DVDVR Message Board

Breaking Bad Final Season Continues August 11th

Elsalvajeloco

If you accept the Brock poisoning, and Huell super pick pocket and Andrea just opening her door and wandering out when a strange man knocks in the middle of the night...you should accept Walt's mystical journey.

Seriously. This is also a show that allowed three guys to kill off an entire Mexican drug cartel and still easily get out of Mexico... This is a show that had a guy get half his face blown off and walk out of the room and adjust his tie before he died...

It wasn't exactly 100% grounded in reality. 

It was an amazing show (possibly the best ever) but you have to give a little dramatic license.

• Like 4

In the first flash forward when he bought the gun, did Walt switch cars?  I seem to remember Ellsworth giving him keys and Walt popping the trunk to check the gun.  

Yes he grabs his bag out of the stolen car he'd been driving, then hits the unlock button on the keys Ellsworth gave him.  He goes over to the car that beeps and opens the trunk and sees the gun is inside.

• 3 weeks later...

My and my girlfriend binge watched the entire series in just over a month, starting with watching the first episode a week before the Finale aired on AMC. We watched the Finale yesterday. The writing on the entire series was so very tight and everything came to a logical conclusion. The only thing I'm a little upset about is I wanted more of an ending to Jesse's story. He's free from the Nazi's, but now what? This show as Walter's story from beginning to end, so i can see how it ends when Walter dies. But it was just as much Jesse's story, and i want a little more closure to him.

Loved the show completely. The last show she and I binge watched was Dexter, and my God how badly did that show fall off a cliff for the last Season. Breaking Bad was the finale that Dexter was not in every way possible. Now we're sad that we don't have the show for us to watch every night. We haven't watched Mad Men, so that may be next. Orange Is The New Black is also on our watch list. But I just don't think whatever we do end up choosing to watch will be anywhere near as almost perfect as Breaking Bad was.

There are some of us who are running with the idea that Jesse dug up the barrels of cash the Nazis had, changed his name, and ran away to start a new life in the 'Need for Speed' universe.

Totally baseless and made up but if that movie has enough vague plot that it let's me run with it, then I'm running all the way haha

Honestly, I think the first scene in the finale showed us that Jesse ends up ok.  You know, showing him building the box like he talked about in rehab?  He looked healthy and happy. 

I shotgunned the series in the last 1.5 months(which became accelerated due to my recent unemployment) and finished it up today.  I can't say much that hasn't been said, but I don't think I've ever felt more engrossed by a tv show ever.  If I were watching in real time, the waits between seasons would have been excruciating.

The Walt/Jesse relationship was so bipolar.  There were times where they would show you what Jesse's life would end up like if Walt didn't come along.  Basically a self destructive junkie.  Whenever he and Walter had a falling out, he always reverted back to that lifestyle and surrounded himself with people who used him for what he could do for them.

Anyway, the only real point I wanted to make here was how perfect the music was in the whole series.  It's up there with Scrubs and Cowboy Bebop for me in how it perfectly used music for each situation.  I might also be the only person to ever mention these 3 shows in the same sentence.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I've kept it under wraps but I've been binge-watching Breaking Bad for the last few weeks.  Ever since I finished Dexter, basically.  Had never seen the show before - except one scene (the "ATM on the dude's head" scene) but heard how great it was and wanted to give it a go.  And, well...

I'm a bit disappointed.  Was it good?  Yeah.  Was it very good?  Usually.  Was it great?  Nah.

I loved the concept and for the most part liked the character development and the way things progressed.  There were some genuine "Oh shit!" moments for me - like when Combo got blown away or when Todd shot the kid on the bike - but there weren't enough.  And those moments were offset by ridiculous stuff like Fring walking out of the bombed room, Terminator-style, before collapsing.  Or the ridiculous train robbery.  And so on. 

In addition, this was a show that very clearly was in love with itself.  It did "clever" stuff just to be clever and overused some visual tricks ("hey, let's have the camera look up through the bottom of an object here - AAAAGGGAAAAAAINNNNN").  And it also seemed pretty obvious that the show's creators didn't like how much the audience sided with Walter throughout the story so they made him increasingly evil as time went on (poisoning a kid, letting Jesse's girlfriend die, and so on).  And it seemed like a bit of a copout to have Walter pairing up with a white supremacist prison gang - just about the most evil group possible - to drive home that idea that, hey, Walter is actually evil. 

As I said, though, the show was good.  I liked Jesse throughout.  He was messed up but believable.  And the relationship between Walt & Jesse, as bipolar as it was, was still really good.  I liked the Hank character, even if it did seem a little implausible that it took him that long to catch onto Hank.  I liked that Walt basically got to enjoy none of the fruits of his labors - and didn't really even care.  He didn't want to spend the money, just wanted to HAVE it.  And in the end, he didn't even really get that. 

So, yeah, a good show but not on the level of The West Wing or Friday Night Lights.

8/10.

IMO, they gave us mixed signals on Walt. He was, overall, a bad person. But he did get to go out killing nazis, saving Jesse and arguably died happy. He probably got a better ending than he deserved. Morally, he wasn't different from Gus or Lydia.

I always thought that the message was that the ends don't always justify the means.

He started doing what he was doing to provide for his family in a time of crisis. The cancer wasn't just going to kill him; it was going cripple his family financially. He wanted to avoid that at all costs.

However, once he started down the rabbit hole he become more obsessed with his legacy. He wanted to build the empire that he never did with Grey Matter and it ended up hurting his family more than if he had've just let the cnacer take him from the start.

I can see how someone coming into it after all the hype might feel it's over rated. I'm yet to see a single episode of The Wire and I worry that it's not going to be as good as everyone tells me.

I can see how someone coming into it after all the hype might feel it's over rated. I'm yet to see a single episode of The Wire and I worry that it's not going to be as good as everyone tells me.

Yeah, that show is next for me and I have the same fear (haven't seen any episodes of it).

On the other hand, I went into Friday Night Lights with sky-high expectations after all the hype on it from this board - and those expectations were exceeded. 

I honestly think if I'd seen it from the start I'd still say "yeah, good or very good but not great".  I just wouldn't be disappointed like I am right now.