DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Comics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

Thank you for the answers to my question about the best and worst Marvel events. I've read Civil War (2006-2007), Secret Wras (2015), Civil War II (2016) and the War of the Realms (2019).Add The Amazing Spider-Man: Spider-Island (2011), The Amazing Spider-Man: Ends of the Earth (2012), The Amazing Spider-Man: Spider-Verse (2014), Spider-Geddon (2018) and The Amazing Spider-Man: Hunted (2019) if they count as events. I think they do. You?

On 11/25/2020 at 5:45 AM, The Natural said:

I'll post my reviews of the 24 first time Daredevil reads in order of release date and when I'm on my PC. We start with...

The Origin of Daredevil, Daredevil (Vol. 1) #1 (April 1964) written by Stan Lee and illustrated by Bill Everett. It’s something reading this for the first time having read and watched retellings of the origin in Frank Miller’s Daredevil stories and the fantastic Daredevil Season 1 on Netflix which is not only the best thing from the Marvel Cinematic Universe, it’s the best live-action Marvel ever closely followed by Daredevil Season 3. This is one of the best superhero origins. A young Matt Murdock saves someone from getting by a truck which spills illegal chemicals into Matt Murdock’s eyes blinding him. In doing so, it heightens all his remaining sense and can sense what’s around him. Matt Murdock promised his Dad he wouldn’t fight so gets around it by saying he’ll no longer be that when he wears his costumed alter ego. Did raise eyebrows at outdated points of view by Karen Page: “What a pity such a wonderful, handsome man is so handicapped!” Jesus.

In Mortal Combat with the Sub-Mariner, Daredevil (Vol. 1) #7 (April 1965) written by Stan Lee and drawn by Wally Wood. The Sub-Mariner, Prince of Atlantis demands he and his people return to the surface. Namor is told by Nelson and Murdock that court would throw the case out. Daredevil fights the Sub-Mariner over him attacking people/property damage to get what he wants. This was a terrific issue for a number of reasons: the Sub-Mariner initially playing by the rules of the surface, Murdock represents Namor at trial, an overmatched Daredevil fighting Namor in doing so earns the latter’s respect and DD’s signature red costume appears for the first time. No wonder it’s still the Daredevil costume to this day. I also liked Matt Murdock’s thought balloons reacting to what happens. Such a great story I wasn’t about to read. Glad I did!

Blind Alley/Expose, Daredevil (Vol. 1) #163-164 (March 1980 and May 1980) written by Roger McKenzie and Frank Miller’s the artist. In the first issue Matt Murdock/Daredevil tries to help Bruce Banner/The Incredible Hulk as both. It’s good. I liked the issue’s opener with cameo appearances by J Jonah Jameson and Tony Stark. It’s all about the second issue’s quality as Ben Ulrich confronts Daredevil that he’s Matt Murdock. We get a great retelling of Daredevil’s origin to Ben Ulrich and we wonder what he will do with that knowledge.

On 11/27/2020 at 5:50 PM, The Natural said:

From my tablet this time round:

Elektra, Daredevil (Vol. 1) #168 (January 1981). Frank Miller is the writer and artist. Matt Murdock/Daredevil comes across an old flame radically changed, Elektra. Elektra is now a bounty hunter. Both are after the same man. A great issue for notable reasons: Elektra’s first appearance, the flashbacks to Matt Murdock/Elektra Natchios past love and how Daredevils torn between his love for her and stopping her. This was also the start of Frank Miller’s famous run on Daredevil as writer/artist. Hell of a beginning.  

Devils, Daredevil (Vol. 1) #169 (March 1981). Frank Miller is the writer and penciller. Bullseye is free and all he sees are people dressed as Daredevil wanting to kill the Daredevil. This was great for the fights between the two. The second is notable in a subway and what Daredevil does pulling the unconscious Bullseye of the tracks. What would you do? Leave him becoming what you fight against by saving him knowing he’ll kill again. That’s what separates us from them, famously Batman’s no kill rule despite wanting to do that to the Joker.

The Kingpin Must Die!/In the Kingpin’s Clutches/Gangwar!, Daredevil (Vol. 1) #170-172 (May-July 1981). Frank Miller is the writer and penciller. This was a brilliant story for Wilson Fisk wanting to give up files on his competition when he was the Kingpin of Crime. Said competition kidnap Vanessa to bring out Wilson Fisk. Wilson Fisk makes them pay. You see Fisk’s intellect, a brutal fight between Daredevil/Bullseye wanting to kill one another and how Wilson voluntarily hands the files to Daredevil who has to accept this time. Fisk manipulates all. I also liked the thought bubbles of Matt Murdock/Daredevil. Of note, the cover for #171; “At last…Monthly!”

The Assassination of Matt Murdock/Gantlet/Hunters, Daredevil (Vol. 1) #174-176 (September-November 1981). Another great story, the Hand is out to kill their target, Matt Murdock. Elektra protects Matthew, good job too as he’s lost his radar sense. Criminals are aware Daredevil’s not quite right for reasons unknown to them. This story introduces the Hand and Stick. Frank Miller’s story and art. There’s a really funny sequence as Elektra, Turk, Daredevil and Matt Murdock’s girlfriend, Heather Glenn go to Wall-Eyed Peter seeking intelligence on Stick’s whereabouts. Also funny, Daredevil taking out Turk with what he says while doing so. Good ending as Elektra ponders what will happen to her and Matt.

Concluding my first time Daredevil by Frank Miller reads:

Where Angels Fear to Tread/Paper Chase/Spiked/The Damned, Daredevil (Vol. 1) #177-180 (December 1981-March 1982). Frank Miller is the writer and penciller. I really enjoyed this story for the Daily Bugle reporting the mayoral candidate, Randolph Cherryn is in the Kingpin’s pocket. Always good to have J Jonah Jameson, Ben Ulrich and the Daily Bugle appear outside of the Spider-Man books. I liked Ben’s narration boxes in #179. We get Daredevil and Elektra going at it physically. Another thing I liked, Daredevil proving Vanessa is alive which means Wilson Fisk asks what Daredevil wants in return.

Last Hand, Daredevil (Vol. 1) #181 (April 1982). Frank Miller is the writer and artist, it’s a double-size issue. Bullseye is out for revenge on Daredevil saving his life and Elektra replacing him as lead assassin to Wilson Fisk/the Kingpin. This issue was terrific narrated by Bullseye getting his inner thoughts throughout, the famous Bullseye vs. Elektra fight sequence particularly the no dialogue pages. Bullseye thinking Matt Murdock is Daredevil as the story progresses. The fight between Daredevil/Bullseye for how Daredevil saved Bullseye’s life before and what he’s done with that, kill again including Elektra here.

Childs Play/Good Guys Wear Red, Daredevil (Vol. 1) #183-184 (June-July 1982). #183 is written by Roger McKenzie/Frank Miller. Frank Miller writes #184 and the artist for both. A drug kills a young girl. her kid brother wants justice. Something seeing real life illegal drugs even in a gritty comic series as Daredevil. Daredevil is after the drug peddlers, so too Frank Castle/the Punisher. This was a good story arc featuring the first meeting between Daredevil and the Punisher clashing over their methods. Frank Castle believes there’s no other way to deal with criminals Daredevil isn’t like him, he murders.

Roulette, Daredevil (Vol. 1) #191 (February 1983). Frank Miller is the writer and penciller. Daredevil pays a visit to Bullseye in hospital. Just as interesting if not more so we learn about a child, Chuckie who idolizes Daredevil. This was a superb issue for both these and Daredevil questions what made Chuckie like he was. The influence of others and how you respond to it. This ended Frank Miller’s first Daredevil run and what a run and issue it is.

Frank Miller’s Daredevil run - The Good.

• One of the best comic book runs of all time. Only comic book run I’d have above it for sure is Grant Morrison’s run on Batman (2006-2013).
  • Best story is Daredevil: Born Again (Daredevil #227-223). After that: The Kingpin Must Die!/In the Kingpin’s Clutches/Gangwar! (Daredevil #170-172), Last Hand (Daredevil #181) and Elektra (Daredevil #168).
  • Quality rarely dips.
  • So influential to the other Daredevil comic book runs and the excellent Daredevil Netflix show. S1 is not only the best thing in the MCU, it’s the best live action Marvel’s ever had just pipping Daredevil S3 to that title.
  • New characters: Elektra, Stick and the Hand.
  • Memorable fights.
  • Great use of narration boxes.

Frank Miller’s Daredevil run - The Bad.

• One or two weak issues.
  • The Elektra strand in Daredevil: The Man Without Fear isn’t as strong as Matt Murdock/ Daredevil vs. Wilson Fisk/The Kingpin.

Frank Miller’s Daredevil run I’ve read as writer and or artist:

Daredevil (Vol. 1) #168-172

Daredevil (Vol. 1) #174-184

Daredevil (Vol. 1) #191

Daredevil (Vol. 1) #226-233

Daredevil: The Man Without Fear #1-5

Total: 29 issues.

I'd say a strike against Miller's run is also there is far less a focus of "Matt Murdock LAWYER" in the initial run in favor of "Daredevil fights Ninjas!", but that is just my take. Daredevil is at its best when there is a balance between Matt asa lawyer using his time as Daredevil to work his case.

James

• Like 2

2 hours ago, J.H. said:

I'd say a strike against Miller's run is also there is far less a focus of "Matt Murdock LAWYER" in the initial run in favor of "Daredevil fights Ninjas!", but that is just my take. Daredevil is at its best when there is a balance between Matt asa lawyer using his time as Daredevil to work his case.

James

That's fair. I was finding it difficult to come up with the bad.

12 hours ago, ohtani's jacket said:

Another potential knock on the run is that he gave up penciling it. It's always disappointing when a writer-artist resorts to doing layouts. Klaus Janson was the next best thing, however, and I was surprised that you skipped those issues. 

Had to break off and get a Mark Waid Daredevil book read from the library as someone reserved it.

On 11/25/2020 at 9:34 AM, The Natural said:

https://www.cbr.com/tag/top-100-comic-book-runs/

Comic Book Resources Top 100 Comic Book Runs. It's done every four years as readers send a 10-1 ballot ranking their favourite runs. I voted, think I did in 2016 as well.

#28-25 has been revealed. With that, I'll post my ballot here as it's more active than the DC Omnibus thread...

Spoiler

1. Grant Morrison, Batman.

2. Stan Lee and Steve Ditko, Spider-Man.

3. Nick Spencer and Steve Lieber, The Superior Foes of Spider-Man.

4. Tom King, Vision.

5. Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo, Batman.

6. Brian Michael Bendis, Ultimate Spider-Man.

7. Ed Brubaker, Captain America.

8. Jason Aaron, Thor.

9. Scott Snyder, American Vampire.

10. Gerry Duggan/Brian Posehn, Deadpool.

#1 won't surprise you. I love Grant Morrison's Batman run, read it three to four times in its entirety. Batman and Robin is the high point with the role reversal, a happy go lucky Dick Grayson/Batman with to go with a brooding, violent Damian Wayne/Robin. Through it we get a new Big Bad in Dr Simon Hurt, Batman 666 and Batman of Zur-En-Arrh.

If I'd read more of Frank Miller's Daredevil sooner, I'd have voted for it in my top three. With hindsight, Ed Brubaker/Greg Rucka's Gotham Central should be among the ten. Also with hindsight, bump Scott Snyder's American Vampire up. Messed up.

Thoughts on my ballot? What did and didn't make the cut?

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

Back to Nick Spencer and The Amazing Spider-Man.

The Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 5) #52 written by Nick Spencer, the artist is Patrick Gleason in Last Remains Part Three. Spider-Man and Kindred finally go at it physically. A really good issue but too short. I normally don’t feel that way. This continues to be a dark ark for what Kindred’s done, so macabre. The issue shows Peter Parker’s selflessness making a deal with Kindred to free the Order of the Web from his control. The last page is gruesome, really is. Next issue feels a big one as I expect Kindred to reveal the explanation as to how he’s turned what he’s into. Kindred has played a big part in Nick Spencer’s TASM run and I think how it’s pulled off determines a good chunk on how Nick Spencer’s run is rated on.

The Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 5) #52.LR written by Nick Spencer and Matthew Rosenberg, the artist is Federico Vicentini in Fallen Order: Part Three. Doctor Strange, Black Cat and the Order of the Web enter the Astral Plane to look for Spider-Man who went on his own there. This was a good issue mostly, I enjoyed the Sorcerer Supreme and Black Cat verbally going at it. We get Mary Jane Watson understandably skeptical that Norman Osborn’s no longer what he used to be. Black Cat tells the OOTW that Spider-Man is in danger only for Silk to say “again?” Silk is such a shitty character.

The Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 5) #53 written by Nick Spencer, the artist is Mark Bagley in Last Remains Part Four. This issue is mostly made from the epilogue of the horrific One More Day, the worst comic this reviewer has ever read. There are subtle changes to it as Peter Parker finds out who Kindred is. I think this issue might have been better served as the reveal of Kindred’s identity to both the readers and Peter Parker. I liked the issue but I have some criticisms that it was another quick read, Kindred through Nick Spencer says “It’s not who I am – It’s what I want.” We’re still waiting on that, there are only two issues left. 

Spoiler

I really didn’t like that Kindred wears a mask.

Recently, I've been reading Jim Starlin's Captain Marvel & Warlock runs. They're good, but I wouldn't really rate them alongside my favorite stuff from the 70s. I can understand the appeal if you like cosmic superhero stories. I liked Starlin's work on Strange Tales best. What really impressed me was the Death of Captain Marvel graphic novel. That was a beautiful piece of work and deeply moving. Definitely up there with Dark Phoenix Saga, Miller's Daredevil, and the other great works of the era.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, ohtani's jacket said:

Recently, I've been reading Jim Starlin's Captain Marvel & Warlock runs. They're good, but I wouldn't really rate them alongside my favorite stuff from the 70s. I can understand the appeal if you like cosmic superhero stories. I liked Starlin's work on Strange Tales best. What really impressed me was the Death of Captain Marvel graphic novel. That was a beautiful piece of work and deeply moving. Definitely up there with Dark Phoenix Saga, Miller's Daredevil, and the other great works of the era.  

Cosmic Marvel does little for me as well. The Death of Captain Marvel graphic novel is so moving and yes, it's up there with the best of Marvel.

Speaking of Cosmic Marvel, I really liked S.W.O.R.D. 1, but man, is it a niche comic. They were clever to use Magneto (of all characters) as the audience's POV character. Putting (young) Cable aside, I'm not sure who the most famous/marketable character in the pretty huge cast even is. Maybe Blink? Armor? There's a great gag where Magneto has no idea who Fabian Cortez is but is overjoyed to see Peeper, who was from his goofiest iteration of the Brotherhood. The weird thing about that was Amelia Voght was in that scene as well and there wasn't really a call out in that direction, but then you kind of didn't need one because they had already used a quick line to deal with that with Frenzy earlier.

On 12/6/2020 at 6:49 AM, The Natural said:

#28-25 has been revealed. With that, I'll post my ballot here as it's more active than the DC Omnibus thread...

Reveal hidden contents

4. Tom King, Vision.

8. Jason Aaron, Thor.

#1 won't surprise you. I love Grant Morrison's Batman run, read it three to four times in its entirety. Batman and Robin is the high point with the role reversal, a happy go lucky Dick Grayson/Batman with to go with a brooding, violent Damian Wayne/Robin. Through it we get a new Big Bad in Dr Simon Hurt, Batman 666 and Batman of Zur-En-Arrh.

If I'd read more of Frank Miller's Daredevil sooner, I'd have voted for it in my top three. With hindsight, Ed Brubaker/Greg Rucka's Gotham Central should be among the ten. Also with hindsight, bump Scott Snyder's American Vampire up. Messed up.

So much good on this list!!  I have a bunch of these I'm looking forward to reading.  The Brubaker Capt America is stuff of legend.  His work on Daredevil is also fun crime noir.  Bendis Daredevil has been fun as well.

May I go out on the limb and mention Garth Ennis work on Punisher and Punisher Max.  Really enjoyed the stories there.  Great mix of action and comedy. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Matt D said:

Speaking of Cosmic Marvel, I really liked S.W.O.R.D. 1, but man, is it a niche comic. They were clever to use Magneto (of all characters) as the audience's POV character. Putting (young) Cable aside, I'm not sure who the most famous/marketable character in the pretty huge cast even is. Maybe Blink? Armor? There's a great gag where Magneto has no idea who Fabian Cortez is but is overjoyed to see Peeper, who was from his goofiest iteration of the Brotherhood. The weird thing about that was Amelia Voght was in that scene as well and there wasn't really a call out in that direction, but then you kind of didn't need one because they had already used a quick line to deal with that with Frenzy earlier.

I wouldn't be surprised if they don't have expectations of the book lasting beyond whatever need Hickman has for it in his run. Haven't read the new SWORD, but the concept while nice was always a bit on the niche side with how Marvel tends to treat cosmic.

On 12/6/2020 at 11:49 AM, The Natural said:

Reveal hidden contents

4. Tom King, Vision.

8. Jason Aaron, Thor.

19 hours ago, paintedbynumbers said:

So much good on this list!!  I have a bunch of these I'm looking forward to reading.  The Brubaker Capt America is stuff of legend.  His work on Daredevil is also fun crime noir.  Bendis Daredevil has been fun as well.

May I go out on the limb and mention Garth Ennis work on Punisher and Punisher Max.  Really enjoyed the stories there.  Great mix of action and comedy. 

Cheers, @paintedbynumbers. Glad you like the ballot and cheers for suggesting Garth Ennis on Punisher. Only Punisher stories I've read were his first appearance in The Amazing Spider-Man #129 and when he guest started in other books I'd read. I've read a lot of Iron Man, Captain America, Daredevil, Thor and Deadpool. I need to plug the gaps when it comes to X-Men, Fantastic Four, the Punisher, the Incredible Hulk and Black Panther.

• Like 1

To me, Batman is the best comic book hero of all time. He's always been my #1. I've never once changed my mind. With the exception of Batman/the Bat family/his rogues gallery, to a lesser extent Superman/Wonder Woman, I much prefer Marvel to Detective Comics when it comes to superheroes and villains. Too many to mention so I'll name my favourites: Spider-Man (he's my second favourite superhero behind The Dark Knight), Captain America, Daredevil, Thor, Iron Man, Wolverine, Doctor Doom, Green Goblin (Norman Osborn), Doctor Octopus, the Kingpin, Spider-Gwen, Deadpool, Loki and Black Widow.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Natural said:

Cheers, @paintedbynumbers. Glad you like the ballot and cheers for suggesting Garth Ennis on Punisher. Only Punisher stories I've read were his first appearance in The Amazing Spider-Man #129 and when he guest started in other books I'd read. I've read a lot of Iron Man, Captain America, Daredevil, Thor and Deadpool. I need to plug the gaps when it comes to X-Men, Fantastic Four, the Punisher, the Incredible Hulk and Black Panther.

We are very much alike in this regard.  I had only played the Punisher video games and read him in Spiderman and Daredevil.  I frequent Ebay and look for Omnibus books often.  I found 3 Punisher Omnibus books for $150 or so and jumped on it. I started the first one and couldn't put it down.  Some of the humor I'd compare to Deadpool but I really enjoyed the books.    I also never really got into X-Men, Fantastic Four, Hulk, or Black Panther.    Silver Surfer is another one I wanted to get into more but never did.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, paintedbynumbers said:

We are very much alike in this regard.  I had only played the Punisher video games and read him in Spiderman and Daredevil.  I frequent Ebay and look for Omnibus books often.  I found 3 Punisher Omnibus books for $150 or so and jumped on it. I started the first one and couldn't put it down.  Some of the humor I'd compare to Deadpool but I really enjoyed the books.    I also never really got into X-Men, Fantastic Four, Hulk, or Black Panther.    Silver Surfer is another one I wanted to get into more but never did.

We are that, matey. Cheers.