DVDVR Message Board

Breaking Bad Final Season Continues August 11th

Elsalvajeloco

I don't buy the "saving Jesse" part.  That was literally the cruelest possible exit Walt could have had with Jesse, and as far as Walt is concerned now, Jesse is dead.

I also don't mind adding this was the first time I had nightmares over a Breaking Bad episode since the Gus Fring shows.

I think the whole "saving Jesse" thing depends on whether or not you're a member of Team Walt. I was firmly in that camp until Sunday night, but now it wouldn't surprise me to see Walt cowboy up and take on the Aryans just to get his damn money back with zero concern about Jesse.

On my part I have to disagree.  I've been off team Walt since he let Jane die, and got on "team Walt has to die a painful, horrible death" when the whole Brock thing happened. That said I really, really want him to save Jesse. 

I'm surprised so many want him to save Jesse when Jesse just wants to die, and the last person he'll want to save him is the dick who coldly admitted to watching Jane choke on her vomit and die when he could have tried to save her. Jesse owns some of the responsibility for the life he has, but Walt is just as responsible for ruining Jesse's life. Walt was always the one to keep pushing things further and further, put Jesse's life in danger multiple times, killed Mike, let Jane die, and nearly poisoned Brock to death. Then you think about how many times Jesse practically spared Walt's life or saved his life, and Walt is put in the same position to save Jesse, he doesn't and stares lasers right through Jesse as he's about to get capped.

If Walt saves Jesse, then Jesse needs to turnaround and kill Walt.

Maybe one of the best episodes of TV I've ever seen. Blown away. My only complaint is that Skyler, Flynn, and Marie are around, yet Hank had to bite the dust. Hoping the Aryans take Marie out, to tie up loose ends. Could see Walter hearing about that, begin to worry for Skyler and Flynn, which brings him back out of hiding.

Walt can't save Jesse, the Jane comment pretty much solidified that. My guess would be with Walt wounded from taking out the Aryans, Jesse ends up with the opportunity to save him, but decides not to. I agree with whoever said the gang HAD to be Nazis, as that would be the only way to elicit "sympathy" for Walt, in justifying his retaliation against them. Had just a bunch of Hells Angels did what the Aryans did, most people would probably be cheering them. But Nazi cheers? NEVER~!

Really, Walt offering the Aryans ALL of his money for Hank showed there was still good left in him.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Yeah, I'm leaning toward Jesse being the one to take out Walt now (if anyone does).

Beautiful framing and foreshadowing. Has anyone mentioned this show being the best thing on TV ever?

A question for some of the more die hard fans who have been on board from day one - Was it always planned that season 5 would be the end? Did they talk at any stage about coming into this with a plan for X number of episodes to tell the story and then they would get out while it was still good?

Kurt Sutter with Sons or Anarchy said he only planned 5-6 seasons out but that the network kept offering extentions so he expanded the story and I think it's really hurt that show alot.

Just wondering if BB was planned with this arc and conclusion from the start or if the team decided to just quit while they were on top of the world.

Gilligan always planned it to run just 5 seasons. He thought that if it went longer than that it would just get ridiculous. It would just be implausible to have this guy running around for 7 or 8 seasons without getting caught or killed or coming to some kind of end.

"Ozymandias" set a new ratings record, btw.

She was in her mid-20's with a major drug problem. Jesse was partially the blame for why she began using again. She was doing well until he moved in.

Yep.  When I see Jane's death mention now the majority people seem to have this idea that she was the one who was all bad for Jesse (usually in defense of Walt letting her die), but Jesse fucked up her life too.  Moreso.

Jesse was certainly mostly responsible there, but with Walt, come on.  She was about to kill Jesse.  He was going off to die with her.  The two of them were 100% guaranteed to OD and/or get arrested.  Letting her die was the only way Jesse, who Walt loved like a son, was going to live.  There were no easy answers in that situation.  This wasn't Walt poisoning Brock or murdering Mike.  It wasn't even that bad of a decision.

I'm kind of amazed that maybe my favorite scene in the entire series--that Walt phone exchange with Skyler where he gives her complete legal duress and saves his family by cutting himself apart from it-is getting so little attention. I've barely read a review that's really honing in on how that was his final move to save his family, and the most insane "I love you" ever. Anna Gunn was completely fucking brilliant there as the gravity of what Walt was doing sank in. The regret on both of them was just so thick, and you could tell that yeah, these two people still really love each other and they were both horrified that it had come to this. The idea that Skyler knows that Walt just gave her every last thing he could to give her as normal a life as possible and protect her, but that she'll have to hide this from her son and sister, is just so amazingly painful. It's really all I've been able to think about with this episode.

I take back any drunken, post football predictions from last night.  I kind of think that Walt is going back to save his family, if Lydia/Nazis decide that they know too much.  Then maybe Jesse finds him and kills him?  I'd love to see Jesse kill him.  But then, well, you know Jesse won't get any satisfaction out of it.  This show is going to end miserably.  Which is as it should be.

Jane made a clear, conscious decision to join her boyfriend in his self-pity party. Her major crime is convincing Jesse he should get all of his money so they could keep the party going.  Of all the characters on this show that have deserved to die, she is pretty low on the list.  #1 is always going to be Walt.

And yeah, the Walt-Skyler phone-call was pretty amazing. We'll have to wait and see how far it goes towards absolving Skyler because the previews for next week suggest otherwise. And Marie knows better anyways.

I don't think Marie does know better.  She's been very black and white through all of this. 

Of course Jane was more sympathetic than Walt--even Gus was--but watching her die wasn't even as bad as Crazy 8.  Jesse can romanticize that shit all he wants, but while it was his fault that she got back on drugs, she's the one that had them on a heroin-induced death spiral. 

EDIT: To clarify, Marie of course knows that Skyler was complicit, but I don't think she has any idea of what's actually going on with that phone call, and I wouldn't be surprised if the phone call was convincing enough to make her have more sympathy for Sky than she did before.  And as for the preview, that seemed to me to be a bit more about the Aryans, but I could be wrong. 

One of those amazing moments that got lost in the shuffle for me on first watch but I just remembered as I was reading more about the episode: Hank acknowledging that Walt is the smartest person he's ever met. A certain part of Walt has always been looking for that respect from his family. To hear Hank say that, and watch his reaction when he hears just how much money Walt has buried, was so bittersweet with Hank knowing full well that he's a dead man.

Jane made a clear, conscious decision to join her boyfriend in his self-pity party. Her major crime is convincing Jesse he should get all of his money so they could keep the party going.  Of all the characters on this show that have deserved to die, she is pretty low on the list.  #1 is always going to be Walt.

If you have ever met a parasitic, self-destructing drug couple in real life, you will never ever ever have sympathy for Jane. 

I am so completely pissed that I fell asleep before the replay last night, do not have a DVR, and have to pray I'm not working or busy with band practice when this episode airs again.

• Like 2

Yeah, they begged Gilligan to extend it even to a longer 5th.

Unfortunately, that's not really true. When Gilligan said he wanted to end the show in season 5, AMC only offered him a budget for 6 to 8 episodes TOTAL. Not even the 8-and-8 deal that they settled on. 8 episodes and done. It took Gilligan and Sony shopping the show to other networks for AMC to finally agree to the 8-and-8 split.I sincerely hope somebody at AMC remembers that every time this season sets a new all-time high.I don't know if there was a change at the top of the network, or if they just got lucky with MAD MEN and BREAKING BAD, but they have been doing their best to fuck up ever since. And it must have finally dawned on somebody there just how far up Shit Creek they were going to be after 2014, because they just announced the last season of MAD MEN has been split into a similar 7-and-7 deal. You know, so they can keep milking that teat for every last drop of critical acclaim before they're left with...THE WALKING DEAD...and...HELL ON WHEELS? Lol.Oh, and the just-announced WALKING DEAD SPIN-OFF. They are just grasping at every straw they have left.
  • Like 1

Oh shit, I thought Gilligan wanted a regular season and they wanted it split.  

The Walking Dead is pretty shitty, but it's a ratings monstrosity.  But that's just awful about a spin-off.  

Hopefully Better Call Saul does well, speaking of spin-offs.

They totally struck lighting with Mad Men/Breaking Bad, but those two shows came about at a really solid window for experimental television.  I mean, the only other shows really of that caliber are Sopranos, The Wire, and *just maybe* Game of Thrones.  It's not like anyone has a track record doing this consistently, though at least with a network like FX or even HBO, they've mastered consistency if not greatness.  

It's just amazing that they went from having spectacular taste to having absolute dogshit taste.

I mean, even with THE WALKING DEAD, though they ultimately squandered it's creative potential and it's become a mostly-bad show, you have to give them a lot of credit for at least recognizing the potential of that property. And the pilot is still fucking fantastic.

But ever since, it's been one misstep after another. And judging by LOW WINTER SUN, they haven't regained their footing yet.

Yeah, they begged Gilligan to extend it even to a longer 5th.

Unfortunately, that's not really true. When Gilligan said he wanted to end the show in season 5, AMC only offered him a budget for 6 to 8 episodes TOTAL. Not even the 8-and-8 deal that they settled on. 8 episodes and done. It took Gilligan and Sony shopping the show to other networks for AMC to finally agree to the 8-and-8 split.

I sincerely hope somebody at AMC remembers that every time this season sets a new all-time high.

I don't know if there was a change at the top of the network, or if they just got lucky with MAD MEN and BREAKING BAD, but they have been doing their best to fuck up ever since. And it must have finally dawned on somebody there just how far up Shit Creek they were going to be after 2014, because they just announced the last season of MAD MEN has been split into a similar 7-and-7 deal. You know, so they can keep milking that teat for every last drop of critical acclaim before they're left with...THE WALKING DEAD...and...HELL ON WHEELS? Lol.

Oh, and the just-announced WALKING DEAD SPIN-OFF. They are just grasping at every straw they have left.

I have a friend who still watches Hell on Wheels. He's the only one I know who watches it and he told me that it's probably gonna die soon since it just got moved to either Friday or Saturday night. They're basically only going to have The Walking Dead and despite the show's popularity, it's a pretty terrible show. Sunday nights is the big hangout night for my core group of friends and I and while we always watch TWD, it's usually filled with groans and snarky comments. I really only watch it just because everyone else does and I don't want to feel left out.

Eh, season 3 was an improvement over season 2, but I don't know if I'd say it keeps getting "better and better," because I thought the best parts of season 3 came in the first half and it ended kinda flat.

At this point, I'd say it's more of a "disappointing" show than an offensively bad one. The amazing pilot episode seemed to promise a smarter, more lyrical, longform exploration of your typical zombie apolcalypse scenario, which was exciting; but what we've ended up with is just, like, a really long typical zombie movie that is ocassionally poigniant, but mostly silly or kinda boring or some combination thereof. (season 2...ugh).

I mean, I still watch it, so it hasn't quite crossed the threshold into being so utterly stupid that I can't be bothered to waste my time with it (where SONS OF ANARCHY is waiting for company).