DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Comics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

16 hours ago, D.Z said:

X-Men legends will fill in the blanks and retcon stuff.

this is the one that interests me the most.

DOFP is one of my top 5 X-stories. seeing it regularly get rewritten or changed is a damn shame.

Edited by twiztor
formatting
  • Like 2

So Fantastic Four #26 by Dan Slott hasn't gone down well at all:

Spoiler

EndY-hDW4AAxZUK?format=jpg&name=large

I only know the basics when it comes to Fantastic Four (the titular Fantastic Four, Doctor Doom, Valerie and Franklin) so this will hit bigger with Fantastic Four fans. Does feel OOC that Professor Xavier who promotes tolerance between humans and mutants living together not practicing what he preaches here.

Edited by The Natural

Is there a reliable website for book release dates? As an example, I've had the Vol. 3 of Ms. Marvel by Saladin Ahmed in my Amazon cart for about two months now or something, and the release date was always 2020, but now it's April 2021 (and other websites confirm that, but still). Not Marvel related, but the same thing happened with the Life Is Strange boxset, and now I'm weary that the 24th isn't actually the release date for the first volume of the Horizon Zero Dawn comics.

I'm trying to get all the books with Ms. Marvel in them (my G. Willow Smith collection is almost complete). I still have stuff like Champions and whatnot to get ahold of, too.

11 hours ago, The Natural said:

I only know the basics when it comes to Fantastic Four (the titular Fantastic Four, Doctor Doom, Valerie and Franklin) so this will hit bigger with Fantastic Four fans. Does feel OOC that Professor Xavier who promotes tolerance between humans and mutants living together not practicing what he preaches here.

Not really.   The ongoing plotline in the current X books is that mutants have set up a sovereign nation on Krakoa, a sentient living island.  Basically, to reside on the island - or even set foot on Krakoa - you have to be a mutant.  So, the scene from FF is pretty much in keeping with what's been established in the X books the past couple years. 

As to your larger point about Professor Xavier giving up his dream of mutants living in harmony with humans so he can wear a big Cerebro helmet on his head full time and help set up a mutant-only society that is working to remake the world in a variety of ways, yeah, it's an odd, out of character story beat.  But that's Jonathan Hickman's redoing, not Slott's.

I hate the scene otherwise.  Slott's pseudo-explanation for Franklin is sort of ridiculous.  Honestly, I haven't liked much of what Slott's done with FF (though it's better than what he did with Iron Man).

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Eoae said:

Not really.   The ongoing plotline in the current X books is that mutants have set up a sovereign nation on Krakoa, a sentient living island.  Basically, to reside on the island - or even set foot on Krakoa - you have to be a mutant.  So, the scene from FF is pretty much in keeping with what's been established in the X books the past couple years. 

As to your larger point about Professor Xavier giving up his dream of mutants living in harmony with humans so he can wear a big Cerebro helmet on his head full time and help set up a mutant-only society that is working to remake the world in a variety of ways, yeah, it's an odd, out of character story beat.  But that's Jonathan Hickman's redoing, not Slott's.

I hate the scene otherwise.  Slott's pseudo-explanation for Franklin is sort of ridiculous.  Honestly, I haven't liked much of what Slott's done with FF (though it's better than what he did with Iron Man).

Ah, have read very little Fantastic Four. Ditto for X-Men. Cheers. Further cheers for agreeing with my larger point. I had problems with Dan Slott's Spider-Man run I've referred to before on the board.

36 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Ah, have read very little Fantastic Four. Ditto for X-Men. Cheers. Further cheers for agreeing with my larger point. I had problems with Dan Slott's Spider-Man run I've referred to before on the board.

No worries.  Yeah, if you haven't been  reading the X books the past two years, you're going to be very confused by any references to the X books.  Marvel basically gave the X-Men franchise over to Jonathan Hickman when he came back to Marvel, and he completely upended the status quo.  

Honestly, Hickman's version of Professor X is so head-spinningly different from any previous take that I keep waiting for him to yank the rug out and reveal that Xavier is a duplicate, a clone, insane, possessed, something.  It's kinda like the character broke bad, but not quite that simple.  

Everything is so different that I'm assuming it will have to be undone when Hickman leaves the book.  Can't see how the resurrection protocols can possibly stick.  Or the idea that most heel mutants gave up their personal goals to collaborate with the X-Men in building a united mutant utopia (Apocalypse has been doing a sympathetic babyface routine lately.  It's jarring).

Like I said, I'm guessing Hickman has some sort of shenanigans in mind that will ultimately undo everything's he's set up. 

• Like 1

Many people have speculated that Moira will end up being the one responsible/blamrd for all the atypical behavior on Krakoa, be it Xavier, the seemingly open relationship between Scott,Jean and Logan and other things people have been pointing out for a couple years.

• Like 1

Xavier has been off since even before Hickman so its mostly in line with what he has been the past couple of years. While I do think the status quo gets restored to some degree when Hickman's run is done I actually don't think it will be as much as everyone thinks. Stuff liek how Xavier is kind of make sense when taking into account the darker aspect he has shown in the past and what he saw from Moira's mind of her previous lives.

That change by Slott honestly pisses me off. Its the same type of unnecessary bullshit we saw happen to Wanda & Pietro. I dislike when they take elements of X-men away from the greater universe.

Xavier has shown his dark side over decades. Also they retconned some his morals away in some books in the last 20 years.  Same dude also used to rewire or alter people memories.

Anyway one more death for Moira and the timeline gets rewritten again, so they can undo it all when Hickman leaves.

So, Dan Slott. I've noted before that I really liked some of his Spider-Man solo run, mostly the earlier stuff in Big Time (TASM #648-651), Revenge of the Spider Slayer (TASM #652-654), No One Dies (TASM #655-656) and The Superior Spider-Man #1-33. I've hated others, pretty much all of TASM (Vol. 3 and Vol. 4). I dropped the book in Vol. 4, I needed to sooner. Slott also co-created Silk so that's another mark against him. When I think of Spider-Man writers and their runs, his and Joseph Michael Straczynski's worst really stick out more than anybody else. It hurts them both. As noted even while liking some Spider-Man stories by Dan Slott, he doesn't come off well in addressing fans in the past and I get the impression he's a pain in the ass to deal with including making deadlines which a documentary has gone on to show. Please click below to see an intresting thread on it:

One thing I forgot to add in my opening paragraph, Slott hung around on TASM way too long. TSSM ending was the time to go. I only liked very few stories post TSSM.

Edited by The Natural

On 11/22/2020 at 8:38 PM, The Natural said:

So Fantastic Four #26 by Dan Slott hasn't gone down well at all:

Hide contents

EndY-hDW4AAxZUK?format=jpg&name=large

It can be explained away easily as Xavier lying, or it simply not being him.

• Like 1

On 10/25/2020 at 5:35 PM, The Natural said:

Please can I have Captain America story arc recommendations and the same for Daredevil?

I've read a good chunk of Ed Brubaker's first run on the Captain America book, Civil War by Mark Millar/Joseph Michael Straczynski/Brian Michael Bendis, Brubaker's Captain America and Bucky series, Castaway in Dimension Z by Rick Remender, Nick Spencer's Secret Empire and Mark Waid's Captain America #695-704.

I've only read Daredevil: Born Again, Daredevil: The Man Without Fear, a couple of issues from Mark Waid's Daredevil run and the first TPB of Chip Zdarsky's Daredevil. That's it. I'm missing out on more Frank Miller and a total blind spot (pun not intended) by BMB and Brubaker.

Thanks!

On 11/22/2020 at 2:17 PM, The Natural said:

24, yes, 24 first time Daredevil reads this weekend: Stan Lee, Frank Miller and Mark Waid!

I'll post my reviews of the 24 first time Daredevil reads in order of release date and when I'm on my PC. We start with...

The Origin of Daredevil, Daredevil (Vol. 1) #1 (April 1964) written by Stan Lee and illustrated by Bill Everett. It’s something reading this for the first time having read and watched retellings of the origin in Frank Miller’s Daredevil stories and the fantastic Daredevil Season 1 on Netflix which is not only the best thing from the Marvel Cinematic Universe, it’s the best live-action Marvel ever closely followed by Daredevil Season 3. This is one of the best superhero origins. A young Matt Murdock saves someone from getting by a truck which spills illegal chemicals into Matt Murdock’s eyes blinding him. In doing so, it heightens all his remaining sense and can sense what’s around him. Matt Murdock promised his Dad he wouldn’t fight so gets around it by saying he’ll no longer be that when he wears his costumed alter ego. Did raise eyebrows at outdated points of view by Karen Page: “What a pity such a wonderful, handsome man is so handicapped!” Jesus.

In Mortal Combat with the Sub-Mariner, Daredevil (Vol. 1) #7 (April 1965) written by Stan Lee and drawn by Wally Wood. The Sub-Mariner, Prince of Atlantis demands he and his people return to the surface. Namor is told by Nelson and Murdock that court would throw the case out. Daredevil fights the Sub-Mariner over him attacking people/property damage to get what he wants. This was a terrific issue for a number of reasons: the Sub-Mariner initially playing by the rules of the surface, Murdock represents Namor at trial, an overmatched Daredevil fighting Namor in doing so earns the latter’s respect and DD’s signature red costume appears for the first time. No wonder it’s still the Daredevil costume to this day. I also liked Matt Murdock’s thought balloons reacting to what happens. Such a great story I wasn’t about to read. Glad I did!

Blind Alley/Expose, Daredevil (Vol. 1) #163-164 (March 1980 and May 1980) written by Roger McKenzie and Frank Miller’s the artist. In the first issue Matt Murdock/Daredevil tries to help Bruce Banner/The Incredible Hulk as both. It’s good. I liked the issue’s opener with cameo appearances by J Jonah Jameson and Tony Stark. It’s all about the second issue’s quality as Ben Ulrich confronts Daredevil that he’s Matt Murdock. We get a great retelling of Daredevil’s origin to Ben Ulrich and we wonder what he will do with that knowledge.

On 11/23/2020 at 4:37 AM, The Natural said:

Just need to type them up when I can sit at my PC. Thanks for reacting to my Daredevil posts, @paintedbynumbers.

On 11/25/2020 at 5:45 AM, The Natural said:

I'll post my reviews of the 24 first time Daredevil reads in order of release date and when I'm on my PC. We start with...

The Origin of Daredevil, Daredevil (Vol. 1) #1 (April 1964) written by Stan Lee and illustrated by Bill Everett. It’s something reading this for the first time having read and watched retellings of the origin in Frank Miller’s Daredevil stories and the fantastic Daredevil Season 1 on Netflix which is not only the best thing from the Marvel Cinematic Universe, it’s the best live-action Marvel ever closely followed by Daredevil Season 3. This is one of the best superhero origins. A young Matt Murdock saves someone from getting by a truck which spills illegal chemicals into Matt Murdock’s eyes blinding him. In doing so, it heightens all his remaining sense and can sense what’s around him. Matt Murdock promised his Dad he wouldn’t fight so gets around it by saying he’ll no longer be that when he wears his costumed alter ego. Did raise eyebrows at outdated points of view by Karen Page: “What a pity such a wonderful, handsome man is so handicapped!” Jesus.

In Mortal Combat with the Sub-Mariner, Daredevil (Vol. 1) #7 (April 1965) written by Stan Lee and drawn by Wally Wood. The Sub-Mariner, Prince of Atlantis demands he and his people return to the surface. Namor is told by Nelson and Murdock that court would throw the case out. Daredevil fights the Sub-Mariner over him attacking people/property damage to get what he wants. This was a terrific issue for a number of reasons: the Sub-Mariner initially playing by the rules of the surface, Murdock represents Namor at trial, an overmatched Daredevil fighting Namor in doing so earns the latter’s respect and DD’s signature red costume appears for the first time. No wonder it’s still the Daredevil costume to this day. I also liked Matt Murdock’s thought balloons reacting to what happens. Such a great story I wasn’t about to read. Glad I did!

Blind Alley/Expose, Daredevil (Vol. 1) #163-164 (March 1980 and May 1980) written by Roger McKenzie and Frank Miller’s the artist. In the first issue Matt Murdock/Daredevil tries to help Bruce Banner/The Incredible Hulk as both. It’s good. I liked the issue’s opener with cameo appearances by J Jonah Jameson and Tony Stark. It’s all about the second issue’s quality as Ben Ulrich confronts Daredevil that he’s Matt Murdock. We get a great retelling of Daredevil’s origin to Ben Ulrich and we wonder what he will do with that knowledge.

From my tablet this time round:

Elektra, Daredevil (Vol. 1) #168 (January 1981). Frank Miller is the writer and artist. Matt Murdock/Daredevil comes across an old flame radically changed, Elektra. Elektra is now a bounty hunter. Both are after the same man. A great issue for notable reasons: Elektra’s first appearance, the flashbacks to Matt Murdock/Elektra Natchios past love and how Daredevils torn between his love for her and stopping her. This was also the start of Frank Miller’s famous run on Daredevil as writer/artist. Hell of a beginning.  

Devils, Daredevil (Vol. 1) #169 (March 1981). Frank Miller is the writer and penciller. Bullseye is free and all he sees are people dressed as Daredevil wanting to kill the Daredevil. This was great for the fights between the two. The second is notable in a subway and what Daredevil does pulling the unconscious Bullseye of the tracks. What would you do? Leave him becoming what you fight against by saving him knowing he’ll kill again. That’s what separates us from them, famously Batman’s no kill rule despite wanting to do that to the Joker.

The Kingpin Must Die!/In the Kingpin’s Clutches/Gangwar!, Daredevil (Vol. 1) #170-172 (May-July 1981). Frank Miller is the writer and penciller. This was a brilliant story for Wilson Fisk wanting to give up files on his competition when he was the Kingpin of Crime. Said competition kidnap Vanessa to bring out Wilson Fisk. Wilson Fisk makes them pay. You see Fisk’s intellect, a brutal fight between Daredevil/Bullseye wanting to kill one another and how Wilson voluntarily hands the files to Daredevil who has to accept this time. Fisk manipulates all. I also liked the thought bubbles of Matt Murdock/Daredevil. Of note, the cover for #171; “At last…Monthly!”

The Assassination of Matt Murdock/Gantlet/Hunters, Daredevil (Vol. 1) #174-176 (September-November 1981). Another great story, the Hand is out to kill their target, Matt Murdock. Elektra protects Matthew, good job too as he’s lost his radar sense. Criminals are aware Daredevil’s not quite right for reasons unknown to them. This story introduces the Hand and Stick. Frank Miller’s story and art. There’s a really funny sequence as Elektra, Turk, Daredevil and Matt Murdock’s girlfriend, Heather Glenn go to Wall-Eyed Peter seeking intelligence on Stick’s whereabouts. Also funny, Daredevil taking out Turk with what he says while doing so. Good ending as Elektra ponders what will happen to her and Matt.

Edited by The Natural