DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Comics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

The 8 year old just burned through the first two trades of Ms. Marvel. This is unexpected. A friend had sent the first ~10 Spider-Girl trades (plus Darkdevil/Buzz, Fantastic Five, A-Next,etc) and she had made through those, which means she has this incredible foundation of stuff that will not help her in any other story she ever reads, so that's fun. I'm probably going to veer her towards Moon Girl next. Spider-Gwen. I don't love Squirrel Girl at all but maybe she will? Maybe Secret Wars from the 80s. That seems accessible. I don't even know.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cliff Hanger said:

X-Factor probably ties with Marauders for the most promising first issue of the post-Hoxpox stuff, with Hellions right behind for its sheer madness

I thought Hellions was more at the bottom with Fallen Angels.

39 minutes ago, Ace said:

I thought Hellions was more at the bottom with Fallen Angels.

I am a big fan of crazy, bringing Nanny and Orphan Maker out of mothballs hit my nostalgia button hard, and I liked the dialogue. I can totally understand why others wouldn't like it, but I had more fun with it than X-Men, X-Force, Excalibur, New Mutants or the solo books.  Fallen Angels was just a whole other level of How Did This Get Made bad.

The Amazing Spider-Man: Sins Rising Prelude. Writer: Nick Spencer, Artist: Guillermo Sanna in Sins Rising Prelude. How did Stanley Carter become the Sin-Eater? I wasn’t sure about the occult supernatural part of it. Non linear storytelling also. I did like them reprinting the actual pages from the sequel to The Death of Jean DeWolff. Have to say I find both overrated like the writer of them, Peter A David. 

The Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 5) #45. Sins Rising Part One written by Nick Spencer and the artist is Mark Bagley. Peter Parker/Spider-Man finds out Stanley Carter, the Sin-Eater has returned somehow and he won’t stop chasing Overdrive. This was a great start of the arc. I forgot how well Nick Spencer writes Peter Parker’s inner narration boxes, continuing to get Peter Parker/Mary Jane Watson spot on, Spidey’s reaction to seeing Sin-Eater’s resurrection and Mark Bagley back on The Amazing Spider-Man. This could be Nick Spencer’s darkest story in his time on the book – maybe one of the best as well. This and The Amazing Spider-Man: Sins Rising Prelude end on a In Memoriam to the late, great Denny O’Neil and deservedly so.

Edited by The Natural

The Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 5) #46. Sins Rising Part Two written by Nick Spencer and the artist is Marcelo Ferreira. The Sin-Eater goes up against the Lethal Legion. This was a very good issue. Interesting seeing the after effects on the criminals when confronted by the Sin-Eater. Liked that, a certain panel of Spider-Man reacting to these developments and Nick Spencer gets the voice of Norman Osborn right as he has all the other characters in his run on TASM. I do have one quibble, I wasn’t keen on Ferreira’s art. There’s been a revolving door of artists since this volume begin. Wish it was more stable when it comes to the art. Needs more Ray Ottley, Humberto Ramos though he’s hit and miss and Patrick Gleason.

• 2 weeks later...