DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Comics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

5 minutes ago, J.H. said:

It's fuckin terrible! Seriously, Marvel may be worse than DC at trying to fix what ain't broke

James

It’ll be there for 25 issues, generate merch money, maybe become a look for a villain or a legacy hero, and then they move on to the next thought experiment. Honestly, because it’s only been a couple of years since the last tech suit, I wonder if this isn’t a feint for something else.

• Like 2

I did my own little tribute to MF DOOM by reading some classic Doom stories while listening to his music.

Emperor Doom offers up an interesting premise -- what if Doom took over the world and actually made it a better place? Doom solves the world's problems in short order, leaving the heroes with the moral quandary of whether it's right to have a utopia with no free will. Doom, for his part, grows bored with no one to challenge his authority. A decent Avengers yarn, but it wraps up too neatly, especially for the graphic novel format. I could understand it if it was in the monthly books, but I expected more from a prestige format book. 

Next up were the Wally Wood Doom stories. These were like a whirlwind. I had no idea what was going on half the time. Things just randomly happened. But the wackiness fit with the samples that MF DOOM liked to use from the Fantastic Four cartoon, and the art was great, as you'd expect. 

Lastly, the Doom arc from Fantastic Four #196-200. MF DOOM actually used a panel from #199 for one of his album covers, which is cool. The main event here is the double-sized anniversary issue with an epic showdown between Doom and Richards. It's a tremendous heavyweight fight. Richards had his powers juiced earlier in the storyline, and Doom snaps during their fight and nearly chokes Richards to death. The ending was brutal. You could easily read this as a standalone issue and skip all of the build up. I thought it was terrific. The art wasn't very dynamic, but the story lived up to its billing and was befitting of the occasion.