DVDVR Message Board

WCW Monday Nitro Omnibus Thread

Zakk_Sabbath

Nitro 103 is the official debut of THE BOOTY MAN~! I may or may not have seen The Barber while he was in WWF, but I definitely remember The Booty Man and thought he was corny as shit back then. My opinion hasn't changed. Booty Man and Task Master both looks silly and I hated both. The best part of Booty Man's debut was the Hogan promo by the booth where he calls The Booty Man "Booty, Booty, Booty, Booty Man". Surely Bubba Sparxxx got his inspiration from that promo.

Also, besides turning on Savage, did Liz every do anything worthwhile in WCW? People talk about wrestlers phoning it in and people showing up just to collect a check, but Liz has to be tops in this department. Everything I've seen of her in WCW really comes down to 'shut up, stand there, and look cute'. Flair, Luger, Savager, it didn't matter who she was with- she was a complete non-entity.

Jimmy Hart and Mongo calling everyone 'baby' is both hilarious and endearing.

Nitro 104 just made my evening. THE ROAD WARRIORS VS. HARLEM HEAT~! Full disclosure, I haven't seen the match yet so it might completely suck. But just seeing the second team come out and going into this episode having no idea what to expect- its fucking sweet.

I cannot believe that Alex Wright vs. Sabu is nearly twenty years old, and that I remembered that much of it in detail. First Sabu match I saw after reading about him in the Wrestling Chatterbox as a tiny, tiny Parties, too young to be reading a Makropoulos joint.

I'm surprised at how bad Mongo was on color. I expected him to be goofy. I expected him to know nothing about wrestling. But I could not have expected him to go entire singles matches referring to the respective competitors as “This Guy” and “That Guy”. His enthusiasm makes his complete lack of preparation all the more remarkable. He's so amped that I can't call him the worst announcer ever, but he's one of the strangest, and unique in his childlike interpretation of language.

• Like 1

Yeah, I was trying to follow up on WW3 with the next night's Nitro, and it's the same on my PS4. I think they are pulling down the 1995 Nitros to properly number them because I can only get to the very last Nitro of 1995, and it is now labeled "Nitro 18" instead of whatever crazy number they had up for it before. 

Just search for the episode by number. Like nitro 99 or what ever

That wouldn't have worked; they pulled them down to change them to the right episode numbers.

They are up again, properly numbered. 

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished watching episode #33 from 04-29-96. The main event was The Giant winning the WCW title from Ric Flair but the most infamous match was the parking lot brawl between Belfast Bruiser Fit Finlay and Lord Steven Regal. When I watched the match live all those years ago, I thought Bischoff was crazy for telling the cameras to shoot at a wide angle. Watching it now, the match truly was brutal. Fit put his boot right through a window. Regal got strangled by a seatbelt. Both guys got whipped through side mirrors on cars which sent glass flying. The finish was a pile driver on top of a car. I believe Regal said in his book that none of the cars were gimmicked. That was real glass flying around.

The Steiners and Scott Norton/Ice Train also had a really fun sprint. Loads of power moves by all four guys. Ice Train was not nearly as bad as I remembered.

• 2 weeks later...

I can't help but wonder what would have happened with the booking of Hogan if the NWO never happened.  Part of me feels like he would have faded out eventually, because he was largely MIA for the first half of 96 anyway.  He would pop up here and there, but I remember him being gone for several weeks in the spring/summer leading to Bash at the Beach.  The reason I think he would have faded out, is that WCW probably would have just kept trying to push him as a face even with the sour reactions from the fans.

If the NWO never happens, then neither does WCW becoming a juggernaut from 1996-1999, and we don't get the WWF taking as many chances and rolling the dice on Austin, anti-USA Bret, Foley, Shawn/HHH together as DX, The Rock's heel turn, amongst a host of other things. No Montreal, no Mr. McMahon... I mean, we could really go crazy with the Butterfly Effect type stuff here (which might actually be a really fun thread to make at some point). So with that in mind, I think it certainly wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility to say that Hogan may have gone back to the WWF after the needle stops moving, and the heat from the steroid trial dies down.

Had Hogan stayed in WCW without the NWO happening, then I think we would have gotten booking that looked like a hybrid of pre-NWO era Nitro, and like, summer of 1999 where you have babyface Hogan teaming with Sting and Goldberg against Flair, Sid and Steiner, and of course that crappy Nash feud (that, really, could have and should have been so, so much more).

Mind you, I think Hogan was absolutely god awful in the nWo once the initial shock of "Oh, Hulk's bad?" wore off. His dumb evil laugh, painted on beard, etc.

I hope this doesn't offend you, but I want to ask: how old are you? I'm like 27 now, so at the time, my friends and I (who, to that point, were total WWF New Generation kids) thought that Razor and Diesel (the guys from "our team" were the babyfaces, and thus, Hogan's "cool" factor really, really shot up with us. Watching it in retrospect, it's easy to see how corny and, as Nash said in a shoot, how "wrestling" it is, but we loved it.

I'm 36. I was in college when the nWo debuted. I started my (ugh) online fandom via Prodigy when I was a teenager and went to ECW in person so I was at my most smarky at the time period. I liked the first stuff with Hall and Nash doing bat attacks and spray paint but Hogan got so stale so fast, with his awful evil laugh and the like. The nWo were supposed to be the coolest guys in the room and here's Hogan with his dumb look and trunks with lightning bolts on them talking about his nWo-ites bowing at his feet and the like really didn't fit.

Mind you, I wasn't a Hulkamaniac even in grade school and always leaned towards rooting for heels. I also liked NWA/WCW more (despite living outside NYC), so Hogan coming in and seeing Flair and Arn and those guys get pushed aside and Hogan and the Booty Man and the awful Dungeon of Doom nonsense was really sickening to me.

So, I never liked Hogan. I never will. He's always bored me to tears and/or aggravated me.

I gotcha. Outside of what we rented from Blockbuster after we got into WCW (once The Outsiders showed up and other kids at school started talking about it) I didn't see a whole ton of pre-NWO WCW-- and you're about ten years older than me, so that definitely colors our respective perspectives (possible band name). My family also didn't get Internet until about late '97, and I wouldn't say I got smartened up until about mid-'98 when I saw ECW on MSG for the first time, and accidentally got linked to 1wrestling through a banner ad on their site.  Before that, the only wrestling site I knew was AOL Keyword: WWF.

So, as a '90s college guy, let me ask you this: were Nitro parties ever at any point an actual thing?

Zakk, your description is pretty much me verbatim, except I was also a huge Hogan fan and watched Nitro from the beginning while still keeping up with the WWF. Living in NY, most of my friends were hardcore WWF fans and even when WCW was at their hottest, the WWF wasn't ever really neglected. My family also got internet/first computer at the end of 97 and I remember finally being able to access the AOL Keyword: WWF and going to the Shopzone website. I think my first real exposure to ECW was also in 98 through MSG. I don't remember really reading NEWZ websites until about 2000 although I suppose it could have happened before that.

I didn't look at The Outsiders as "cool" even though they were the "cool" heels. To me, they were just heels. If I were in college at the time, I probably would have looked at them differently. I was all in on the Hogan heel turn because I was such a huge Hulkamanaic as a kid and didn't get bored of him until WWF took off with Austin.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm at GAB '96, and I think my favorite thing about WCW that doesn't involve actual wrestling is Dusty on commentary. It's the best thing ever.

'GO CROSS THE HALL TO THE LADY'S, LET'S SEE WHAT THAT ONE LOOKS LIKE!'

I'm at GAB '96, and I think my favorite thing about WCW that doesn't involve actual wrestling is Dusty on commentary. It's the best thing ever.

'GO CROSS THE HALL TO THE LADY'S, LET'S SEE WHAT THAT ONE LOOKS LIKE!'

"She said I got to get some relief baby!"

"Da Horsemen are ridin again!"

I think Flair/Savage is one of my four or five favorite feuds ever in wrestling, and oddly, it's not because I enjoy most of the matches (my favorite is probably their match at WM VIII, but I don't particularly love anything else they did together). Actually, it's because unhinged nutbar Savage and unhinged nutbar Flair against one another makes for amazing television every time.

On Nitro #24 (I think), there's a Arn Anderson/Hulk Hogan main event that ends with a rat poison -----> heel to the eye so that Anderson gets the win. Good match, but the aftermath, with Savage swinging a chair wildly after coming down to help Hogan get revenge, followed by Flair ripping off Eric Bischoff's headset over at the commentary desk and then yelling "HELLO! HELLO! HELLO!" before ranting that Hogan was going to get his ass kicked yet again by the Four Horsemen, was an amazing sequence. It was capped off perfectly by Flair's ridiculous hyperventilating into the mic after he spied Hogan and Savage coming over to re-start the fight and tried to get away with his headset still on. 

I could watch those two cut crazy old man promos on each other and attack each other with chairs all day.

• Like 4