DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Comics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

On 11/2/2020 at 7:55 PM, Brian Fowler said:

I've said for years that the DD/Sub-Mariner issue is the single best comic Stan Lee ever wrote/was credited as writing, and I stand by that.

Why is that? It's a good issue and Wally Wood's art is gorgeous, but I don't see how it compares to the best Lee/Kirby issues of Fantastic Four or the best Lee/Ditko Spiderman stories. Are there no good Gene Colan issues? I really hate the digitalized, recolored versions of old comic books. I want to see the old printed copies. For that reason, it's a chore to even try and go back through the Colan issues. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ohtani's jacket said:

Why is that? It's a good issue and Wally Wood's art is gorgeous, but I don't see how it compares to the best Lee/Kirby issues of Fantastic Four or the best Lee/Ditko Spiderman stories. Are there no good Gene Colan issues? I really hate the digitalized, recolored versions of old comic books. I want to see the old printed copies. For that reason, it's a chore to even try and go back through the Colan issues. 

I really hate it as well.

https://www.cbr.com/nick-spencer-amazing-spider-man-last-remains-interview

Nick Spencer interview on Last Remains and his run on The Amazing Spider-Man. Please read it. This stood out in particular:

"I haven’t done a lot of interviews or talked publicly about the run these last couple years. That’s been by design. I wanted to really try to let the work do the talk and leave it in the hands of the audience. And so far, I’m pretty pleased with the results of that experiment."

"I want to say thank you to everyone that’s been reading. I’ve said it a bunch of times, but this really is the book I’ve always dreamed of writing at Marvel, and to be at this point in it, to be starting to fulfill promises we’ve been making since the first issue, it’s exciting. Spidey fans are some of the most passionate in all of comics, and they’ve made me feel very welcome here. I’m enormously proud of the response we’ve gotten, especially from the lifelong, hardcore readers like me. I promise I’m doing everything I can to do right by them, and by the character."

---

I'm a lifelong fan of Spider-Man, he'll always be THE Marvel character to me. The only superhero I like more is Batman. Nick Spencer is doing a great job on The Amazing Spider-Man, fixing Dan Slott fouls. It's one of the best comic book runs I've read. Thank you, Nick Spencer and keep it up.

• Like 1

On 10/29/2020 at 1:31 PM, The Natural said:

Let us know if you want Batman and Spider-Man recommendations.

Appreciate it good sir. Batman took a temporary pause as I was able to find the Batman Family run of books so I'm reading those. I'm just now getting into the Jackal and Gwen Stacy in Spider-Man which holds up really well.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Eoae said:

The Tony Stark/Howard/Mephisto stuff is probably my least favorite comics' storyline in a lonnngggg time.  Lol, and that covers a lot of ground.

The first two parts you mention I recently read in Invincible Iron Man: The Search for Tony Stark, Brian Michael Bendis' last book at Marvel Comics. Boy, it was bad.

DoCrzFVUcAAvf4-?format=jpg&name=small

Dvq_GU1UUAA96gL?format=jpg&name=large

Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man #310 written and drawn by Chip Zdarksy is a must read. Fittingly called Finale ending Chip's run on the book. It's flawless. So full of heart, funny and very moving. Comes recommended by me and @Matt D. I LOVE that issue.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

My review of the above:

Best of Enemies! The Spectacular Spider-Man #200 (May 1993). JM DeMatteis is the writer and Sal Buscema’s the artist. Peter Parker/Spider-Man's feud with Harry Osborn/the Green Goblin comes to a final conclusion. This was a great story as the shadow of Norman Osborn/the original Green Goblin looms over the named characters, Mary Jane Watson and Gwen Stacy. I liked how Harry promised MJ that no matter what happens between the Green Goblin and Spider-Man, she’s safe and how he misses Gwen. Harry also stalks Peter putting him on edge. JM DeMatteis' skilled in killing characters giving them the story to go out on: Kraven the Hunter/Harry Osborn/Aunt May. I’d certainly have kept Kraven and Harry dead. There’s an argument for Aunt May but I’d miss her in Joseph Michael Straczynski’s TASM run as he wrote a great Aunt May, probably better than anybody else. JMD's also skilled in anniversary issues as can be seen here and TASM #400. One more note, something seeing MJ smoke as she does in the book. Think she might have in Kraven's Last Hunt as well.

MJ smoking was something that came up toward the end of Micheline's run as I recall, with the LMDs masquerading as Peter's folks sent by The Chameleon. I thought that was kinda hamfisted myself.

James

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, The Natural said:
Interesting. I thought J.M.DeMatteis would pick Kraven's Last Hunt. J.M. DeMatteis is one of the best ever Spider-Man writers.

Nah, he seems to have conflicting feelings about Kraven's Last Hunt, for a couple reasons.  Apparently, he was going through some personal issues at the time and was in a fairly bad place.  He's said in his blog that he was in such a bad place in his life that he was in as much pain as the characters in the story - to the point that it's hard for him to go back to KLH without remembering how terrible his situation was.

Second, KLH wasn't intended to be a Spider-Man story.  His originally pitched it as a Wonder Man story.  In the original draft, the Grim Reaper (Wonder Man's brother) killed and buried Wondy and it takes six months for Wondy to regenerate and dig himself out of the grave.  Marvel rejected it, so JDM wrote elements from the story into a Batman/Joker story he pitched to DC.  DC rejected it too, though DeMatteis reworked the pitch and it eventually got published as an arc in Legends of the Dark Knight called "Going Sane" (rather different from original pitch).  After that, he reworked the pitch into Kraven's Last Hunt and went back to Marvel with it.

Anyway, JDM seems more attached to stories he wrote for Spider-Man, instead of just re-purposing another idea.  It seems to be one of his favorite Spidey stories, though.

The other issue is that people apparently go up to JDM - even interviewers - and talk about how Kraven's Last Hunt made him famous, which he seems to bristle at.  He'd been in the industry for over a decade or so at that point and had an awful lot of other good work to hang his hat on (both superheroes and creator-owned stuff like Moonshadow).  It seems fair to say he was already a name at that point.  

Kraven's Last Hunt is my favorite DeMattieis Spider-Man story, but I'm a heartless philistine who really dislikes Sal Buscema's art, so Zeck's art put it over the top for me.

Edited by Eoae
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Eoae said:

Nah, he seems to have conflicting feelings about Kraven's Last Hunt, for a couple reasons.  Apparently, he was going through some personal issues at the time and was in a fairly bad place.  He's said in his blog that he was in such a bad place in his life that he was in as much pain as the characters in the story - to the point that it's hard for him to go back to KLH without remembering how terrible his situation was.

Second, KLH wasn't intended to be a Spider-Man story.  His originally pitched it as a Wonder Man story.  In the original draft, the Grim Reaper (Wonder Man's brother) killed and buried Wondy and it takes six months for Wondy to regenerate and dig himself out of the grave.  Marvel rejected it, so JDM wrote elements from the story into a Batman/Joker story he pitched to DC.  DC rejected it too, though DeMatteis reworked the pitch and it eventually got published as an arc in Legends of the Dark Knight called "Going Sane" (rather different from original pitch).  After that, he reworked the pitch into Kraven's Last Hunt and went back to Marvel with it.

Anyway, JDM seems more attached to stories he wrote for Spider-Man, instead of just re-purposing another idea.  It seems to be one of his favorite Spidey stories, though.

The other issue is that people apparently go up to JDM - even interviewers - and talk about how Kraven's Last Hunt made him famous, which he seems to bristle at.  He'd been in the industry for over a decade or so at that point and had an awful lot of other good work to hang his hat on (both superheroes and creator-owned stuff like Moonshadow).  It seems fair to say he was already a name at that point.  

Kraven's Last Hunt is my favorite DeMattieis Spider-Man story, but I'm a heartless philistine who really dislikes Sal Buscema's art, so Zeck's art put it over the top for me.

I knew Kraven's Last Hunt wasn't to be a Spider-Man story till it was but I didn't know the rest. Cheers. Like you, Kraven's Last Hunt is my favourite JM DeMattieis Spider-Man story. It's also in my top ten best Spider-Man stories ever.

The Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 5) #51 written by Nick Spencer, the artist is Patrick Gleason in Last Remains Part Two. Spider-Man needs Doctor Strange’s help at the Sanctum Sanctorum. This was a great issue with a misstep I’ll return to. The positives include the dialogue between Spidey and the Sorcerer Supreme, references to the first half of Joseph Michael Straczynski’s Amazing Spider-Man run, nods to the horrible One More Day so it looks like Nick Spencer will address that, a surprise I didn’t see coming and the final few pages as Spider-Man enters Kindred’s domain. One more, Patrick Gleason’s cover and interior art for this dark arc. The lone misstep as Spider-Man fights Silk, Peter’s caption box says on a normal day she can go toe to toe with him. You know my feelings about Cindy Moon/Silk, she’s shit. Can’t wait till the next issue.

The Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 5) #51.LR written by Nick Spencer and Matthew Rosenberg, the artist is Federico Vicentini in Fallen Order: Part Two. We return to the Sin-Eater post Sins Rising/The Return of Norman Osborn.  This was a very good issue for that, I’m glad it’s followed up on. We get a Sin-Eater vowing to continue his work despite Kindred leaving him, a fun well written interaction between Doctor Strange and the Black Cat. The issue ends on a genuine surprise. That’s a frequent strength of Nick Spencer’s writing. Great art by Federico Vicentini, I’d like to have him on the main book joining Patrick Gleason and Mark Bagley. There’s been a rotating door of artists.

On 11/14/2020 at 5:23 PM, The Natural said:

Had a productive day with first time reads of some terrific Daredevil stories. Reviews will be posted as soon as.

Those were Roger McKenzie, Frank Miller and today, Mark Waid. Reaffirms why Daredevil is one of my favourite comic book heroes.

• Like 1

X-Men legends will fill in the blanks and retcon stuff.

Teen 05 Cyclops is back somehow for Champions.

Probably could be X-Men vs Transformers crossover.

And days of future past seems to be changing again..they could this time around actually tie Rachel to 616.