DVDVR Message Board

WCW Monday Nitro Omnibus Thread

Zakk_Sabbath

Any word when they're going to upload more Nitros?

Slight bump if anyone ever hears anything, please let us know.

I'm watching every Nitro in order along with their respective PPV's, the Nitros being down to 1.5 hours with no breaks are such a breath of fresh air. The whole shows are so put together that I don't want to leave the screen, whereas if I watch any WWE Raw the last ten years I usually play games on my phone or do other things around the house while it's on.

I'm just coming up to Halloween Havoc, October 1996, so i'm going to run out sooner or later of episodes to watch.

Oh, and how great was Lex Lugers theme song? 

• Like 1

speaking of theme songs, i find it interesting that the Giant never had one in WCW. he used the Dungeon of Doom's, then the nWo's, then went without a theme song before rejoining the nWo a year later. weird piece of trivia for someone i guess.

I'm watching every Nitro in order along with their respective PPV's, the Nitros being down to 1.5 hours with no breaks are such a breath of fresh air. The whole shows are so put together that I don't want to leave the screen, whereas if I watch any WWE Raw the last ten years I usually play games on my phone or do other things around the house while it's on.

I'm just coming up to Halloween Havoc, October 1996, so i'm going to run out sooner or later of episodes to watch.

I loved Luger's face song but his heel theme from 89 was pretty epic as well.

• Like 2

I loved Luger's face song but his heel theme from 89 was pretty epic as well.

Always loved that theme. Sounded like the best possible effort of Def Lepard.

Agree 100% with everything. I am on the Nitro after Halloween Havoc, and I'm beginning to sweat. Someone told me possibly around Labor Day to coincide with the 20th anniversary of Nitro's debut, but that seems like way, way too long to wait. It's just so much more engaging than modern day Raw.

I always get a kick out of hearing Lex's music during some random highlight package on ESPN-- gotta love WCW for their weird stock music usage.

I feel like I was just talking about that sketch on here, too. Such funny stuff. Goldberg's theme used to pop up on WWII stuff on the History Channel all the time, before they took the channel in a different direction. Huge difference from the later years where they were just throwing money around to have the main eventers come out to high priced stuff like Hendrix, Metallica, Megadeth, KISS etc.

So bummed out every time DDP's Jimmy Hart Nirvana-rip off is edited. I guess it was still too similar for the comfort of WWE. It's a fun game whenever I notice there's been no announcing going on for a few minutes to guess whether they're muted due to a music edit or for Benoit reasons.

i have a love/hate relationship with the WCW announce team from the nWo era.

on one hand, they speculated about who will turn, possible outcomes for matches, hypothetical matchups, etc.

it really made everything seem like part of a bigger picture, with how the fallout from one thing will potentially affect many other things. 

on the other hand, they did all of that at the expense of matches currently happening in the ring.

and they were stupid. "Sting is here! wait, why is he attacking Lex Luger? oh that was just kevin nash in a plastic sting mask"

I was watching some 1997 WCW with a younger friend who's only wrestling experience is what she's seen in her lifetime.  She was practically blown away by how much Tony Schiavone put over a horrible situation and came across as being legitimately pissed off if someone turned or got bludgeoned by the NWO.  Basically, she was blown away that someone seemed to give a shit.

i have a love/hate relationship with the WCW announce team from the nWo era.

on one hand, they speculated about who will turn, possible outcomes for matches, hypothetical matchups, etc.

it really made everything seem like part of a bigger picture, with how the fallout from one thing will potentially affect many other things. 

on the other hand, they did all of that at the expense of matches currently happening in the ring.

and they were stupid. "Sting is here! wait, why is he attacking Lex Luger? oh that was just kevin nash in a plastic sting mask"

That was the worst. "Sting somehow has become 7 feet tall and joined the nWo! What does this mean for WC.....oh wait it's Kevin Nash."

• 2 weeks later...

To be fair, there is precedent. Remember Halloween Havoc 1990?

When a Sting disguise is on someone, it alters their physical characteristics in the eyes of everyone watching. 

That spawned my favorite Apter mag story. The Horsemen blackmailed Sting's tailor into making the tights for Windham and they got one of Flair's girlfriends in the ATL area to do the make-up. Also, Windham being mad that they told him to hit the gym and tone up a bit to pull off the ruse.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Somebody put me out of my misery. Jimmy Graffiti's theme music is VERY familiar to me but I can't tell why. I just know somebody else in WCW used music (to a louder and quicker tempo) but can NOT think who.

Someone, anybody have any idea who it was?

I'm usually really good at placing the WCW stock themes to other guys or shows/commercials, but I'm having a hell of a time with this one too. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHTQp_kdIRXTzYIMNGjnTPg this guy has hundreds of stock themes on this channel but I can't get through them all.

Definitely agree on the Satch influence-- same with Brad Armstrong's theme (though his has maybe a dash more Cinemax After Dark)

Update, i'm now at Starrcade 96, which means my run is nearly over and no more Nitros have been added yet.

Quick question, this is the biggest PPV of the year for WCW, they have been building Benoit vs Sullivan very heavily, then the week before the PPV they randomly throw Benoit vs Jarrett on there, what's the deal with that and not having the Sullivan match? I know the Jarrett situation with the Horsemen but still.

Also, christ why did they keep giving Debra the mic to talk about Woman every week?

That Giant heel turn to join the nWo the first time sucked. Yeah, I know that he was a substitute for bringing Bulldog or Bret Hart in (and on the opposing RAW dated four days later, Pillman talks about Bret Hart's future openly, so even though I don't remember the dates, this must have been the time that Bret re-signed with WWF on that ill-fated twenty-year deal), but still, they would have been better finally paying off Luger's pseudo-heelishness with a turn even if they then wouldn't have had him to directly question Sting during the impostor Sting angle. Luger would have fit in so much better with those guys at that time, I think. 

That Giant heel turn to join the nWo the first time sucked. Yeah, I know that he was a substitute for bringing Bulldog or Bret Hart in (and on the opposing RAW dated four days later, Pillman talks about Bret Hart's future openly, so even though I don't remember the dates, this must have been the time that Bret re-signed with WWF on that ill-fated twenty-year deal), but still, they would have been better finally paying off Luger's pseudo-heelishness with a turn even if they then wouldn't have had him to directly question Sting during the impostor Sting angle. Luger would have fit in so much better with those guys at that time, I think. 

In hindsight, Giant's first turn actually made sense. They talked about how Hogan promised him movies and lots of money and even though everyone knew he was doing it just so he didn't have to deal with Giant, he (Giant) was still basically a rookie in the sport and didn't know any better. After a while he started seeing through Hogan's lies and broke away.

As a 9 year old kid, I thought it was pretty wild just because we weren't yet in the era where shock/out of no where turns happened all the time. I never figured it would happen and like cwoy pointed out, it did kinda make sense. Yeah, it would have been better with a WWF guy and Giant's turn probably let WCW feel that they could just put anyone in the nWo, but I think the initial angle itself was decent enough. I kinda feel like no one else who joined after The Giant should have joined. Having a group of really good-elite stars would have been way better than just a large group with a bunch of members. I think it would have also lessened the nWo burnout because it would have meant less nWo on the show but who knows. Ultimately, we know that all WCW knew was nWo=money and they were gonna go all in even if it killed them.

*EDIT*

I wouldn't have had a problem with them eventually adding Randy Savage but I thought the timing was off and he joined too soon, not to mention he kinda got lost in the shuffle. His feud with DDP was great but he never felt like a main player anymore, at least not the same way he was presented pre-heel turn.