DVDVR Message Board

Breaking Bad Final Season Continues August 11th

Elsalvajeloco

Fuck Lydia.

Yeah man, really, fuck Lydia.------------That said, I went back and watched the trailer for Need for Speed, and man, whoever said that looks like whatever Jesse Pinkman would be up to is spot on. I was getting a strong Jesse Pinkman vibe watching the trailer again. Maybe it was due to Jesse's scars in Felina compared to the main character's scars in Need for Speed, or the very haunted and sober tone Aaron Paul spoke with in the trailer, or that the last we see of Jesse is peeling out and driving off in Felina, but whatever it is, it's kinda neat.
The producers should get the film edited so that Aaron Paul's character has no name and we can all go on believing it's Jesse haha

The key that struck me about the finale was that for the very first time a plan of Walt's totally worked. No loose ends, no unforeseen difficulties, no potential blowback to come. One last plan that came together completely.

I assume Walt was hit by a ricochet.  We don't really see exactly where it entered (from the back or the side) and we don't really know how much damage it did.  It certainly finished him off, and based on the amount of blood we see on his clothing it seemingly did a lot of damage, but I think he died so quickly more because he was about 80% wasted away from the cancer/all the energy expended in his revenge plot.  I think the bullet was just the final nail in the coffin.

Yeah I think it was a ricochet because it had to be adjusted to a certain height. Walt had to get Jesse down to the ground fast enough not to get both of them sprayed. So technically, that was a hitch in the plan because I doubt you can plan to get to hit by one or two bullets in that condition and survive.

The key that struck me about the finale was that for the very first time a plan of Walt's totally worked. No loose ends, no unforeseen difficulties, no potential blowback to come. One last plan that came together completely.

A few thoughts:

- One of the recurring themes of the show is the consequences of half-measures. The finale is Walt making sure he goes full measure on everything.

- Another recurring theme of the final season is comparing Walt to the devil, and in "Felina" he certainly has the devil's luck. Jesse at the end certainly seemed like a man who'd gotten out of a contract with the devil in one piece.

- Finally coming to terms with his pride and villainy allowed Walt to go 100% Heisenberg. The hat-and-shades, Stone Cold-wannabe bald goateed guy, the guy trying to look and sound like a badass, that was never really Heisenberg. The gaunt, disheveled, eerily-calm man from the finale was the real Heisenberg. Sort of like Rorschach before and after the kidnapping case...

Yeah I think it was a ricochet because it had to be adjusted to a certain height. Walt had to get Jesse down to the ground fast enough not to get both of them sprayed. So technically, that was a hitch in the plan because I doubt you can plan to get to hit by one or two bullets in that condition and survive.

Actually, I don't think Walt planned on surviving the shooting. It was only because Jesse was there that he ended up on the floor. I'm inclined to believe that he intended to take himself out along with the Aryans.

• Like 1

Actually, I don't think Walt planned on surviving the shooting. It was only because Jesse was there that he ended up on the floor. I'm inclined to believe that he intended to take himself out along with the Aryans.

I would like to think that Walt thought about at least one of the Aryans surviving. Then, he could go around and finish the deal much like they did to other people. I mean Todd was smart enough to get down.

SWEET LORD. The finale pulled in 10 million viewers.That's an amazing number for cable, period, but even moreso when you consider the show rarely pulled in more than 2 million viewers for most of its existence. Behold the power of Netflix, I guess.

The only negative side to that is the show at its absolute most was watched by 6 million people, so roughly about 3-4 million people just ruined the entire experience of Breaking Bad for themselves because they just had to see how a show they had never watched before ended.

Well, live, that's true. Doesn't take VOD, etc into account. Wonder how many people bought episodes on iTunes, Amazon, etc over the previous two months, caught up on DVR, or watched ondemand

Hell..my mom (a 70 year old woman who can't even work a DVR without calling me for help) did this.  She told me about it the day after the finale and I was SHOCKED.  She learned how to work VOD, netflix streaming, etc and binge watched for the past two months.  If she can do it, I have no doubt there are 4 million (or whatever the number between total viewers and people who watch the show live) others who did.

I would like to think that Walt thought about at least one of the Aryans surviving. Then, he could go around and finish the deal much like they did to other people. I mean Todd was smart enough to get down.

Uncle Jack instructed Todd to break apart Walt and Jesse.  He was just following instructions.  Like any good Nazi.

Fuck Lydia.

Yeah man, really, fuck Lydia.------------That said, I went back and watched the trailer for Need for Speed, and man, whoever said that looks like whatever Jesse Pinkman would be up to is spot on. I was getting a strong Jesse Pinkman vibe watching the trailer again. Maybe it was due to Jesse's scars in Felina compared to the main character's scars in Need for Speed, or the very haunted and sober tone Aaron Paul spoke with in the trailer, or that the last we see of Jesse is peeling out and driving off in Felina, but whatever it is, it's kinda neat.
The producers should get the film edited so that Aaron Paul's character has no name and we can all go on believing it's Jesse haha

Aaron Paul is probably going to be the best thing about Need for Speed judging by the trailer.  You put Ryan Reynolds or Channing Tatum in the lead role instead and everyone would likely be talking about how awful and generic it looked.

But Jesse Pinkman's in it, so yeah, it actually looks sort of OK.

I counter that by saying that as long as Walt was pushing the button, the gun kept shooting.  If Walt was hit immediately, then the plan was all for naught. I'm pretty sure Walt was going to duck anyway and let the bullets fly and hope for the best.

Eh, well, technically, he was apparently intending to kill Jesse with the rest of them till he realized that he was far from a willing partner with the Nazis, leading to him willingly taking a bullet for the guy.

- Finally coming to terms with his pride and villainy allowed Walt to go 100% Heisenberg. The hat-and-shades, Stone Cold-wannabe bald goateed guy, the guy trying to look and sound like a badass, that was never really Heisenberg. The gaunt, disheveled, eerily-calm man from the finale was the real Heisenberg. Sort of like Rorschach before and after the kidnapping case...

My interpretation was that Walt we saw in the finale wasn't really Heisenberg. Nor was it the old Walt. It was something new. Maybe a combination of the two. This was a sad, remorseful but still very smart and ruthless figure.

I counter that by saying that as long as Walt was pushing the button, the gun kept shooting.  If Walt was hit immediately, then the plan was all for naught. I'm pretty sure Walt was going to duck anyway and let the bullets fly and hope for the best.

Was it a continuous button pressing thing, or was it a one off button press? I'm going for the latter.

I'm a bit disappointed to read that they didn't have a real plan for the M60 when they introduced it. 

I wonder if they knew what the beginning teaser for season 2 was going to be (the hazmat guys fishing the stuffed animal out of the pool).  I guess that episode was called Seven Thirty-Seven, so there's a good chance they at least planned for there to be a plane involved.

I'm a bit disappointed to read that they didn't have a real plan for the M60 when they introduced it. 

I wonder if they knew what the beginning teaser for season 2 was going to be (the hazmat guys fishing the stuffed animal out of the pool).  I guess that episode was called Seven Thirty-Seven, so there's a good chance they at least planned for there to be a plane involved.

I believe the plane crash was planned throughout. Various episode titles that season make up the sentence - Seven Thirty Seven Down Over ABQ

• Like 1

Did Walt sell his soul?

So I’ve watched the last episode of Breaking Bad three times now and although I’ve enjoyed it every time I can’t help but wonder if there is something I’m missing. I’ve read far too many great TV writers that seem confused and even disappointed by Felina and all of it’s straight lines and perfectly executed plans for there not be something sinister hiding in the cracks. So allow me to go out on a limb; Walter White sold his soul to Devil while hiding in the car at the beginning of Felina. Sound far fetched?

Well consider this:

- While police seemingly surround the car he is hiding in Walt prays out loud, “Just get me home. I’ll do the rest.” From that point onward, everything falls in place with a precision unlike anything we’ve seen on this show before. It starts with the keys falling into his lap and his Fonzie-like tap on the window and continues with many other bits of business that feel way to polished for this show. 

- Walt seemingly appears out of thin air in several scenes. First at stately Schwartz manor, Walter surprises his former colleagues and executes a bit of hair-brained genius. From there Walt heads to the Grove where he not only manages to stake out Lydia and Todd but also to exact some artificially sweet revenge in an almost magical slight of hand. Lastly we get the White family closure as director Vince Gilligan reveals Walt from behind a pillar. Yes, this last one might be a stretch as the appearance is clearly designed to create a dramatic moment for the viewer, but in a show that has been so clear and focused with what and when it chooses to show us, it’s hard not to at least consider why. Lastly isn’t it strange that Jesse almost appears to drive right through before he turns the car around and crashes the gate to his freedom?

- He doesn’t get caught, like ever. Not only does Walt drive a stolen vehicle across the country - Marie tells Skylar that the Police know Walt has been driving a Volvo he took from the Granite State - yet he still takes the time to scarf down his birthday breakfast in a Denny’s! Isn’t it also strange that Vince Gilligan chooses to show us that there are Police watching Jr. as he steps off the bus. Is Gilligan trying to tell us that Walt is Ninja-like in his ability to evade the law or does he want us to at least consider that the Police would never be able to see him? Finally, once the dust has settled and the Badfinger song kicks in we watch as Walt falls to the ground and the Police arrive at the scene of the crime. As they filter into the lab they walk right past New Mexico’s most infamous criminal deeper into the lab looking for something else perhaps. Does this seem odd to you? 

Anyway, I may be reading way too much into the last sixty-minutes of an amazing 62 hour ride, but based on my experience with Breaking Bad everything seems too tidy to be a coincidence.  Sure the Devil might be a bit too “Spooky” Mulder for this particular show, but considering where Vince Gilligan cut his teeth I wouldn’t put it past him.

You can say it's out there, but Giligan did float the question of just who, or what, Walt was praying to, with the hint it probably wasn't God on the podcast. And it might explain why, for once, he actually managed to pull everything off.

All of this stuff about him selling his soul or it being a dream seems to be people trying to rationalize Walt being able to do the things he did in the finale.  In reality he shouldn't have made it cross country in a stolen car.  He shouldn't have been able to walk freely about in restaurants, and into his wife's place that was being watched by the cops.  The Nazis probably would have made him pop the trunk, and when he made a point to park in a certain way, ignoring their directions, they would have been more careful.  In reality he would have been caught, or murdered, well before the ending.  Breaking Bad has always existed in a strange, slightly off reality anyhow. 

If you accept the Brock poisoning, and Huell super pick pocket and Andrea just opening her door and wandering out when a strange man knocks in the middle of the night...you should accept Walt's mystical journey.

All of this stuff about him selling his soul or it being a dream seems to be people trying to rationalize Walt being able to do the things he did in the finale.  In reality he shouldn't have made it cross country in a stolen car.  He shouldn't have been able to walk freely about in restaurants, and into his wife's place that was being watched by the cops.  The Nazis probably would have made him pop the trunk, and when he made a point to park in a certain way, ignoring their directions, they would have been more careful.  In reality he would have been caught, or murdered, well before the ending.  Breaking Bad has always existed in a strange, slightly off reality anyhow. 

If you accept the Brock poisoning, and Huell super pick pocket and Andrea just opening her door and wandering out when a strange man knocks in the middle of the night...you should accept Walt's mystical journey.

Maybe, but what was that deal with the praying at the start? 

A broken, beaten man at the end of his rope turning to a higher power?  I didn't really see it as anything out of the ordinary, since pretty much every person who has ever lived (no matter their religious beliefs) has thrown a "hey, help me out with this" to God/the heavens/the universe/karma or whatever in a time of need.

• Like 1

I believe the plane crash was planned throughout. Various episode titles that season make up the sentence - Seven Thirty Seven Down Over ABQ

The plane crash WAS planned throughout.  And Gilligan himself admitted that it was a mistake:  to plan a season out to an endgame rather than let things happen organically.  And he said flat out at the time that future seasons would never be planned out that way.  And I do think that might be why while I enjoyed the finale, I wasn't blown away by it.  Walt has never had a plan this intricate that worked out so flawlessly (aside from the keys, and even that wasn't a big deal.)

I would just rationalize the plot holes to poor writing over Walt selling his soul to the devil.  I'm pretty sure if Walt had sold his soul and was untouchable, he would flaunt that shit for all that it was worth.  Especially to Grey Matter.  Those red dots would have come straight from hell.  (Okay, yeah maybe Badger and Skinny Pete...but even they had a conscience.)

The show was ending and Gilligan needed to make the fans happy and not give them a bullshit "think about it long enough and give it a better ending than I did" solution.  I'm happy with it.  The bad guys die, the family lives, Jesse lives, and if Gilligan gets the right dollar amount, Walt lives too.

Seriously, that ending completely leaves the doors open for the next chapter of Breaking Bad.

(Walt dies.   $10M check later.....Walt is rushed to the ER on life support...pumped full of blood...and "I was carjacked by a group of Nazis and forced to drive here and...")

Breaking Bad is HUGE.  You really think the show just dies now?