DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Comics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

On 11/25/2020 at 9:34 AM, The Natural said:

https://www.cbr.com/tag/top-100-comic-book-runs/

Comic Book Resources Top 100 Comic Book Runs. It's done every four years as readers send a 10-1 ballot ranking their favourite runs. I voted, think I did in 2016 as well.

On 12/6/2020 at 11:49 AM, The Natural said:

#28-25 has been revealed. With that, I'll post my ballot here as it's more active than the DC Omnibus thread...

Reveal hidden contents

1. Grant Morrison, Batman.

2. Stan Lee and Steve Ditko, Spider-Man.

3. Nick Spencer and Steve Lieber, The Superior Foes of Spider-Man.

4. Tom King, Vision.

5. Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo, Batman.

6. Brian Michael Bendis, Ultimate Spider-Man.

7. Ed Brubaker, Captain America.

8. Jason Aaron, Thor.

9. Scott Snyder, American Vampire.

10. Gerry Duggan/Brian Posehn, Deadpool.

#1 won't surprise you. I love Grant Morrison's Batman run, read it three to four times in its entirety. Batman and Robin is the high point with the role reversal, a happy go lucky Dick Grayson/Batman with to go with a brooding, violent Damian Wayne/Robin. Through it we get a new Big Bad in Dr Simon Hurt, Batman 666 and Batman of Zur-En-Arrh.

If I'd read more of Frank Miller's Daredevil sooner, I'd have voted for it in my top three. With hindsight, Ed Brubaker/Greg Rucka's Gotham Central should be among the ten. Also with hindsight, bump Scott Snyder's American Vampire up. Messed up.

Thoughts on my ballot? What did and didn't make the cut?

Top ten has started.

• Like 1

The Search for Tony Stark. The Invincible Iron Man (2016) #593-600 written by Brian Michael Bendis and drawn by Stefano Caselli/Alex Maleev. Additional artists on #500 include Mark Bagley, Mike Deodato Jr, David Marquez and Andrea Sorrentino. As the title says, there’s a search for the missing Tony Stark who was in an unresponsive state from the dire Civil War II event. Victor Von Doom continues to be the Infamous Iron Man. This was a real disappointment of a story prolonging Tony Stark’s return, as a conclusion to Doom as Iron Man getting job out, the Father of Tony Stark angle and BMB’s final, final Marvel Comics story. I did like Riri Williams/Iron Heart, Mary Jane Watson and BMB’s farewell piece made up of his favourite photos in over 18 years at Marvel Comics.

7 hours ago, The Natural said:

Top ten has started.

Spoiler

8. Morrison Batman – 903 points (24 first place votes)

Batman #655-658, 663-683, 700-702, Batman and Robin #1-16, Batman: The Return of Bruce Wayne #1-6, Batman Inc. (Vol. 1) #1-8, Batman Incorporated #1-12 plus a few one-shots mixed in there, like Leviathan, Batman: The Return and Batman Incorporated #0

I'm one of 24 first place votes. The only choice. I LOVE Grant Morrison's Batman run, read it three to four times in its entirety. Batman and Robin is the best thing from it with the role reversal, a happy go lucky Dick Grayson/Batman to go with a brooding, violent Damian Wayne/Robin. Through the run we get the aforementioned Son of Batman in Damian Wayne, a new Big Bad: Doctor Simon Hurt, Batman 666, Batman of Zur-En-Arrh and Batman, Incorporated vs the new terrorist organization called Leviathan. There's also the truly creepy Professor Pyg as well. In the company of @Brian Fowler, @twiztor and @The Unholy Dragon.

• Like 1

Couple of thoughts from my Marvel readings (Currently up to 1975 while re-reading some of the Masterworks)

• Re-reading the early Fantastic Four runs and it's weird seeing Thing try to make a play for Sue until Alicia was introduced. 
  • Adventure into Fear (Morbius) started off strong but really started running out of steam towards the end. I still have the final issue to read but I'm kind of checked out with this series.
  • Red Sonja's origin was much darker than I thought it would be for a Marvel title. That being said, I can't wait to read her solo run.
  • Just finished the Gwen Stacy/Jackal story in Amazing Spider-Man and I kinda wish Clone Gwen had stayed but I am all in on Peter and MJ starting something. Jackal should have probably stayed dead after this though.
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, twiztor said:

#8 seems way too low for that run. i would easily have it in my top 5. could be higher, depending on what does/doesn't count.

Agreed, friend. Be interested to see your top ten.

My original ballot:

Spoiler

1. Grant Morrison, Batman.

3. Nick Spencer and Steve Lieber, The Superior Foes of Spider-Man.

4. Tom King, Vision.

5. Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo, Batman.

6. Brian Michael Bendis, Ultimate Spider-Man.

7. Ed Brubaker, Captain America.

8. Jason Aaron, Thor.

9. Scott Snyder, American Vampire.

10. Gerry Duggan/Brian Posehn, Deadpool.

My updated ballot:

Spoiler

1. Grant Morrison, Batman.

3. Frank Miller, Daredevil.

4. Nick Spencer and Steve Lieber, The Superior Foes of Spider-Man.

5. Vision. Tom King.

6. Scott Snyder, American Vampire.

7. Jason Aaron, Thor.

8. Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo, Batman.

9. Brian Michael Bendis, Ultimate Spider-Man.

10. Ed Brubaker and Greg Rucka, Gotham Central.

Shame I had to bump Ed Brubaker's Captain America off my list.

5 hours ago, The Natural said:

Agreed, friend. Be interested to see your top ten.

i'll give it a shot. The way i read comics tends to focus more on either (A) short events/miniseries/crossovers or (B) just a boatload of comics in a row, with litle/no break in between, so unless something drastically stands out from the runs around it (ex: Morrison's Batman), then it's hard to pick out specific "runs".  

10. Jonathan Hickman's X-Men

9. Jim Steranko's Nick Fury, Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D.

8. Ed Brubaker's Captain America

7. Stan Sakai's Usagi Yojimbo

6. Marv Wolfman/George Perez' New Teen Titans

5. Chris Claremont/John Byrne's Uncanny X-Men

4. Kurt Busiek's Astro City

3. Grant Morrison's Batman

2. Jim Starlin's Thanos ("Infinity Gauntlet" and its surrounding minis and crossovers)

1. Alan Moore's Miracleman

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, J.H. said:

I'd be genuinely shocked if Claremont's X-Men run doesn't finish top 3

James

Steranko's S.H.I.E.L.D. was incredible, I guess you had to be there. When you have a strip more impressive than Steve Ditko's Dr. Strange in the same book, you're doing something very, very right. Oh, to be twelve years old and reading Steranko's S.H.I.E.L.D. for the first time again. You have to remember that spy stuff was all the rage in the mid-sixties, so Marvel dragged their WWII character Sgt. Fury into the present as a super-spy. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Think it might have shown up already. Sorry if true.

Not only did it show up in the middle of the list, but...

Spoiler

It also took number one. So I'm a little confused. I guess they considered it two runs because... reasons?

This stood out in the March 2021 solicitations for Spider-Man:

Spoiler

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #61

NICK SPENCER (W) • PATRICK GLEASON (A/C)
Variant by JULIAN TOTINO TEDESCO
TWO-TONE VARIANT COVER BY MICHAEL CHO
• Peter Parker gets a new job!
• Spidey gets a new look!
• And Kingpin’s plans start coming together!
32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

Always had an interest in superhero costumes. Be interesting to see this one. Spider-Man's had some great costumes right from his first appearance:

OIP.btZS4Nbwksh_xDRVL9G1tgHaLC?pid=Api&d

latest?cb=20171230034704

bd1fff88ea53832e9d6a57f29aef47d6.jpg

sensational0d.jpg?w=500

OIP._JWasMw9lbI2NKKsC6mmxgHaLY?pid=Api&d

OIP.DEEOb3essY4mSBE5jYT2BQHaLg?pid=Api&d

On 12/23/2020 at 11:35 AM, OSJ said:

Steranko's S.H.I.E.L.D. was incredible, I guess you had to be there. When you have a strip more impressive than Steve Ditko's Dr. Strange in the same book, you're doing something very, very right. Oh, to be twelve years old and reading Steranko's S.H.I.E.L.D. for the first time again. You have to remember that spy stuff was all the rage in the mid-sixties, so Marvel dragged their WWII character Sgt. Fury into the present as a super-spy. 

I don't remember seeing Steranko's SHIELD. I haven't read it myself, but based on its reputation that's surprising. But possibly I just missed it.

Not SHIELD, but in reading Essential Captain America #1 when it first came out around 2000 (So I was 18-19 or so), it was jawdropping to go from the Kirby issues to Steranko. Just mindblowing stuff even decades removed. I can only imagine what it was like for people following along at the time.

I'm slowly trudging my way through 70s Marvel -- trying to finish Man Thing and Son of Satan. I recently began reading Omega the Unknown. I'm not a huge fan of Steve Gerber, to be perfectly honest (except for his Defenders run), but if you like his take on superhero comic books then Omega is perhaps the best encapsulation of it. I recently added Conan the Barbarian to the 70s slate. I love Savage Sword of Conan, but I had never checked out the main title. So far, it's enjoyable. Barry Smith tries a bit too hard to be Kirby at times, but I usually enjoy Roy Thomas comic books. Sticking with 70s Marvel, I watched an interview with Byrne today, so suddenly I want to check out his 70s work, which was before my time.

I started reading Squadron Supreme today. I can understand the Watchmen comparisons, but man, how many word bubbles can a guy read before his eyes dry out? I also started reading Chris Claremont and Frank Miller's Wolverine. So 80s. Ninjas! Japan! Yakuza! Plus I've been reading J.M. DeMatteis and Mike Zeck's Captain America, which has been a bit boring, but Zeck's art is nice. Captain America seems like a difficult character to write, to be fair, like Superman or Wonder Woman.

Edited by ohtani's jacket

21 hours ago, ohtani's jacket said:

I'm slowly trudging my way through 70s Marvel -- trying to finish Man Thing and Son of Satan. I recently began reading Omega Man. I'm not a huge fan of Steve Gerber, to be perfectly honest (except for his Defenders run), but if you like his take on superhero comic books then Omega Man is perhaps the best encapsulation of it. I recently added Conan the Barbarian to the 70s slate. I love Savage Sword of Conan, but I had never checked out the main title. So far, it's enjoyable. Barry Smith tries a bit too hard to be Kirby at times, but I usually enjoy Roy Thomas comic books. Sticking with 70s Marvel, I watched an interview with Byrne today, so suddenly I want to check out his 70s work, which was before my time.

I started reading Squadron Supreme today. I can understand the Watchmen comparisons, but man, how many word bubbles can a guy read before his eyes dry out? I also started reading Chris Claremont and Frank Miller's Wolverine. So 80s. Ninjas! Japan! Yakuza! Plus I've been reading J.M. DeMatteis and Mike Zeck's Captain America, which has been a bit boring, but Zeck's art is nice. Captain America seems like a difficult character to write, to be fair, like Superman or Wonder Woman.

JM DeMatteis is one of my favourite Spider-Man writers. I agree that Captain America, Superman and Wonder Woman are hard to write particularly the first two characters.

Out of the big three superheroes: Batman, Superman and Spider-Man, the only one Grant Morrison hasn't written is Spider-Man. It's not going to happen but I'd like it to. I LOVE Grant Morrison's Batman run and his Superman stories specifically All Star Superman are my favourite Superman stories. I like Supes more than I did thanks to Superman (1978), Superman II (1980) with Christopher Reeves brilliant performance, hell Superman III (1983) is worthwhile as Clark Kent fights evil Superman and Superman from the DC Animated Universe.