DVDVR Message Board

WCW Monday Nitro Omnibus Thread

Zakk_Sabbath

Watching Malenko vs Rey Jr. from the night after Bash at the Beach. I totally forgot how small Rey Jr. was.

Malenko's theme music still kicks ass. It would be even better if it wasn't in midi.

Dude I completely forgot about Harlem Heat until re-watching these. Awesome, awesome match with Sting/Luger a few episodes ago.

Sting vs. Malenko on 11/13/95 was actually really, really good. I can't believe I've never seen or heard of this match before.

On a side note, which I may have mentioned elsewhere already: Even with all the goofy Dungeon of Doom and Yet-tay bullshit, Nitro is so much more watchable than Raw from this era it's not even funny.

EDIT: Damn fine Eddy/Pillman match happening on 11/23/95's episode. There was just a cool ass spot where Pillman is taunting Eddy, and Eddy's all "fuck that" and just tackles him and starts pounding his face. Pillman with a nasty, nasty bump onto the guardrail from the top rope.

• Like 1

As a suburban white kid, I thought Harlem Heat was the most fascinating thing I'd ever seen. Big African American gentlemen with do-rags and nasal strips coming to the ring talking about beatin suckas up and taking the gold. I was captivated. I thought they were the coolest things ever...

• Like 1

I was always fascinated with their nasal strips too! My dad wore them to help with his snoring, so I had absolutely clue why anyone would need them in the ring (I was 8 or 9 and had no deductive reasoning skills).

Just caught Road Warrior Hawk vs. Big Bubba. I knew from their DVD that Hawk had gone to Japan without Animal, but I didn't know he spent time in WCW without him too. I know they had some WCW matches in '96 so it couldn't have been that long.

EDIT: Finally got to Hogan/Sting-- I've never seen this match, but I remember seeing ringside pictures in the Apter mags leading up to the Starrcade '97 match. They confused the absolute shit out of me, since Hogan is in black, and Sting is in Red/Yellow-- really threw off my timeline since I had never seen the TVs, only the PPVs which we rented from Blockbuster (I was pretty much exclusively WWF at that time of my youth). Actually not a horrible match. Hogan vertical suplexes Sting on the mats on the floor, which would probably turn both dudes to dust if they did it today. Hulk also rolls into an armbar, which was pretty damn cool.

Best sell of World War 3, by Mongo: "That was just a TASTE of what you're gonna get this Sunday! I mean, that was only ONE ring, with just a FEW guys in it!"

Also, Arn Anderson is doing the Lord's work in some of these Horsemen vs. nWo promos...

"You tried to blind me with spray paint. You should used battery acid, because that's what I would've done..."

"I called ahead in Winston Salem and reserved a hospital room for myself, because I might need one after War Games..."

• Like 2

I'm tempted to re-sub to the Network just to keep watching Nitro. After finishing every ECW ppv, I only used it for NXT and ppvs.

I was never a big fan of WCW (only watched casually in 2000) so besides watching the classic matches on WWE produced DVDs over the years, most of this stuff is totally new to me. It's refreshing. 

Could not believe Jerry Lynn taking on Eddie Guerrero.

I'll be 100% honest: I ONLY subscribed to the network for Nitro. I thought it was going to be on there from launch!

JL vs. Eddy was awesome.

Not yet up to the Arn/NWO promos, but I just watched him and Flair spike piledrive Orndorff on the concrete after a pretty badass promo- looked brutal

Nitro being so lean is going to make blazing through these episodes pretty easy and painless.

Episode 81:

Is this the debut of the Mr. Wonderful WCW theme? The Brian is hyping it as if its the case and the fact that the other two announcers won't shut the fuck up about it- it must be the first time.

The Mr. Wonderful storyline and theme mostly played out on Worldwide at the time.

It seems to me that WCW is doing a much better job of recapping Saturday Night etc. on Nitro than the WWF did with recapping Superstars, Action Zone, etc. on Raw. It's also nice to finally be seeing matches of consequence from this era. I could only take so much of Rip Rogers and 16 year old Matt & Jeff Hardy getting tossed around like ragdolls by dudes who mattered.

Plus it's cool because 90% of pre-Outsiders Nitro is brand new to me, so I'm having a blast

Ten episodes in and I'm loving the Nitro format. It all feels like a managed chaos. Everything means something. Everything gets time. Nothing is over-produced. There is no reason WWE shouldn't run Smackdown 2014 like this. Still waiting to come across the JTS episode of Nitro.

Does anyone know the taping format for Nitro? 1 hour of 'dark' matches. 1 hour of Nitro. Perhaps a dark main event? 10 events in and WCW is not doing any double shots. Just trying to figure out how long the fans were in the arena. I am guessing there was no dark main event because I am seeing a TON of empty seats despite Luger, Savage, Sting, Flair, and Hogan all being on the WCW roster at the time.

Re: Dean's music

I agree. Its always been good. WWE has reused music in the past (Patriot/Angle, Torrie Wilson/Michelle McCool, The Cat/Brodus Clay, etc.) and I think its time to break out The Ice Man's music for Ryback if WWE ever decides to get behind Ryback again.

• Like 1

My bad but I looked it up and you're right.

I'm into December 1995, and I have to say, I don't think it's purely nostalgia talking here: the set is still pretty modern looking by today's standards. The current WWE presentation just looks so gaudy with 30,000 big screens and LEDs and all that shit. I was so pissed when they changed the set/logo in 1999. Everything about it to me was just perfect, and it remains that way to this day.

EDIT: BADASS Flair vs. Eddy match in December 1995. Not as good as their Road Wild match, but definitely on par with their KOTR 2002, albeit a bit shorter.

• Like 1

Repeat outfit on Mongos' chihuahua with the sombrero :(

EDIT: Sgt Craig just got himself more over with me in 30 seconds asking Heenan to be his manager than 45-50% of dudes on WWF TV today. Why they are not doing the little things anymore, I just do not know...

EDIT 2: EARL ROBERT EATON!!~~!!!!!1111!!!

EDIT 3: Man, Savage has been so unbelievable in his role. I wish his title run was longer. Hell, I wish he got a longer one in the later years when things were hot. Suffice to say, I can't help but wonder what would've happened if he stayed in the WWF and got to work with Michaels, Diesel, Razor, Bret etc. more.

EDIT 4: STEVE MICHAELS, REFRIGERATOR PERRY

• Like 1

EDIT: Sgt Craig just got himself more over with me in 30 seconds asking Heenan to be his manager than 45-50% of dudes on WWF TV today. Why they are not doing the little things anymore, I just do not know...

EDIT 3: Man, Savage has been so unbelievable in his role. I wish his title run was longer. Hell, I wish he got a longer one in the later years when things were hot. Suffice to say, I can't help but wonder what would've happened if he stayed in the WWF and got to work with Michaels, Diesel, Razor, Bret etc. more.

Pittman ruled. 

And yes, Savage was fucking tearing it up at this time. Vince was putting him out to pasture, but he clearly had so much left to offer and if he had lost a step in the ring, it's barely noticeable. Maybe he's not getting as much height on the double axehandles from the top, but that's nothing to sweat. 

I just love how he's zero bullshit in every situation. He'll throw down at the drop of a hat and if he doesn't trust someone, ex. Luger, he comes right out and says it. I get why they eventually put him in the NWO, with the WWF connection, but damn, he should've stayed WCW. 

I wonder how many members of LT's Wrestlemania 11 team turned down WCW before they got Mongo to be part of the team on Nitro.

Here's one thing WCW did that the WWE should consider... the changes in the announcers for each hour. The RAW commentators could honestly be less shitty if we didn't have to listen to them for 3 hours in a row. The flaw being that some guys who are already disinterested may not pay attention to stuff that starts before their shift in the booth.