DVDVR Message Board

WCW Monday Nitro Omnibus Thread

Zakk_Sabbath

Watching some random episode from 1995. Eric Bischoff is SO friggin' overbearing as an announcer. He's terrible. Macho Man is taking on Kurusawa, managed by Colonel Parker. Can we talk about Colonel Parker? I've become such a fan of his lately. Am I wrong for this?

You are only wrong in that it took you until lately to become such.  The Colonel was god damn awesome.

Hulk Hogan is a disingenuous piece of shit. 

"I'm your BEST FRIEND, Macho! I'm gonna fend off Arn, brother, because your my BEST FRIEND, then I'm gonna hold it over ya, brother, then celebrate in the ring, man, like I just won the goddamn belt myself, brother, and by the way, I want the first title shot, brother!" 

How did no one in the industry sit Hulk down and be like, "Dude, your character is kind of a sociopath and maybe even a narcissist, but definitely just a bad person altogether?"

He's the kind of 'friend' you cut out of your life once you shake off the chronic inebriation of your early 20's.

Aren't these the kinda things that Heenan and Ventura would hint at when they talked about Hogan?

He is the worst friend..

Hulk Hogan is a disingenuous piece of shit. 

"I'm your BEST FRIEND, Macho! I'm gonna fend off Arn, brother, because your my BEST FRIEND, then I'm gonna hold it over ya, brother, then celebrate in the ring, man, like I just won the goddamn belt myself, brother, and by the way, I want the first title shot, brother!" 

How did no one in the industry sit Hulk down and be like, "Dude, your character is kind of a sociopath and maybe even a narcissist, but definitely just a bad person altogether?"

He's the kind of 'friend' you cut out of your life once you shake off the chronic inebriation of your early 20's.

Aren't these the kinda things that Heenan and Ventura would hint at when they talked about Hogan?

He is the worst friend..

The more I watch the network, the more I feel that he is the single biggest heel in the history of wrestling.  Almost every single feud he is a part of is 100% because he was a huge dick to whoever he was feuding against.  The Randy Savage feud in particular is masterful heel work, except he was supposedly the babyface. 

• Like 1

Watching the 11/18/96 Nitro, Malenko was just DQ'd for tossing Ultimo over the ropes. How long did WCW keep that rule? I can't imagine it was much longer after this. Very dumb for this era.

Until the spring/summer of 97 if I recall.  I like that they actually took a few minutes in the broadcast to tell you about the rule change, too.

WCW in the early Nitro era, pre-nWo, was so friggin' bizarre.

The new guys were flat-out awesome. I watched a Malenko/Benoit vs. Eddie/JL match last night and it was SO good. And not just 1995 good. That match would still work today. I really wish we could somehow warp time so we could see a Malenko/Guerrero/Benoit vs. The Shield six-man. I JUST BLEW YOUR MIND.

Then they had the WCW "classic" dudes like Flair and Arn and Pillman and Sting, who were all really good. They didn't have the athleticism and crazy WTF moves that the cruisers did, but those guys were flat-out professionals.

And then there was anything remotely close to Hogan and the Dungeon of Doom. Oh my god, the YE-TAY popping out of the ice was one of the great dumb moments in wrestling history. Hogan is beyond awful in this stuff. We know that The Giant got really good over the years but he's absolutely awful doing his evil laugh stuff. This stuff is just absolute crap.

Also, I would take California Sting over Crow Sting all day every day.

• Like 1

Can we talk about Colonel Parker? I've become such a fan of his lately. Am I wrong for this?

No. No you are not.

His love affair with Sherri is wrestling comedy done right not because of the storyline itself, but because those two are so damn ridiculous. 

My ability to take Kevin Sullivan seriously is hampered by his thick Boston accent. I keep waiting for him to talk to me about the Sox. 

Abuddadein has told me, that Cespedes for Gomes was a winning trade, Cespedes possesses the golden bat, weaved from the threads of Calcutta, and the Sox will raise like the smoke from the streamboxes of the Far East.

Ok, Kevin Sullivan needs to do an in-character podcast about the Boston Red Sox now

• Like 5

1. LOL @ This Ric Flair promo on Episode 2 of Nitro. Flair kept calling Luger package. Mongo is killing me man. I could only imagine how pissed off people were backstage that this dude basically walked right in and got a job.

2. Is it just me or does anybody else look into the crowd to look at how folks dressed back then. 95 was a long time ago man. Damn I feel old.

3. I still get chills from this Nitro intro..

4. Norton vs. Savage in Episode 2 was fun. Norton beat the hell out of Savage man. Also, did anybody peep Norton pulling a semi-Orton? Used a draping brainbuster/ddt type of move pulling Savage from the Apron.

5. I have Nitro DVDs that I never went through completely. There was an Extacy commercial during one of the breaks during one of the first 10 Nitros. I can't remember which one. But has anyone come across it yet? Yes THAT Extacy

One thing that really jumps out at me in these early Nitros, and the accompanying ppvs, is that they were clearly really high on Eddie, and to a lesser extent, Malenko.  Both guys were featured nearly every week(especially Eddie).  Eddie rarely did any clean jobs, pinned Pillman, went to a draw with Badd.  He was one of the last 9 guys in the ring at WWIII, and got to hold off Arn and Flair for a stretch in that match.  Malenko nearly beat Sting.  Obviously, Malenko pretty much reached the level he should have.  He was a featured guy every week, got huge pops, and was a strong US champ.  Eddie however, never got there.  It seemed like once they were gearing up for the NWO, he got lost in the shuffle.  I can't help but wonder where guys like them would have ended up if there were no NWO.

Also of note, it seems like they were much more interested in protecting some of their "homegrown" guys at the time.  Craig Pittman, Eddie, Kurasawa, Malenko, Benoit, Norton and Harlem Heat were all kept very strong at the time.  Not sure why they went off the rails in that regard.

• Like 2

I'm just getting into this gold mine having missed all of this stuff originally and holy shit that first Nitro looks like a telethon.

I don't think, in my entire life, I've seen something that made me feel as good as Jushin Liger running out from in between a Yankee Candle Shop and a GadZooks!

WHY ISN"T THIS THE WORLD ALWAYS?????

Listen, if I were filthy rich, I would start a promotion that solely consisted of shows at non-wrestling locations like malls and Club LaVela.

I'm watching Benoit's Nitro debut against Eddie right now. This match RULES. These guys (and Dean and later Rey) are so far ahead of what anyone else in America was doing at the time. I think the WWE has never been better in-ring than it has the past two years or so. These throwaway Nitro matches with these dudes are just as good as what we're lucky to have now.

Jimmy Hart's face in this Hogan promo talking about the monster truck thing against the Giant is remarkable. He's clutching the belt and making these gestures like he's having a Crohn's disease flare-up while sitting in traffic in a car without air conditioning and windows that won't shut and it's July in Florida. So amazing.

I don't know if anyone enjoyed being a Horseman more than Flyin' Brian. He loves that role and it shows.

• Like 3

Anyone else find the American Males theme to be a little "rapey"?  Seriously, the lyrics are disturbing.

Critical Condition..........

Just saw Johnny B Badd attempt a Double Axe handle to a downed Paul Orndorff. His brain must have glitched

"I know Orndorff is down but we planned to do a double axe handle here..."

My ability to take Kevin Sullivan seriously is hampered by his thick Boston accent. I keep waiting for him to talk to me about the Sox. 

Abuddadein has told me, that Cespedes for Gomes was a winning trade, Cespedes possesses the golden bat, weaved from the threads of Calcutta, and the Sox will raise like the smoke from the streamboxes of the Far East.

Ok, Kevin Sullivan needs to do an in-character podcast about the Boston Red Sox now

Sullivan sounds like the "Satanic" member of an Irish-Catholic Southie family who is going through a rebellious phase.

Anyone else find the American Males theme to be a little "rapey"?  Seriously, the lyrics are disturbing.

Critical Condition..........

Just saw Johnny B Badd attempt a Double Axe handle to a downed Paul Orndorff. His brain must have glitched

"I know Orndorff is down but we planned to do a double axe handle here..."

"if he gets up, he'll be ripe for my double axehand-- oh shit, he's not getting up"