DVDVR Message Board

Breaking Bad Final Season Continues August 11th

Elsalvajeloco

http://www.vulture.com/2013/09/breaking-bad-peter-gould-granite-state-interview.html

Interestingly, the writer mentions that he approached the episode with the idea that Heisenberg is dead, and Walt was spending most of the episode trying to get that aspect of himself back and couldn't.

IMO, he wasn't Heisenberg when he left the bar. He's not really Walt either. He's now an angry, borderline insane guy with nothing to lose and the resources to bring about absolute catastrophe.

I think the tragedy of Jesse is that he was a troubled, drug-addled kid who probably would have gotten his shit together...eventually, and then went on to have a normal-ish life. But then Walt recruited him.

Walt being Jesse's former teacher always made the whole thing a lot more sinister to me, for some reason.

I think the tragedy of Jesse is that he was a troubled, drug-addled kid who probably would have gotten his shit together...eventually, and then went on to have a normal-ish life. But then Walt recruited him.

Walt being Jesse's former teacher always made the whole thing a lot more sinister to me, for some reason.

I always had to point of view that Jesse was on the path to an early death... just one of the thousands upon thousands of people that have their life ruined by drugs.  Remember the couple that robbed Skinny Pete & stole the ATM?  I saw that as Jesse's future. 

I thought that Walt recruiting Jesse actually gave Jesse hope, as it gave him something to do aside from just doing the drugs, and it gave him a mentor - which he hadn't had since his aunt died. Also, I always kinda got the impression that Jesse may have been unwittingly introduced to drugs by his aunt.  If she was self-medicating to deal with the cancer pain, and Jesse was her caretaker, then I assume he took her example and used drugs to cope with the pain of her death.  Walt seems to have come along at a time when Jesse was still looking for a way to get out... and in a way cooking meth was a way out. The show just showed how hard it is to get away from drugs... especially when you have them around you constantly. 

• Like 1

I completely agree with that assessment of Jesse and always thought the same thing.

EDIT:  Oh yeah, also, my big bold prediction for the finale.  Everything to do with the Aryans is resolved for better or worse in the first 15-20 minutes.  It's all going to happen immediately, and the rest of the show is going to deal not just with the aftermath, but with something different entirely.  Nothing new is going to get introduced, but the bulk of the show will focus on Walt and Jesse, not on some cataclysmic confrontation with the Aryans that probably isn't going to go at all as planned, anyway.

When is a new Vince Gilligan show not a new Vince Gilligan show? When it's the upcoming BATTLE CREEK on CBS.

I was in shock when I saw the headline that his next show was going to be on CBS. That's like Picasso trading in his paintbrushes for HAVING NO HANDS. But then I read the story, and it made more sense. It's an old script from 10 years ago that CBS passed on, and now that Gillgian is hot shit, they're going forward with it. He isn't running it, and the pilot is being rewritten by whoever is. He *might* direct the pilot, but that's it.

It's basically a cheap cash-in for Gilligan, and more power to him. He can use that CBS money to really take his time on whatever his real next show is. IF there's a next show. I'm hopeful he doesn't pull a David Chase vanish into the nether realm.

I always had to point of view that Jesse was on the path to an early death... just one of the thousands upon thousands of people that have their life ruined by drugs.  Remember the couple that robbed Skinny Pete & stole the ATM?  I saw that as Jesse's future. 

I thought that Walt recruiting Jesse actually gave Jesse hope, as it gave him something to do aside from just doing the drugs, and it gave him a mentor - which he hadn't had since his aunt died. Also, I always kinda got the impression that Jesse may have been unwittingly introduced to drugs by his aunt.  If she was self-medicating to deal with the cancer pain, and Jesse was her caretaker, then I assume he took her example and used drugs to cope with the pain of her death.  Walt seems to have come along at a time when Jesse was still looking for a way to get out... and in a way cooking meth was a way out. The show just showed how hard it is to get away from drugs... especially when you have them around you constantly. 

I don't know, it seem like it Jesse would have been better off without Walt in his life.  Ya, he was a loser drug dealer, but it's not like things are a lot better for Jesse now.  I mean better being a loser than being a Nazi meth slave.  Good video of all of Jesse's woes since hooking up with Walt: 

http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/television/2013/09/jesse_from_breaking_bad_video_every_bad_thing_that_s_happened_to_jesse_pinkman.html

Well being kept prisoner in a pit, periodically tortured and forced to watch the execution of your loved ones is about as bad as it gets, so of course Jesse would have been better off without Walt.  It's just to say that Jesse would have had a pretty shit life of drug addiction and periodic stints in prison without Walt. 

When is a new Vince Gilligan show not a new Vince Gilligan show? When it's the upcoming BATTLE CREEK on CBS.I was in shock when I saw the headline that his next show was going to be on CBS. That's like Picasso trading in his paintbrushes for HAVING NO HANDS. But then I read the story, and it made more sense. It's an old script from 10 years ago that CBS passed on, and now that Gillgian is hot shit, they're going forward with it. He isn't running it, and the pilot is being rewritten by whoever is. He *might* direct the pilot, but that's it.It's basically a cheap cash-in for Gilligan, and more power to him. He can use that CBS money to really take his time on whatever his real next show is. IF there's a next show. I'm hopeful he doesn't pull a David Chase vanish into the nether realm.

He should reboot the X Files.

• Like 1

Going through the season to have everything fresh for the finale and I want to highlight Walt's 'confession' DVD - That scene was fantastic.

The realisation from Hank that his career is over. The chill from Maree knowing it's her fault for taking the 'gambling' money. The issues it raises about trust and communication in a relationship. It also brings up Hanks pride being just as big a weakness to him as it is to Walt, which is a running theme for the episode.

Maree knew Hank would refuse help and so she did what. she had to do to get him walking again even though she knew it would hurt him to find out.

Obviously there was no way of knowing it would ruin his career but thats the point - Everyone in this show is doing illegal/immoral things with 'good intentions' and its biting them on the ass.

Its a fantastic episode and probably my favorite scene of season 5 to this point.

We've had the AMC Marathon on at our house nonstop.  I haven't really been watching, just background noise while doing other things, but man oh man...when Boxcutter came on earlier I had to switch the station.  That scene really bothers me, and I'm not generally the squeamish type.

I'm watching the penultimate episode for season 4 on AMC, and I just noticed Huell stashing something in his jacket pocket after patting down Jesse. It only took me watching this episode four times over the span of two years to realize it.

When is a new Vince Gilligan show not a new Vince Gilligan show? When it's the upcoming BATTLE CREEK on CBS.I was in shock when I saw the headline that his next show was going to be on CBS. That's like Picasso trading in his paintbrushes for HAVING NO HANDS. But then I read the story, and it made more sense. It's an old script from 10 years ago that CBS passed on, and now that Gillgian is hot shit, they're going forward with it. He isn't running it, and the pilot is being rewritten by whoever is. He *might* direct the pilot, but that's it.It's basically a cheap cash-in for Gilligan, and more power to him. He can use that CBS money to really take his time on whatever his real next show is. IF there's a next show. I'm hopeful he doesn't pull a David Chase vanish into the nether realm.

I thought they're going ahead with the Saul Goodman spin-off?

Or will Gilligan have no involvement with that?

This was discussed in another thread...  I'm pretty sure I can call Breaking Bad my favorite drama series ever and I wouldn't complain if someone said it is the best ever..  BUT the finale is so huge. I can't remember the last series finale that was this important in how we view all-time shows..

• Like 1