DVDVR Message Board

WCW Monday Nitro Omnibus Thread

Zakk_Sabbath

Watching the 4th episode of Nitro.

1. I am really liking this Luger/Macho Man angle. Funny conversation between the two.
Luger: I am tired of playing with little kids where are the big boys
Macho: There is no bigger boy than the Macho Man. I'm right here and all we are missing is the bell. DING DING!

2. I forgot that Pittbull Pittman did a damn E. Honda projective headbutt. LOL

3. Didn't think it was back then, but Taskmaster's Theme music was smooth man

4. Meng beat the hell out of Luger man

Next episode Eddy Guerrero vs. Dean Malenko. Oh yea.........

I love how they give you a small preview as to what you will see the following week.

One thing I appreciate about WCW's booking, guys running out to help even when they aren't involved in the storyline. See: The Nasty Boys and American Males running out to save Hogan during the mustache shaving. It seems like in today's WWE, people don't leave their orbit.

• Like 1

Speaking of Disco, and I feel strongly about this, but he probably had Sabu's best WCW match.  He is like the only person that tried to have a real match with Sabu instead of a spotfest.

Yes. I just saw the match and this would have been a PERFECT feud for Sabu. Just perfect. Disco is just an asshole and so full of himself. Sabu was having NONE of that. Just good stuff all around. I hope there is a rematch (or was this Sabu's last WCW appearance?). Was Saby using shoot tables in WCW?

Does the American Males song sound 'rapey'? You be the judge:

American Males
American Males
American Males
American Males
American Males
American Males
AMERICAN MALES...

When ya see them comin
Better run for cover
Girls you dont need a weekend lover... UNNNN
American Males

If they want to talk
ya better not listen
you might wind up in critical condintion... HAHA
American Males

American Males
American Males
American Males
American Males
American Males
American Males
AMERICAN MALES

American Males
American Males
American Males
American Males
American Males
American Males
AMERICAN MALES

They're irrestable
They're unpredictablllle
American MAAALLLaYaYaYlllesssss

American Males
American Males
American Males
American Males
American Males
American Males
AMERICAN MALES

American Males
American Males
American Males
American Males
American Males
American Males
AMERICAN MALES (fade to black)

There was no way this shit was ever going to get over:

115fbc349644718.jpg

This made me start thinking, will there ever be a mummy character that is over? Who working today can get it over? What will need to be done? Obviously the cartoon mummy SMW, WCW, and WWE used was shit everytime.

A better DOD would have been: Meng, Giant, James Mitchell, Sabu, Scott Norton, and eventually Lex Luger. 6 bad ass dudes and one really good talker. The Meng/Norton tag team would have been pretty awesome. If WCW HAD to use the other guys they all would have best been served for dark matches and house shows. Guys like Kamala, Tenta, Sullivan, Yeti, and Zodiac were corny then and they are even cornier now.

• Like 3

This made me start thinking, will there ever be a mummy character that is over? Who working today can get it over? What will need to be done? Obviously the cartoon mummy SMW, WCW, and WWE used was shit everytime.

They should just rip off La Momia here. Freaky mouth effect, oddball music, the whole lot.

Yes, the song is definitely rapey, and catchy.  Not because it's rapey though.  But the song is so bipolar, it's like "these dudes are so hot, but seriously, don't go near them".

If they want to talk to you, don't listen to them or else you'll wind up in critical condition.  What does that even mean?  I'm guessing they slip you a roofie while you're talking to them?

Not really Nitro related but I came across it during my Nitro+PPV marathon:

Why did Eric Bischoff call the Monster Truck match and not Schiavone? Seemed weird that Heenan swapped colleagues for that one match.

"Which side did he did he fall on, the water or the concrete?"

"Does it really matter, same thing"

*Heenan's soul dies a little bit more*

paraphrasing a bit there.

So, will the marathon of these Nitros help us pinpoint the time when Heenan really stopped giving any sort of shit about his job?

I guess my memory played tricks on me, because I don't remember the YET-TAY being so telegraphed.  What I mean by that.......I remember watching the Nitro with the giant ice block as it aired, and I swear I don't remember them actually calling him the Yeti when they talked about the insurance policy.  And at the end when the ice block exploded, I'd swear I remember it cutting to black sooner so that you never actually got a look at him.  I seem to remember having discussions....."I wonder who it was, etc" so i don't remember at all seeing a wrapped up mummy. 

Because that reveal at the PPV, yeah, i also remember thinking "What the fuck?", and that being the first look at that abortion. 

And man, I know this has been beat to death over the years but i wold have loved to have sat in on the discussion over naming this character. 

"He's a mummy.......so obviously we should name him after a bigfoot type creature."

1. It is funny how Pillman and Benoit, understudies of Flair, both had some MEAN chops. Man Benoit might be the best chopper post-Prime Flair.

2. Benoit was so damn explosive man. Again, other than Muta, I don't know if anyone existed that had such quick moments of speed, quickness, power. So damn crisp in the right. On Episode 84 of Nitro Benoit vs. Guerrero. Damn both of those dudes are dead man. Hate being reminded of that.

3. In the first 4 episodes of Nitro, anytime Meng was previewed to be in the next segment, he was shown wearing a weird mask. When on Earth has he worn that to the ring? I don't remember seeing that before.

I had forgotten how awesome the Giant beatdowns are with all the random babyfaces running down to help Hogan and getting plastered for their troubles. I also love Savage's random interjections in promos around this time, cutting off Sting every other sentence with things like "YOU GOT IT!" and "YOU THINK SO?" as poor Stinger tries to keep his promo on track.

3. In the first 4 episodes of Nitro, anytime Meng was previewed to be in the next segment, he was shown wearing a weird mask. When on Earth has he worn that to the ring? I don't remember seeing that before.

I want to say that he never actually wore it to the ring but I could be wrong.  I think he only wore it in one or two of those vignettes that took place in the weird cave-lair of the Dungeon of Doom.