hero” back into “super hero,” and the “amazing” back into “Spider-Man!” Also returning: The recharged and reenergized ELECTRO!

64 PGS./Rated T+ …$5.99

Yeah, that spoiler does nothing to make me want to buy Amazing.   It's been fairly obvious all along that Superior Spider Man would be undone by the time the movie came out, but Peter Parker's never interested me as a character.  And most of the interesting takes on him have already been done.  I guess down-on-his-luck, happy-go-lucky Peter Parker has historically sold a lot of comics, but I'd far more interested in seeing how much more mileage Slott could get out of Octavius.

I'm not a huge Slott fan, and think his run on Amazing is a touch overrated, but Superior Spider Man won me over.  Sorry to see it go.

• Like 1

Check out Alex Ross's variant cover for The Amazing Spider-Man #1:

rossamazing1previews.jpg?1389713648

I love Alex Ross, he's one of my favorite artists and biggest influences but his style looks so weird and out of place on Marvel characters. I think his DC work is absolutely gorgeous but with Marvel it just seems...off.

I'm no expert on human anatomy, but Wolverine seems a bit off in this panel. When did he eat Bane?

nx1k4x.jpg

Bane?  That torso reminds me more of Bouncing Boy from the LSH with PED arms.  Guessing his mortal enemy is now someone who can untie his shoes, forcing him to try to try to bend over,.

There's so much wrong with that picture.

Check out Alex Ross's variant cover for The Amazing Spider-Man #1:rossamazing1previews.jpg?1389713648

I love Alex Ross, he's one of my favorite artists and biggest influences but his style looks so weird and out of place on Marvel characters. I think his DC work is absolutely gorgeous but with Marvel it just seems...off.

Funny, since his breakout to mainstream comics was MARVELS