DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Comics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

attachment.php?attachmentid=97622&d=1592

The Amazing Spider-Man #850 out this September. With the exception of the 2099 arc, I've really enjoyed Nick Spencer's run on the book especially Back to Basics (#1-6), Heist (#7-9), fixing Dan Slott fouls, Boomerang and the mystery behind Kindred's identity.

TASM #850 Spoiler:

Norman Osborn returns as the Green Goblin!

On 11/19/2019 at 5:02 PM, The Natural said:

Friendly Neighbourhood Spider-Man: Secrets and Rumours collects Friendly Neighbourhood Spider-Man (2019) #1-6 written by Tom Taylor, Juann Cabal (#1-4, #6) and Yildiray Cinar (#5) and Marcelo Ferreira (#1 backup) are the artists. In #1-4 Spider-Man as we meet new characters in his neighbourhood and learns something new about NYC. I really liked this story for how Tom Taylor gets the voice of Peter Parker, a new ally he makes in the NYPD and the artwork by Juann Cabal, a double page spread of Spidey swinging while buildings are used to show historic moments in the characters 57 years. In #5, Aunt May lets Peter Parker know what we found out in #1’s backup. I hated what Peter says to her more so after praising how Taylor handled Peter in the opening arc. #6 is a sweet read as Spider-Man is joined by Spider-Bite to retrieve the heart of the city. The inside covers rightly recommend Nick Spencer’s Amazing Spider-Man and Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man by Chip Zdarsky.

Friendly Neighbourhood Spider-Man (2019) #7-10 written by Tom Taylor, on art is Ken Lashley in Feast or Famine. Aunt May gets the F.E.A.S.T.: Food, Emergency Aid, Shelter and Training Centre up while Prowler is back, what are his intentions? This was very good, I really liked how Spider-Man handles someone who assaults a beggar, Aunt May is well used in her speech on the F.E.A.S.T. Centre’s aim, standing up to uncaring people more bothered about what it will do to real estate there and how Iron Man’s used or rather Tony Stark is required.

Friendly Neighbourhood Spider-Man (2019) #11 written by Tom Taylor, on art is Juann Cabal in Friendly Neighbourhood Mary Jane. Mary Jane Watson and her relationship with Peter Parker and Aunt May get the spotlight in a good issue. Nice seeing MJ finish what Peter started as Spider-Man. Cabal makes a welcome return.

Friendly Neighbourhood Spider-Man (2019) #12-13. Shot Across The Bow/You Say You Want a Revolution. Tom Taylor’s the writer. Pene Perez the artist for #12, various artists in #13. There’s a hit on Spider-Man by the tyrant leader from Under York. Spidey calls in friends, the Fantastic Four. The best thing from this was Spider-Man’s continuing interactions with Detective Shari Sebbens, Dr Richard Sebbens and daughter Jordie. Fun banter between them in the series, like to see them used elsewhere. I care very little about Under York, #13 felt rushed and marred by four different artists.

Friendly Neighbourhood Spider-Man (2019) #14's A Night Off is written by Tom Taylor. Marguerite Sauvage and Ken Lashley the artists, Sauvage on flashback. The story revolves around a promise then: Aunt May to Peter Parker that she’ll be there when he wakes and Peter Parker to Aunt May now, he’ll be there when she wakes up from her cancer surgery. There’s a blackout so Spider-Man’s forced into action. This was a terrific issue, Peter wanting to keep his promise to May, the superhero community protecting the neighbourhood knowing where Peter’s meant to be and how Spider-Man stops the blackout appealing to the kid who did it. The kid turns the power back on as Spider-Man says someone needs him and the kid says “we all owe you for all you’ve done”. Tom Taylor wraps his run up with the best issue from it. Shame the series ended as Spider-Man needs a secondary title to go alongside the flagship one, The Amazing Spider-Man.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

Friendly Neighbourhood Spider-Man (2019) - The Good.

• The voice of Peter Parker/Spider-Man – he’s mature, funny and cares about his community.
  • A great story in A Night Off (#14) and that probably goes for Spider-Bite (#6). Friendly Neighbourhood Mary Jane (#11)’s very good.
  • The interactions between Spider-Man, Detective Shari Sebbens, and her family. I hope other will use them as members of Spider-Man’s supporting cast.
  • The mostly smaller scale.
  • Juann Cabal’s art, like to see him draw more Spidey in the future.

Friendly Neighbourhood Spider-Man (2019) - The Bad.

• What Peter Parker says to Aunt May at the beginning of Not Running (#5). Tainted the entire issue and the one mistake Taylor makes in his characterization of Peter Parker.
  • I cared very little about Under York/The Rumour, not good as that’s a big part of the run.
  • The above didn’t fit with the smaller scale stuff, the triple S was more interesting.
  • No big bads. I’d have liked to see how Tom wrote them. Wasn’t those available to him or maybe he didn’t want or need to?

Miles Morales: Spider-Man – Straight Out of Brooklyn collects Miles Morales: Spider-Man  #1-6 written by Saladin Ahmed and drawn by Javier Garron. #1-3, Spider-Man is in an unlikely team up with the Rhino as kids are missing which gets the attention of Captain America. Spider-Man gets quite the endorsement when Captain America asks Miles “What do you think our next move should be?” I liked this story the most. I also liked #4’s as Miles Morales/Ganke/Judge/Barbara play truancy having to stay ahead of Vice Principal Ducker in a good single issue story. #5-6 is very mediocre/meh as Spider-Man gets involved in Tombstone’s gang wars as does a new character, Tiana Toomes/Starling who I can’t see catching on. Wasn’t keen on the cartoony interior art, how Miles Morales costume is rendered there or Marco D’Alfonso’s #2-6 covers. Give me the variant covers from Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Man (2018) included in the book instead.

The Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 5) #44. Beware the Rising written by Nick Spencer. Kim Jacinto with Bruno Oliveira, artists. This was a really good single issue using Overdrive, getting over the returning Sin Eater, Spencer getting the Peter Parker/Mary Jane Watson dynamic again as he has on the book and Kindred tormenting Peter in a dream or rather a nightmare. I hope the reveal of Kindred’s identity a) comes soon – hopefully Nick times it right so it doesn’t drag and b) who it is isn’t a disappointment.

Edited by The Natural

On 7/9/2020 at 2:14 PM, odessasteps said:

I guess as long as they have Hellboy, there will a reason for them to publish.

B.P.R.D. 4 Life, suckas!

7 hours ago, The Natural said:

I hope the reveal of Kindred’s identity a) comes soon – hopefully Nick times it right so it doesn’t drag and b) who it is isn’t a disappointment.

I think b will be impossible to achieve just due to how big mysteries like this are with so many names getting thrown out there in general. It will really just depend on execution.

• Like 1

I haven't been reading any of this as I'm behind, and this stuff came together in a way where I just feel the need to trade wait. That said, even just going off what spoilers I have seen on Bleeding Cool its rather obvious the big bad is who Ace just mentioned. 

Edited by Eivion